Oldskool

Something from nothing?

ebinmaine

Nice work on that!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

None of ours have anything in that hole. 

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

None of ours have anything in that hole. 

Perfect. Then it wont be in the way of my next move.

Oldskool

A bit more work on the frame.

20210220_163408.jpg

20210220_163439.jpg

20210220_163922.jpg

20210220_164017.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Confused 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

frame

So what's the cradle under the trans for?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Oldskool
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

So what's the cradle under the trans for?

Well I figured if I'm building from nothing  I might do it to disperse any loads on the trans. Tongue weight from towing is now stretched out over the cradle AND the trans housing.  The cradle also runs top to bottom of the trans mounting plate to stiffen that up. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Well I figured if I'm building from nothing  I might do it to disperse any loads on the trans. Tongue weight from towing is now stretched out over the cradle AND the trans housing.  The cradle also runs top to bottom of the trans mounting plate to stiffen that up. 

Well placed idea I'd say. 

• Like 4

Oldskool

A bit more progress today. Front axle is mounted and some steering pieces.

20210221_161405.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

Excellent progress!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

I'm diggin the front wheels.

20210221_163418.jpg

• Excellent 4

Oldskool

I have a brake question. When the brake is applied on the standard transmission does it stop both wheels or just one?

Handy Don

Good one. I think there are two answers to this depending on the year of the tractor.

On the later ones, like my '88 310-8, I think it stops the input to the differential. If both wheels have traction, both are stopped. But if one wheel loses traction, it turns backward while the other rolls forward.

My sense on the earlier ones was that it stopped both wheels by stopping the transaxle operation in a different place (or maybe I'm confused and that was only for the limited-slip versions).

But I could be all wet on this! Transmission experts?

• Like 1

wallfish

It stops the gears which stop them from turning the differential. BUT, when locked up and the tractor is still moving, (Skidding) the wheels will turn different directions because of the differential.

My hot rod tractor would do this all the time when skidding to a stop. One wheel would spin in reverse and it would be the wheel with the less traction at the time so it could be either side or even switch sides.

Soak the brake band in gas for a day or 2 to dilute the grease and oil. Clean the drum. I even roughened up the 2 surfaces with 80 grit.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

I've never experienced first hand how they worked. It's mostly clear to me now. The reason I was asking is I was pondering g the thought of adding split brakes. One off of each hub

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I've never experienced first hand how they worked. It's mostly clear to me now. The reason I was asking is I was pondering g the thought of adding split brakes. One off of each hub

If you get that figured out you could market that. 

I'd be some interested in 2 sets myself. 

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If you get that figured out you could market that. 

I'd be some interested in 2 sets myself. 

I have alot mapped out in my head but I wasnt sure if these transmissions worked that way or not. I'm not familiar with them enough to know. So if one wheel is locked there is still power to the other?

Edit: I should reword that. If one wheel is locked, he trans transfers all power to the other side with no extra resistance to the locked wheel??

Edited by Oldskool

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Edit: I should reword that. If one wheel is locked, he trans transfers all power to the other side with no extra resistance to the locked wheel??

Provided it's not a limited slip differential, that's correct. 

Those pinions will just roll in a line with each other letting the non-locked wheel turn. 

I'd be interested in a set-up for Colossus quite a bit. It'll be quite heavy on its own and also capable of pulling more. 

To a lesser extent, Cinnamon C160. 

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Provided it's not a limited slip differential, that's correct. 

Those pinions will just roll in a line with each other letting the non-locked wheel turn. 

I'd be interested in a set-up for Colossus quite a bit. It'll be quite heavy on its own and also capable of pulling more. 

To a lesser extent, Cinnamon C160. 

I'm going to start working on things  tomorrow afternoon. Price out a few things as well.  I'm not 100% sure which way I may go yet.

• Excellent 2

Oldskool

I had some time this morning to really look things over for the split brake idea. One of the biggest issues I would have is attaching any parts of it to the axle shaft housing. I noticed that it does have a slight taper.  I have to wonder if a clamped on piece would walk around a bit with use without being attached across to the other side. I may have to pass on this idea

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I had some time this morning to really look things over for the split brake idea. One of the biggest issues I would have is attaching any parts of it to the axle shaft housing. I noticed that it does have a slight taper.  I have to wonder if a clamped on piece would walk around a bit with use without being attached across to the other side. I may have to pass on this idea

I'm guessing it would, why there's often a cross rod tying the two clamps together.  But you can't do that?

• Like 1

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm guessing it would, why there's often a cross rod tying the two clamps together.  But you can't do that?

I was thinking that but with rotational and counter rotational torque I would have to have several. 2 at least. Top/bottom or front/back.

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

I was thinking that but with rotational and counter rotational torque I would have to have several. 2 at least. Top/bottom or front/back.

Sounds like are you suggesting that if the engineers had wanted WH to have dual brakes they would have added bosses to the casting? :)

• Haha 1

Oldskool
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Sounds like are you suggesting that if the engineers had wanted WH to have dual brakes they would have added bosses to the casting? :)

Yup

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

More complicated but doable.  Come back and tie into the rear hitch or now your frame extension. 

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

More complicated but doable.  Come back and tie into the rear hitch or now your frame extension. 

I may. Moving onto other parts of the build for now. I'll keep looking at it

• Like 2