DennisThornton

Different track setup.

slim67

I was looking for something else but came across this.image.jpeg.91c751291d61dbfc1c6017905d2171e2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
Just now, slim67 said:

I was looking for something else but came across this.image.jpeg.91c751291d61dbfc1c6017905d2171e2.jpeg

I was doing to same thing. Lol

20210209_182828.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, slim67 said:

That's the guy up here in Maine. Norman from isavetractors

• Excellent 1

slim67
3 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I was doing to same thing. Lol

20210209_182828.jpg

I’ve seen this before. Plain sick.

• Like 1

slim67
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's the guy up here in Maine. Norman from isavetractors

I wonder how well it works? This could become a thing on this forum.😀

• Like 2

slim67

I think the elevated sprocket may be the way to go where it’s triangular like the add on units. I still like the Bombardier track/ axle setup on the Ford though. If you guys ever watched Alaska: the last frontier, Otto Kilcher  had an old Ford with the tracks.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
58 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I dont think you need the split brakes. It's a plus for sure but I dont think they are necessary. There are alot of dual track vehicles that didnt have them. Several types of snowmobiles had dual tracks and I doubt they had split brakes

I don't need steering brakes unless I'm stuck or in a very awkward tight spot.  Almost never need them but...  So I don't know about skis and tracks and steering brakes.  Hopefully... 

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, DennisThornton said:

I don't need steering brakes unless I'm stuck or in a very awkward tight spot.  Almost never need them but...  So I don't know about skis and tracks and steering brakes.  Hopefully... 

Anything with the 5 lug pattern could probably use Ford Ranger or Jeep Cherokee rotors to make the split brakes. Or even the whole rear drum brake assembly. Make it to clamp onto the axle housing? Use the parking brake cable to activated the brakes?

• Like 1

DennisThornton
26 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Anything with the 5 lug pattern could probably use Ford Ranger or Jeep Cherokee rotors to make the split brakes. Or even the whole rear drum brake assembly. Make it to clamp onto the axle housing? Use the parking brake cable to activated the brakes?

Alright...  I see something there...  And we're not talking 60 MPH or 200 HP.  Ok...

• Like 1

8ntruck
2 hours ago, slim67 said:

I’ve seen this before. Plain sick.

If it were red, it could be The Little St Nick that the Beach Boys sang about.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Man you might be on to something there. 

Clamping to a 2" square tube would be relatively straight forward. 

I been thinking about that sort of set-up for Colossus....

Not necessarily for turning brakes but as an add on to the Horse brake. 

I saved that in my phone's "notepad". 

Thanks. 

Edited by ebinmaine
Added info
  • Excellent 2

DennisThornton
11 hours ago, slim67 said:

I've seen several similar and I keep wondering how much the added rear length adds.  How well does it steer?

Keeps the tractor pretty much intact and looks doable for most.  The add ons could be set to push down so they get their share of the load.  If this works well maybe there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I've seen several similar and I keep wondering how much the added rear length adds.  How well does it steer?

Keeps the tractor pretty much intact and looks doable for most.  The add ons could be set to push down so they get their share of the load.  If this works well maybe there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

One of my concerns with the design like this would be that the tracks would slip on the wheel because you're only on a turf tire but if they were kept tight enough I don't think that would be an issue.

I do like the fact that it stays with the stock diameter driver so it won't affect the speed of the vehicle. 

With the triangle design the driver sprocket is substantially smaller in comparison so it slows down the driven vehicle but that could be made up for to some extent by using a smaller transmission pulley.

It does make sense that turning would be affected but in my particular case this would be a snow vehicle so that's not exactly an issue. 

The main hindrance to me in a design like this in comparison to the triangle is that it puts all of the distance of the track from the center, rearward. I need to be able to use a trailer hitch. I wouldn't want to put it from the center, forward because it would interfere with the skis,.. I think?

