DennisThornton

Beginning of a FEL?

DennisThornton

Seems like a good deal to me but what do you guys think?  I asked for more info on the pump.

No photo description available.

Two)  2 1/2 x 30 hydraulic cylinders , one) 2 1/2 x 24 cylinder  $100 each . 
One two spool valve set $25. 
One hydraulic pump $50 or everything for $250.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Achto

That would get the expensive parts out of the way. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Handy Don

Nothing like having the parts in your shop glaring at you to get you moving on a project!

Seems reasonable to me if conditions of the hoses and seals are ok. Pending, as you noted, the pump usability.

You could also ask if there is a reservoir tank and filter holder?

• Like 1

DennisThornton
39 minutes ago, Achto said:

That would get the expensive parts out of the way. :handgestures-thumbupright:

3 of 4 cylinders and from what I remember these sizes are close to what would be needed.  Plus lots of hoses, valve and whatever the pump is.  Came off an 8N so I'd think the pump would be adequate or more than for a GT build.

What I was hoping for was a "Yes!  Good sizes for a GT FEL!" or not...

DennisThornton
28 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Nothing like having the parts in your shop glaring at you to get you moving on a project!

Seems reasonable to me if conditions of the hoses and seals are ok. Pending, as you noted, the pump usability.

Yeah!  I really need more stuff sitting around looking at me!  :roll: AND another thing for the woman to complain about... ;)

Looking hard a the pic seems to me that the hoses and seals are ok, but it is a pic...

And I'll ask if this is "All there is!" when I get a reply about the pump.  Isn't the pump worth around $100 alone?

But still, are these appropriate sizes for a GT FEL?

Achto
2 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

3 of 4 cylinders

If you made the bucket a single ram, self leveling, you would have all the rams that you need.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

This still interests me since it doesn't interfere with the mower deck.  Not sure yet if it's what I'd use...  And these cylinders are too big for this:

loader-lead-image-jpg.jpg

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

If you made the bucket a single ram, self leveling, you would have all the rams that you need.

That's one of the reasons I hang around here!  Easier to just sit here until the problem is resolved instead of building, cutting it up, adding on, bending this, tearing it apart, rebuilding and spending more money and time!  I've learned to wait, research and ASK YOU GUYS!

I don't see them as much and might still want another cylinder but that's really good thinking!

Thanks!

• Excellent 1

Achto
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

I don't see them as much and might still want another cylinder but that's really good thinking!

PF Engineering has plans for a single ram, self leveling bucket.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

PF Engineering has plans for a single ram, self leveling bucket.

I've been on their site for several minutes and haven't noticed it.  I would probably not try to reinvent the wheel and order their plans first.  Might change something but I still think I'd let them be the designers.

• Like 2

Handy Don
11 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

This still interests me since it doesn't interfere with the mower deck.  Not sure yet if it's what I'd use...  And these cylinders are too big for this:

loader-lead-image-jpg.jpg

I think the cylinders in the ad are longer than the ones in this unit. Here I'd estimate the lift cylinder at 18-20" and the bucket cylinder at 15-16". The ones in the ad are for a larger setup.

• Like 1

littleredrider

I have a single ram on mine and does not lack power. It will pick the front of the tractor up just off idle. To me, that is a killer deal. Before I bought my loader I priced it all out. Wanna say almost a grand just for the hydro stuff....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Funny!  I just posted that picture and I had to go back and look for the single cylinder!  I was looking for a single curl cylinder.  That is different!  At least to me!  Don't know how many times I looked at that and didn't notice!

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, Achto said:

And for further proof that I either can't see or count, this was posted on this site 2/10 and I commented on it!  How many cylinders do you see?

image.png.711be61512caeae0f83f61170865e1b7.png

Achto
6 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

How many cylinders do you see?

:lol:

Edited by Achto
  • Haha 4

JoeM

Last loader for the xi had 18 x 2 on lift and 13 x 1 1/2 on the dipper. I used them because they were high quality surplus and  I picked them up cheep. (surplus center has some real nice ones)

Answer, those will work but are a little long. The valve is the picture would cost $250 new, (good quality one). Hoses and fitting aren't cheep. I would buy it and pick out what will do the job and send the rest to the want adds.

I like using 2 inch cylinders and a 8 gpm pump. (have to have a pump that is side loadable if using a blet drive in lue of direct drive) A Lot of time I am not running much above half throttle and it the speed good. The 1 1/2" cylinders on the xi dipper needed a flow control on the tilt back because the area in the cylinder and the rod size combined  made a smaller area and it was super quick. 

I like 2 x 16 all the way around..... only need one spare if you choose to keep one. 

This is the frame from the last build I kind of keep track of the measurements. Might just be a starting point.

PM if you want to know anything else. 

779004329_CapturexiFELframedrawing1.JPG.7721313f0f107883ea619c1ed88f3a9d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead
43 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

And for further proof that I either can't see or count, this was posted on this site 2/10 and I commented on it!  How many cylinders do you see?

image.png.711be61512caeae0f83f61170865e1b7.png

Cool idea - but....

about the first question you asked about the hydraulics,

this Things are definitely the most expensive part on a FEL built. Can i use them -  The Answers will sounds like Radio Eriwan, in princip yes but...
this is coupled on several things to clear first.

