DennisThornton

Beginning of a FEL?

DennisThornton
16 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

Mine is a vickers vane pump. No clue on the specs, but works as it should. What’s nice about it is it reversible. There is an arrow on part of the body that shows direction. Flip it n goes the other way. I need to do it to moi t it where I want. Where is it located? 

Plattsburgh NY.  If it ran on an 8N I'd think it would be fine for whatever I'd do with it. 

Thanks! 

JoeM

DennisThornton
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

Does better than I'd think.  LOT of weight in the back! 

Three things come to mind:

A lot of work is moving and not loading and a full size FEL is not needed much of the time.

Front wheel drive is REALLY handy when filling a front bucket!

Power steering is a big plus with any kind of FEL or bucket.

Thanks for sharing the video!  Johnny Bucket PLUS!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Another consideration.  That loader appears to just mount on the front of the tractors frame.  Then he hangs big weights off the stern.  Works OK as the JD has a one piece frame bow to stern.  In a Wheel horse that kind of setup would put significant stress on the 4 bolts (and frame plate) holding the tractor  frame to the Tranny.  That would be like the pivot point of a teeter totter.  That is why sub frames for WH loaders mount to the frame and the tranny bypassing/reinforcing the 4 bolt connection

DennisThornton
21 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Another consideration.  That loader appears to just mount on the front of the tractors frame.  Then he hangs big weights off the stern.  Works OK as the JD has a one piece frame bow to stern.  In a Wheel horse that kind of setup would put significant stress on the 4 bolts (and frame plate) holding the tractor  frame to the Tranny.  That would be like the pivot point of a teeter totter.  That is why sub frames for WH loaders mount to the frame and the tranny bypassing/reinforcing the 4 bolt connection

Good point!  And very appreciated! 

I have a Bolens with tube frame front to rear, several Sears/Ropers and a Cub 147 that might be better candidates IF I didn't want to beef up a WH frame.  Does seem like the frame to trans mount is the least strong part of WHs.  

Thanks!

R. L. Addison

My bet would be the valving would be oversize in looks & practicality. Be extra weight  & awkward in places. Might have to downsize it in awkward places too.

DennisThornton
21 minutes ago, R. L. Addison said:

My bet would be the valving would be oversize in looks & practicality. Be extra weight  & awkward in places. Might have to downsize it in awkward places too.

Nearby so drove to see them.  Way too big for a GT FEL.  Good buy and in good shape for something else, but not for a GT.

BeninCT

I like these- typical FEL puts the load much farther in front of the tractor which puts a lot of leverage on the attachment point so while the weight of the unit is supported at the center of the machine, the actual downward force on the front tires is several times what these would impose for the same load weight. So, make one of these and plan to attach it to a really strong sub frame that reaches back and bolts to the trans/supports the frame at the same time.  “Easy” lol 

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, BeninCT said:

I like these- typical FEL puts the load much farther in front of the tractor which puts a lot of leverage on the attachment point so while the weight of the unit is supported at the center of the machine, the actual downward force on the front tires is several times what these would impose for the same load weight. So, make one of these and plan to attach it to a really strong sub frame that reaches back and bolts to the trans/supports the frame at the same time.  “Easy” lol 

One of the commercial unit's sales features is that it can be used with the deck in place.  That is of no concern to me so I could beef it it with additional support and/or mounts.  This is something between a Johnny Bucket and a FEL and I think many could use it, but maybe not for a Wheel Horse without some additional support. 

Thanks 

• Like 1