slim67

D180

slim67

This is on FB for 4000 in Greenfield,IN for interested members.

image.png.421454a29861452e7f8778f26f4a301d.png

Achto

Careful @slim67. We are not supposed to post notifications like this. FYI

Edited by Achto

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Just curious... I thought we couldn’t post links to other websites... perhaps mods could  clarify, as it is routine... YouTube, tractor sites, tractor shows etc...

slim67
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I’ve done it just recently and nothing was said. I thought it was an actual copy of said ad?

• Like 1

Achto

Is a bit of a gray line I guess. 

slim67
Just now, Achto said:

Is a bit of a gray line I guess. 

I will certainly follow the rules if the mods are not good with. 

DennisThornton

I don't know but I too thought it we were NOT to post the actual links.  I'll point out something on Craigslist, eBay or FB so the group can easily hunt for it but I don't post the actual links. 

I know I'd like a heads up for specials in my area!

Perhaps a good time for a clarification.

• Like 1

pacer
25 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'll point out something on Craigslist, eBay or FB so the group can easily hunt for it but I don't post the actual links. 

I too do like Dennis and just give a brief of item and location - I think most (all) of us pretty well know the 2-3 most likely places to check.

wfrpalm

Is that a good price?

SylvanLakeWH

Here’s what the classifieds section blurb says:

Please do not post links to ad's or auctions on other hosted on other sites. Any such postings will be deleted. 

Just FYI...

• Like 1

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, wfrpalm said:

Is that a good price?

Often a complicated answer.  I almost never see a D in my area.  Almost never see any kind of GT loader.  My understanding is that tiller is robust.

I'd love a D but I don't need it.  I have a much bigger loader on a 4WD, but I'd like a smaller one.  I'd like a much bigger tiller, but I'd probably go bigger still for my bigger tractor.  How far away?  Where can you buy that kind of utility for that kind of money.

Those were my thoughts when I saw it. 

I'm a bit nervous about maintaining a D and working a FEL on a 2WD machine.  But I'd still like to have it.  That far from Upstate NY?  At that price?  No.

• Like 1

pacer
44 minutes ago, wfrpalm said:

Is that a good price?

That really is something that just cannot be -- even guessed at -what part of the country you are, how bad do you want it, condition of all the pieces, etc etc.

As a sort of example - I just bought a D200 with deck only for $600.... the deck was pretty rusty and very questionable, and needed both front tires, and tank rusted, but the tractor ran VERY well. Hydrostat, steering, etc good and appeared to be very 'original' (not gone thru many owners and with the usual messes that can leave) 

Got it home and  - the deck was totally useless and wiring was a mess, but otherwise still looked good. Did see that the beneath the tins it was loaded with chaff and the motor would have to be pulled to clean properly (neded to take a close look at motor anyway) Right away found the coupler between motor and hyd pump was BAD - dont know how it held together to ck drive, and this a difficult part to find. Then on removing the PTO pulleys found the keyway was wallowed out badly - another difficult part. On removing the original mufflers found they were rotted inside and rustwelded to all plumbing, so on removing them from block broke 2 bolts off ..... To get them out with out damaging threads almost have to have a milling machine (which fortunately I do) So my original thinking I was getting a pretty decent tractor for $600 has somewhat changed......

These are just SOME of the things that you can run into in buying a 40yr old machine that you originally thought was a nice catch.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Paid 2500 for my D200 FEL.  had the requisite picture of the bucket lifting the front end of the tractor (really not a real test of much by the way)  had some trouble loading it as the front tires had gone flat..  Got it home to discover the steering had major issues.  Got that fixed found it had no power.  Opened the hydro that had I was told had been rebuilt....The slippers were in terrible shape and there was RTV in all the wrong places.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Paid 2500 for my D200 FEL.  had the requisite picture of the bucket lifting the front end of the tractor (really not a real test of much by the way)  had some trouble loading it as the front tires had gone flat..  Got it home to discover the steering had major issues.  Got that fixed found it had no power.  Opened the hydro that had I was told had been rebuilt....The slippers were in terrible shape and there was RTV in all the wrong places.

Obviously issues, but after all that is it good?  Are happy with it.  

