jf604

New to me, 604 in Boiling Springs SC

jf604

Hello all,

I think I started this thing off in the wrong place. If you go to my profile, you will find my story so far and a few pictures for viewing. I will be uploading more pics as I go. I am open for suggestions and any help you can provide for the restoration.

thank you in advance,

Johnny

IMG_4366.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

JoeM

Welcome to Red Square!

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

wallfish

:WRS:

Certainly worth saving. The 604 is a more rare tractor although rare in this case doesn't necessarily equal high dollar. Not as many were sold compared to the electric start 654 so less of them are out there.

• Thanks 1

rjg854

• Thanks 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, jf604 said:

I am open for suggestions and any help you can provide for the restoration.

The first thing that comes to mind is taking a bunch of photos as you begin to take the 604 apart so you'll know what goes where. As parts are removed you should store them in containers as a sub-assembly so you know those pieces go together. 

If you are unsure about anything please ask questions here so we can help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  I love a good @pullstart story!  It looks like it’s got the original paint yet... just covered up a tad.  I’d suggest the @stevebo soapy water and 400-600 grit sand paper rub down on all the tins, to see how much paint is hiding under all that rust!  You’d be amazed, and it might just need some TLC to get it running.  Sometimes we can appreciate the originality of an old piece more than a shiny red respray... but it’s your tractor, do what you wish with it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I saw your profile story, and the cracked hood.  Do you have any access to a welder?  You could fix the cracks and clear in satin or crystal with good success rate too!

here is a lengthy read, but covers a lot of body work and finish work too of a custom build I did for my wife a couple years back.

Here’s a few pictures too.

140E981E-7D9B-41CE-A009-2335FC584417.jpeg

6147EC3D-4343-499E-AE94-3BF79DA024E2.jpeg

C0F38FD4-6DFF-4B58-B728-E32BAA94AB25.jpeg

7203A83B-A898-4884-8AE0-F67166520CD0.jpeg

Edited by pullstart

squonk

Even still has the Tecky! Makes it even rarer if it will run! :banana-wrench:

I had a 604 growing up. My dad bought it brand new when I was about 5. He didn't cut loose with the extra cash for the electric start and he "paid for it later on cold days. It was a testament to how long the recoil lasted. I started mowing with it when I was about 10. Mowed 2 acres at home plus 2 other yards. Then 2 driveways to plow. Went thru 4 Tecky's and sold it with the house in 76

• Like 1

Achto

• Thanks 1

Slimpickins

:text-welcomewave:

• Thanks 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

jf604
On 2/17/2021 at 5:57 AM, wallfish said:

Certainly worth saving. The 604 is a more rare tractor although rare in this case doesn't necessarily equal high dollar. Not as many were sold compared to the electric start 654 so less of them are out there.

Luckily I didn't get into this to make money then! I've always liked working on older machines and taking things apart just to put em back together and see if they still work or will work. This little tractor seems like a good project and I plan on using it when its back together. Should be fun

• Excellent 2

jf604
On 2/17/2021 at 7:02 AM, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:  I love a good @pullstart story!  It looks like it’s got the original paint yet... just covered up a tad.  I’d suggest the @stevebo soapy water and 400-600 grit sand paper rub down on all the tins, to see how much paint is hiding under all that rust!  You’d be amazed, and it might just need some TLC to get it running.  Sometimes we can appreciate the originality of an old piece more than a shiny red respray... but it’s your tractor, do what you wish with it :handgestures-thumbupright:

I kinda like the vintage look myself so I'll probably clean it up the best I can go with that. Maybe some new decals would look good on a fresh old paint job.

• Like 2

jf604
On 2/17/2021 at 7:15 AM, pullstart said:

I saw your profile story, and the cracked hood.  Do you have any access to a welder?  You could fix the cracks and clear in satin or crystal with good success rate too!

here is a lengthy read, but covers a lot of body work and finish work too of a custom build I did for my wife a couple years back.

Here’s a few pictures too.

140E981E-7D9B-41CE-A009-2335FC584417.jpeg

6147EC3D-4343-499E-AE94-3BF79DA024E2.jpeg

C0F38FD4-6DFF-4B58-B728-E32BAA94AB25.jpeg

7203A83B-A898-4884-8AE0-F67166520CD0.jpeg

I do have a welder. That sounds like a good idea and I will read your post for more info. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

jf604
On 2/17/2021 at 7:31 AM, squonk said:

Even still has the Tecky! Makes it even rarer if it will run! :banana-wrench:

I had a 604 growing up. My dad bought it brand new when I was about 5. He didn't cut loose with the extra cash for the electric start and he "paid for it later on cold days. It was a testament to how long the recoil lasted. I started mowing with it when I was about 10. Mowed 2 acres at home plus 2 other yards. Then 2 driveways to plow. Went thru 4 Tecky's and sold it with the house in 76

It didn't take much to get it running. Clean carb, new oil, spark plug and gas. Runs really smooth, no knocking.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Go to the Transmission section and at the top a spreadsheet is pinned that has cross reference numbers for the transmission bearing and seal parts.  Al in this section you will find video's on how to put it back together. https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/142-instructional-threads-and-videos/