Oldskool

Something from nothing?

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If someone else doesn't answer I can check later. 

Stock Wheelhorse pulley?

Stock pulley on the trans, yes. It's so I can bolt the engine down and be in the correct place.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The transmission is about 6 1/2" wide.  The pulley is on a shaft with a key way that allows the pulley to be snug against the trans to about , I'd say, 1/2" away.  What you should look at for a measurement, is the pulley should be flush with the end of the input shaft.  

:confusion-confused:

• Like 2

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

The transmission is about 6 1/2" wide.  The pulley is on a shaft with a key way that allows the pulley to be snug against the trans to about , I'd say, 1/2" away.  What you should look at for a measurement, is the pulley should be flush with the end of the input shaft.  

:confusion-confused:

At the moment I dont have the input shaft in the trans and I dont have a wear mark on the shaft to measure by.

Oldskool

I'm thinking I'll put a Chevy hood on my build this time.

20210224_151909.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

DennisThornton
10 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I'm thinking I'll put a Chevy hood on my build this time.

20210224_151909.jpg

I'm thinking you've been working too hard.  Maybe a nap would help.

Then maybe save the ornament.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oldskool
Just now, DennisThornton said:

I'm thinking you've been working too hard.  Maybe a nap would help.

Then maybe save the ornament.

No,no.. Actually it may be the mid winter crazies catching up to me.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

At the moment I dont have the input shaft in the trans and I dont have a wear mark on the shaft to measure by.

I got a couple I can measure in just a few minutes for you

1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

Midwinter? Really?

• Haha 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Midwinter? Really?

Bahaha yup. Just think, it will keep the engine dry AND I have a place for a picnic 

Edited by Oldskool
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

It's been bothering me for sure!  Temps in the teens used to not bother me but does now.

Thank goodness it's getting warmer with more light!  In the 40s now and it's like springtime!  Except for 2 ft of snow...

Got 5-6 wks and then maybe no more snow!

• Like 1

Oldskool

It's been bothering me for sure!  Temps in the teens used to not bother me but does now.

Thank goodness it's getting warmer with more light!  In the 40s now and it's like springtime!  Except for 2 ft of snow...

Got 5-6 wks and then maybe no more snow!

40s here and the next few days. Only about 4in of snow here at that. At this rate it will be gone by the first of the week.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Mike I've got 2 mid 70s 8 speeds here that have the end of the input shaft at 1-1/4" from trans case to end of shaft. 

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Mike I've got 2 mid 70s 8 speeds here that have the end of the input shaft at 1-1/4" from trans case to end of shaft. 

Perfect. I can work with that. Thanks

• Thanks 1

Oldskool

Maybe I should put an ornament on it. It will make the hood look smaller. I dont have a horse,  of coarse.

20210224_181259.jpg

20210224_181156.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Maybe I should put an ornament on it. It will make the hood look smaller. I dont have a horse,  of coarse.

Really should!  Why not!

But will it fly?

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Really should!  Why not!

But will it fly?

Maybe if I squint my eyes and make airplanes sounds?

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Maybe if I squint my eyes and make airplanes sounds?

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

Stormin

The flying figure would be my choice. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

Well here is that Chevy hood now. Part of it anyways. I've always liked the Seniors  so I thought I would build a bit off that design. The dimensions have been altered from original to match with my frame width and engine height. I'm also going to put the rounded bottom on it.

20210225_143944.jpg

• Excellent 2

DennisThornton

I knew it would happen!  Everything of value and rarity eventually gets counterfeited!  

Enough of that Chev hood to make the rest of this hood?

What's your sheet metal cutter of choice?

When I had the shop I bought an electric Kett shears.  Got an air one as well now but the Kett is pretty nice.  Used it when I put a metal roof on the house.

If you are going to keep building you might want to look at the Bad Dog nibbler if you don't already have one.  I haven't used it much but not because it isn't awesome!

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I knew it would happen!  Everything of value and rarity eventually gets counterfeited!  

Enough of that Chev hood to make the rest of this hood?

What's your sheet metal cutter of choice?

When I had the shop I bought an electric Kett shears.  Got an air one as well now but the Kett is pretty nice.  Used it when I put a metal roof on the house.

If you are going to keep building you might want to look at the Bad Dog nibbler if you don't already have one.  I haven't used it much but not because it isn't awesome!

If I dont mess things up there should be enough of the hood left. I'm also working around the dents that are in it.

I would love to have a nibbler but for now I do it all with a 4.5in makita with cut off wheels.

I do all my bending with scrap clamped or welded to the bench.

That Bad Dog looks pretty good. 

DennisThornton

That nibbler will do things that I never thought can be done!  Lots of vids out there!

And the Kett is about like using power scissors on cloth.  A real time saver!  And very little distortion if careful.

Knowing I was going to put a metal roof on and needed some custom trim I bought a cheap metal brake at HF.  Small one but all I needed at the time.  Since then I looked at the bigger ones...  Pretty handy.

Edited by DennisThornton

Oldskool
20 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

That nibbler will do things that I never thought can be done!  Lots of vids out there!

And the Kett is about like using power scissors on cloth.  A real time saver!  And very little distortion if careful.

Knowing I was going to put a metal roof on and needed some custom trim I bought a cheap metal brake at HF.  Small one but all I needed at the time.  Since then I looked at the bigger ones...  Pretty handy.

Ya a metal brake would be handy too. I only have about 4- 4.5 months of the year that I can really do this stuff then it's back to 14-16hr a days.

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Ya a metal brake would be handy too. I only have about 4- 4.5 months of the year that I can really do this stuff then it's back to 14-16hr a days.

Well, get busy! 

I keep thinking I'll get more done in the winter and then it snows every other day.  More done in the spring but then there's the garden.  Then the summer, the garden, the lawn, fishing, and all the other stuff.  The fall is all the above and trying to get ready for winter including firewood!

Enjoy your time now then!

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

Well, get busy! 

I keep thinking I'll get more done in the winter and then it snows every other day.  More done in the spring but then there's the garden.  Then the summer, the garden, the lawn, fishing, and all the other stuff.  The fall is all the above and trying to get ready for winter including firewood!

Enjoy your time now then!

Ya it wont be long before the tiller gets fired up then yup boat and trailer come in for a freshening. Gonna get real busy soon.

Oldskool

Just a heads up this is probably gonna happen to this build by next winter. 

20210225_172524.jpg