I'm not sure I want to add hydro trannys to my list of things I've fixed so the Ds concern me.

• Like 1

slim67

Well at least this thread got people talking! I just want to share my finds with fellow members. ( Mods) Please let me know if the way I’m doing it is unacceptable and I’ll do it the right way.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Well at least this thread got people talking! I just want to share my finds with fellow members. ( Mods) Please let me know if the way I’m doing it is unacceptable and I’ll do it the right way.

For sure!  All good from my point of view.

I love a bargain and I love it when folks here share their opinions and experiences!  Both have saved me a LOT of time and money! 

I'm probably going to start another thread, but this adds to my thoughts that it would be nice if this forum had "Stickies" or "FAQs".  Collections of answers for a particular topic, perhaps "Ds", or "Hydros" and so forth.  I've spent a lot of time trying to get all the traction I can and I'm getting there I think but it would be nice if someone else could just go to "Traction" and see the bulk of knowledge this site has is one group if ideas.  So when a topic like this pops up a newbie, or any of us, could check out "FAQs" on FELs, Tillers, "D"s and so on.

pfrederi
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

Obviously issues, but after all that is it good?  Are happy with it.  

I'm not sure I want to add hydro trannys to my list of things I've fixed so the Ds concern me.

she is good now.  but it was a long haul.  Stering Bell crank was cracked.  Pivot pin shot etc...Then to the lack of power. First I replaced the hydro pump and motor with ones from a "good running tractor" BS!!  No better.  Finally got into sunstrand repair.  Filled AGs and wheel weights she will dig holes with the tires.  I use it to avoid picking things up (like mower decks snow blowers etc) or to load up or spread 2A stone.  She will pickup a full bucket.  but steering is difficult.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

she is good now.  but it was a long haul.  Stering Bell crank was cracked.  Pivot pin shot etc...Then to the lack of power. First I replaced the hydro pump and motor with ones from a "good running tractor" BS!!  No better.  Finally got into sunstrand repair.  Filled AGs and wheel weights she will dig holes with the tires.  I use it to avoid picking things up (like mower decks snow blowers etc) or to load up or spread 2A stone.  She will pickup a full bucket.  but steering is difficult.

Stories like this will probably keep me "D"less.  When I think FEL I also think of power steering and 4WD.  But since I've got the compact maybe I'd be happy with a GT FEL without those extras...

• Like 1

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Stories like this will probably keep me "D"less.  When I think FEL I also think of power steering and 4WD.  But since I've got the compact maybe I'd be happy with a GT FEL without those extras...

If you have a compact 4WD and P/S why would you want a GT FEL??  In my case it was cheaper.  My neighbor just got a nice new Kubota 2601 with FEL  $20k....

• Like 1

slim67

As much as I like them, there’s no comparison between any of these GT FELs and a compact. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

If you have a compact 4WD and P/S why would you want a GT FEL??  In my case it was cheaper.  My neighbor just got a nice new Kubota 2601 with FEL  $20k....

Key word is mostly "want" more so than "need".  There are times when it would be handy to have a smaller one.  Times when the lawn is wet and doesn't like 7000lbs.  And I've always wanted one.  Decades ago I saw a Terramite and it left an impression.  I've a PK but not a Terramite.

And!  And this compact is just too big for some tight places I'd like a smaller loader for.

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, slim67 said:

As much as I like them, there’s no comparison between any of these GT FELs and a compact. 

That's what I hear and read and expect, but...   I'd might rather take a chance on an early sub-compact gray import than a 2wd with a FEL.  But, I'm also in no hurry.

pfrederi

A D series has a turning radius just less than the Queen Mary...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton
33 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

A D series has a turning radius just less than the Queen Mary...

No first hand experience but that has certainly been mentioned here before.  Another reason I'm not that keen anymore about searching for one.  But if a good buy wandered nearby...

slim67
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

That's what I hear and read and expect, but...   I'd might rather take a chance on an early sub-compact gray import than a 2wd with a FEL.  But, I'm also in no hurry.

We've got an older JD 4100 at work that is used for plowing sidewalks and I've used it to cut grass. It has a loader attachment for grounds use in the nice months. If it were mine id have the loader on in the winter with a rear grader blade. As much as I love my little tractors that would be out of their league.