1.) how large your build should be in final status on the Tractor
2.) wich liftheight you want reach and how much load you wanna move.
3.) the required speed of move. - Depending on gpm value of the pump and how much cylindres and what pistonsize they have and last but not least also the transmission ratio. That all will effects in different movement speeds.
Hereby the diameter of the cylindre is no guaranteed indicator for the piston size, but that is important to know.
First for the move speed and second for the weight hereby it can move.

please don‘t forget at this construction the double of your load will last on your frontaxle.

if i understand right, you want the mowerdeck additionally have mounted together with the FEL.

In princip all the parts can be used if the be ok.

The price to me sounds ok if all is working.

the pump can be from 2,3gpm up to 6 gpm they be close in the nearly same outline size.

So better to ask before what the be able to deliver.

• Excellent 2

pfrederi

I am not sure the john deere set up is very heavy duty.  What sub frame there is is only on the bow of the tractor.  A full subframe that can have a counter weight at the stern would be much better.   the set up in the picture would be very unstable if you had a bucket of gravel.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
19 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I think the cylinders in the ad are longer than the ones in this unit. Here I'd estimate the lift cylinder at 18-20" and the bucket cylinder at 15-16". The ones in the ad are for a larger setup.

Ad said they came off an 8N.  Now I'm thinking maybe that's not what I should buy...

Edited by DennisThornton

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

Last loader for the xi had 18 x 2 on lift and 13 x 1 1/2 on the dipper. I used them because they were high quality surplus and  I picked them up cheep. (surplus center has some real nice ones)

Answer, those will work but are a little long. The valve is the picture would cost $250 new, (good quality one). Hoses and fitting aren't cheep. I would buy it and pick out what will do the job and send the rest to the want adds.

I like using 2 inch cylinders and a 8 gpm pump. (have to have a pump that is side loadable if using a blet drive in lue of direct drive) A Lot of time I am not running much above half throttle and it the speed good. The 1 1/2" cylinders on the xi dipper needed a flow control on the tilt back because the area in the cylinder and the rod size combined  made a smaller area and it was super quick. 

I like 2 x 16 all the way around..... only need one spare if you choose to keep one. 

This is the frame from the last build I kind of keep track of the measurements. Might just be a starting point.

PM if you want to know anything else. 

Thanks.  I wasn't looking for loader hydro parts but the price caught my eye.  You might have a good idea, buy all, keep and sell the rest.

I have doubts about how happy I'll be without PS and I've only got two XIs that I intend to use for plow and blower.  Might have to find another XI or another anything with PS before I build a loader.

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I am not sure the john deere set up is very heavy duty.  What sub frame there is is only on the bow of the tractor.  A full subframe that can have a counter weight at the stern would be much better.   the set up in the picture would be very unstable if you had a bucket of gravel.

It is marketed as lighter duty that can still leave the mower deck on.  I posted it here now because of our conversation about how many cylinders does it take to make a FEL.  And I'm sure you are right, a big load of rock would lift the rears off the ground.  Would still need some counter balance for anything heavy.  Maybe we could call it a mulch loader?

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

Cool idea - but....

about the first question you asked about the hydraulics,

this Things are definitely the most expensive part on a FEL built. Can i use them -  The Answers will sounds like Radio Eriwan, in princip yes but...
this is coupled on several things to clear first.

1.) how large your build should be in final status on the Tractor
2.) wich liftheight you want reach and how much load you wanna move.
3.) the required speed of move. - Depending on gpm value of the pump and how much cylindres and what pistonsize they have and last but not least also the transmission ratio. That all will effects in different movement speeds.
Hereby the diameter of the cylindre is no guaranteed indicator for the piston size, but that is important to know.
First for the move speed and second for the weight hereby it can move.

please don‘t forget at this construction the double of your load will last on your frontaxle.

if i understand right, you want the mowerdeck additionally have mounted together with the FEL.

In princip all the parts can be used if the be ok.

The price to me sounds ok if all is working.

the pump can be from 2,3gpm up to 6 gpm they be close in the nearly same outline size.

So better to ask before what the be able to deliver.

I did ask about the pump.  This picture has nothing to do with my intents other than to show how to use less than 4 cylinders.  

I have a compact 4WD with FEL and backhoe so I don't need to abuse a little GT with a FEL but it would be handy to have something smaller and lighter at times.  But I'm not sure I'd be happy with something as small as the picture.  Maybe...

Thanks!

• Like 1

DennisThornton
10 hours ago, Handy Don said:

There is a reservoir but all she can tell me about the pump is "Vicker Vane".  So there's some more hoses too. 

littleredrider

Mine is a vickers vane pump. No clue on the specs, but works as it should. What’s nice about it is it reversible. There is an arrow on part of the body that shows direction. Flip it n goes the other way. I need to do it to moi t it where I want. Where is it located?