DennisThornton

Different track setup.

Oldskool
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks right by search. 

I'm picturing some sort of maybe 1.5" wide x 1.5" deep C channel welded to a row of chain. Attached wherever convenient then tightened with the idler set being adjustable. 

Front skis would likely start as (4 x 8"?) Hemlock rough sawn and be refined to a proper shape. 

Hemlock would be good but maybe a hardwood or hackmatack? The latter is a bit more rot resistant and doesnt splinter as much. Just a thought.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Hemlock would be good but maybe a hardwood or hackmatack? The latter is a bit more rot resistant and doesnt splinter as much. Just a thought.

We've got plenty of red oak here. 

3148ISGREAT

I found this while on break at work, the removable ski's are rough but the idea could probably be refined.

• Like 3

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

We've got plenty of red oak here. 

Perfect

Oldskool

20210212_221337.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Yepp. There we go.

I'd have the two wheels much closer. Mostly so I could use a hitch. 

More cross tracks too. 

But the basic idea is that. 

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I picture same size rears closer together and no idlers or bogies.  2" receiver of course. 

AND!  I just thought this morning that it might be worth having the add ons be independently suspended.  Trailer hubs on separate arms each with an air shock.  Deep snow or mud, more air to push the rears down so the front drive wheels climb less.  Independent for better ground contact and traction. Wouldn't have to be the same tire/wheel size but why not if there's room. 

• Like 1

Oldskool

I would like to see a video of that style track used in snow. Without it being plowed. I have to wonder if the same amount of weight was added with a really good set of chains which would really be more effective.

Oldskool
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I love that magazine. I used to get it quite a bit. I like his track better then others. The idler is alot closer to the drive wheel so more ground contact in one area. The cross bars are closer together. The only thing I have to wonder is tire slippage IN the tracks

Oldskool

I may be inclined to add more crossbars though

DennisThornton
24 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I would like to see a video of that style track used in snow. Without it being plowed. I have to wonder if the same amount of weight was added with a really good set of chains which would really be more effective.

Similar to when we briefly chatted about the screws, there's so many variables!  Trying to get through the woods in heavy snow gets a lot more doable with snow shoes, but not because they offer better traction.  Multiple wide tires can help but again, because of better traction?  Sometimes, maybe sometimes not.  I think with the added rear tires we're adding surface area and some traction.  How to test?  I just added more cross links to my 4-links on my  Bolens and I'm pretty sure it pushes better, but how much better?  When Norman on ISaveTractors says that he didn't think his first attempt added much performance one has to wonder if it was worth it.

I'm in no hurry to get this build going, not until most questions are answered as best as we can.  I'd love to see it make a difference AND be something the average handy GT owner could do.

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I like his track better then others. The idler is alot closer to the drive wheel so more ground contact in one area. The cross bars are closer together. The only thing I have to wonder is tire slippage IN the tracks

Yepp me too. 

10 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I may be inclined to add more crossbars though

Also me too. 

I feel like every other link......?

OR. A cross bar with a deeper bite. .....?

12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

When Norman on ISaveTractors says that he didn't think his first attempt added much performance one has to wonder if it was worth it

I caught that comment as well but how much rough surface testing??

I only saw portions of each video. 

Always on flat ground where a chained weighted tire would be adequate so a track system would be of little benefit. 

DennisThornton
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yepp me too. 

Also me too. 

Always on flat ground where a chained weighted tire would be adequate so a track system would be of little benefit. 

Yep!  So many variables.  I'd think that it would have to add traction but not turn it into a bulldozer.  But then as noted, more links, more weight AND I think being able to load AND adjust the load on the rears could help.  Push hard on the addon rears and the drive rears don't have to climb so much in deep snow or mud.  Independent linkage on the rears might be a big plus in rough terrain.  I've not seen that yet but I can see how to do it and if I keep searching might see how someone else actually did it.

With rubber tires the chain/links tracks could be swapped with low traction straps to skidder type links.  No limit to what could be done with the tracks.  Could be nothing more than treads from used tires, decent aggressive treads from ATVs or whatever.  The drive mechanism would be in place to handle whatever one would want for tracks.

• Like 1

Oldskool
38 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yepp me too. 

Also me too. 

Yes I think every other link using that material. I think a 2in channel iron would be fine. I have other thoughts on pad design too. But keep in mind with metal tracks they tend to slide sideways on ice like a skate. Maybe added ice studs? Removable?

• Like 1

DennisThornton
8 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Yes I think every other link using that material. I think a 2in channel iron would be fine. I have other thoughts on pad design too. But keep in mind with metal tracks they tend to slide sideways on ice like a skate. Maybe added ice studs? Removable?

No limit to what could be done with the tracks.

• Like 2

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Things have changed a bit from the old bogie style.

20210212_211729.jpg

Wow!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

. But keep in mind with metal tracks they tend to slide sideways on ice like a skate. Maybe added ice studs? Removable?

I wondered about that too. 

Maybe some added teeth or a row of chain on the OUTSIDE of the track?

(Keep in mind I'm not thinking of preventing any ground damage.)

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I wondered about that too. 

Maybe some added teeth or a row of chain on the OUTSIDE of the track?

(Keep in mind I'm not thinking of preventing any ground damage.)

I think pointed bolts 3 in one pad 2 in the next etc would work. Or hard face in the same pattern 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
44 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I think pointed bolts 3 in one pad 2 in the next etc would work. Or hard face in the same pattern 

Could hard face beads where there's some steel.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

There's still lots on YouTube that I've not seen.  Here's an interesting collection:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kriskass1/videos

Several showing this build:

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Much simpler!  Not what I'd want to build but I just had to share it:

image.png.636d36bed7ea80242b174a339968f88e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

There's still lots on YouTube that I've not seen.  Here's an interesting collection:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kriskass1/videos

Several showing this build:

I'm sold on that design in those conditions. I'm really leaning towards the linked chain for main chains for anything other than snow, but I would be using them for different purposes.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I'm sold on that design in those conditions. I'm really leaning towards the linked chain for main chains for anything other than snow, but I would be using them for different purposes.

I've not watched all of the vids of this build but I'm impressed with what I've seen.  He pulled at a show and practically buried all the tires in a muddy pond besides these vids.  I'm leaning towards using the same 12" wheels but he has got a bit larger still.  I'm not promoting the idea, but what about even larger tires/wheels in the rear?  Seems the more cleats/bars on the ground under pressure the better.  At any given moment the most I see is two for the 12" and 2-3 for the larger rears.  More cleats the better.  He has room for an idler/bogie but I'd rather keep the overall length to a minimum and loose that room.  I don't think it is helping much as is.  Overall I'm impressed!

What are your concerns regarding snow? Especially if the unsupported by the tires track is kept to a minimum?  More flotation with solid track?  Not sure how much that helps without a tire or idler to press down.

DennisThornton

Pretty serious all steel tracks!  More than I'd want for this expected build but maybe some ideas to borrow.