Oldskool
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I wouldn't want to put it from the center, forward because it would interfere with the skis,.. I think?

It wouldnt if your idler wheels were up off the ground in front. That configuration would lend itself to turn easier because you are still pivoting at the rear wheels. You also have the track angled upward to pack snow as you go. Much like a snowmobile. I know our excavator has symmetrical tracks and on soft going it sinks in before riding on top. I think the approach angle of the tracks helps alot

• Like 1

DennisThornton
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

One of my concerns with the design like this would be that the tracks would slip on the wheel because you're only on a turf tire but if they were kept tight enough I don't think that would be an issue.

I do like the fact that it stays with the stock diameter driver so it won't affect the speed of the vehicle. 

With the triangle design the driver sprocket is substantially smaller in comparison so it slows down the driven vehicle but that could be made up for to some extent by using a smaller transmission pulley.

It does make sense that turning would be affected but in my particular case this would be a snow vehicle so that's not exactly an issue. 

The main hindrance to me in a design like this in comparison to the triangle is that it puts all of the distance of the track from the center, rearward. I need to be able to use a trailer hitch. I wouldn't want to put it from the center, forward because it would interfere with the skis,.. I think?

Some good thoughts.  I like having options when I commit to go down a path.  What do I do if I hit a dead end?  Being able to change pulleys if the speed is wrong.  And more places for the tires to grip if they slip and so forth.  The rear hitch could come up between the extended rears high enough to clear as the tracks go up and over hills.  Might need a gooseneck setup.

One way to find out how well the skis would work is to either hunt around the Internet or take the best rears with chains, pull the front wheels and replace with skis.  If it steers well then there's hope.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Some good thoughts.  I like having options when I commit to go down a path.  What do I do if I hit a dead end?  Being able to change pulleys if the speed is wrong.  And more places for the tires to grip if they slip and so forth.  The rear hitch could come up between the extended rears high enough to clear as the tracks go up and over hills.  Might need a gooseneck setup.

One way to find out how well the skis would work is to either hunt around the Internet or take the best rears with chains, pull the front wheels and replace with skis.  If it steers well then there's hope.

@giddyap

John could answer that

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

@giddyap

John could answer that

@wallfish

How well do Wheel Horse steering skis work?

Oldskool

Just food for thought. Twin track.

• Like 2

Maxwell-8

Will i ever own a tracked vehicle: probably no

Do i have a use for a tracked vehicle:also no

But still love looking at tracked machines, and thinking about how we can build or adapt one to fit a Horse.

They surely made some neat things back in the day.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

It wouldnt if your idler wheels were up off the ground in front. That configuration would lend itself to turn easier because you are still pivoting at the rear wheels. You also have the track angled upward to pack snow as you go. Much like a snowmobile. I know our excavator has symmetrical tracks and on soft going it sinks in before riding on top. I think the approach angle of the tracks helps alot

How far up off the ground are we talking? Two, four inches?

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

How far up off the ground are we talking? Two, four inches?

Well I think that is a good question. It probably would depend on size of machine and also how deep of snow you want to go in.

• Like 1

Oldskool

You guys have me staring and measuring on my GT, thinking. I wanted to do this to the RJ when I first got it. It will probably happen at some point.

• Excellent 2

Oldskool

What if you worked on this design. Flip the design 180* forward. Mount the little tire/s on the tractor axle. Mount the large tires on a solid axle behind. Make the mounts so the center of the hubs are even at the original height. That would give you your approach angle, still pivoting on a small area. The Ackerman shouldnt bother because of the slippage from skies. If it's done with a standard shift tractor the gear reduction from the drive tire size change shouldnt matter . It just allows for more gear ussage

20210210_100823.jpg

DennisThornton

Never been on a snow sled...  Would like to see the drive mech.

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

Never been on a snow sled...  Would like to see the drive mech.

I have never seen a tracked vehicle ever apart from a tank and a excavator

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1