DennisThornton

Different track setup.

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Maybe so, but just how fast we wanting to go in this mode. I could see where it could go 1/3 slower on top end.

That wouldn't be too bad. 

DennisThornton

Hard to get much simpler than this for all home made.

image.png.3e772432832f1aeb57fec1f7bf26575c.png

8ntruck

Looks like those are studded.  

One could play with tire sizes, using a wider tire for the threads than for the bogeys - one, maybe two sizes wider might allow enough wraparound to guide the tread.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Looks like those are studded.  

One could play with tire sizes, using a wider tire for the threads than for the bogeys - one, maybe two sizes wider might allow enough wraparound to guide the tread.

Lots of options and other paths to fine tune it if needed.

• Like 1

Oldskool

Ok, ok.... all this chit chat about tracks I'm getting an itchy welding finger 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

DennisThornton
20 hours ago, 3148ISGREAT said:

This has me at a crossroads as to what I want to do with my plow rig now. I was going to use fluid filled atv tires and as much weight as possible on the rear axle but after watching this video it almost looks like tracks might be more weight friendly, I'll just have to make sure I have a decent tread steer tire on the front or run a chain along the middle of the steer tire.

Any idea what they used for the tracks? It looks like flat iron bent around the drive tire and a lug(?) welded to the flat for traction

chain loops with flat iron bends and I think square stock cleats.  I'd use rebar instead of the square stock...  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Ok, ok.... all this chit chat about tracks I'm getting an itchy welding finger 🤣🤣🤣

Sooooowhut'theproblemizzz???

• Haha 1

DennisThornton
38 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Great!  But screws first!

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, DennisThornton said:

Great!  But screws first!

I waiting on parts and waiting for parts for the mower too. So........

Oldskool
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Sooooowhut'theproblemizzz???

I need a tractor lol

DennisThornton
Just now, Oldskool said:

I need a tractor lol

Some things one just has to address no matter what!  Man does need tractor!  How can we help?

• Like 1

Oldskool
3 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Some things one just has to address no matter what!  Man does need tractor!  How can we help?

I dont know. If I had pieces I would build from them. I dont want to do a total custom like the wife's then tracks

ebinmaine
Just now, Oldskool said:

I dont know. If I had pieces I would build from them. I dont want to do a total custom like the wife's then tracks

Hmmmmmmm....... 

ebinmaine

Not like I got a pile o parts waiting for a good home....

:lol:

Boy I wish you lived closer. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not like I got a pile o parts waiting for a good home....

:lol:

Boy I wish you lived closer. 

I know you do. I wish YOU lived closer. lol  Cant you just get a first full of stamps and send them in the mail? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

I know you do. I wish YOU lived closer. lol  Cant you just get a first full of stamps and send them in the mail? 🤣

Yeah probly! 

• Haha 1

DennisThornton

I think the combined knowledge of this forum could design and build just about anything!  I've spent a good deal of time searching the Web but also this site and while I'm not done searching this site, it's obvious that "tracks" has gathered some attention!  "Dozer" got attention as well, and a build or two, which was my first interest, but a full dozer with all steel undercarriage is more than I would care tackle and it seems most others as well and I suspect that the "bang for the buck" traction lies elsewhere.  That would be my elusive search.  Something most could not only do but want to do after they see how easy and affordable it is.  High bar!  Can it be done?  From what I've seen so far, perhaps!  Perhaps it will be done here?

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Decades before I joined this group I was looking everywhere for little dozers!  Ahh the Mead Speed Cat!  Certainly got my attention!  All steel tracks and undercarriage!  Struck went the other way for obvious reason but I think the lack of steel and weight took a toll on performance.  As I look at alternatives I see that many (most?) forget that weight is part of the traction equation, at least sometime.  I don't know where that line is but I suppose that where there is no bottom, swamp and deep snow, that floatation is king and riding on top!  Otherwise, maybe weight, to get to the bottom and get some bite.

Oldskool
12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Decades before I joined this group I was looking everywhere for little dozers!  Ahh the Mead Speed Cat!  Certainly got my attention!  All steel tracks and undercarriage!  Struck went the other way for obvious reason but I think the lack of steel and weight took a toll on performance.  As I look at alternatives I see that many (most?) forget that weight is part of the traction equation, at least sometime.  I don't know where that line is but I suppose that where there is no bottom, swamp and deep snow, that floatation is king and riding on top!  Otherwise, maybe weight, to get to the bottom and get some bite.

Yes I think ground condition makes a HUGE factor in design. Use is another..

DennisThornton
Just now, Oldskool said:

Yes I think ground condition makes a HUGE factor in design. Use is another..

How to satisfy everyone!  We wouldn't be here if we knew!

But!  If we could design options!  ???

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

How to satisfy everyone!  We wouldn't be here if we knew!

But!  If we could design options!  ???

A set for mud and a set for snow?

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

A set for mud and a set for snow?

And maybe tracks and no tracks.  I'm watching so much and the ideas are all over! 

Right now!  Right now it seems that dual rear drive tires work pretty good if the rears are spring loaded.  And some weight added!  Then add tracks!  Looks like a no mod to tractor set of rear bogies that could also take tracks is a pretty good option.  

Narrow tires.  Fat tires!  Narrow with chains!  Fat with chains!  Then tracks!  The tracks with cleats!  Bigger cleats!  Weight!  More weights!

I really don't know!  But I like options. If that doesn't work then try this.  Then try to stay ahead of the curve!

• Like 1

Oldskool
12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

And maybe tracks and no tracks.  I'm watching so much and the ideas are all over! 

Right now!  Right now it seems that dual rear drive tires work pretty good if the rears are spring loaded.  And some weight added!  Then add tracks!  Looks like a no mod to tractor set of rear bogies that could also take tracks is a pretty good option.  

Narrow tires.  Fat tires!  Narrow with chains!  Fat with chains!  Then tracks!  The tracks with cleats!  Bigger cleats!  Weight!  More weights!

I really don't know!  But I like options. If that doesn't work then try this.  Then try to stay ahead of the curve!

Or 4x4 articulating with canadian link chains?

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Or 4x4 articulating with canadian link chains?

Diamond pattern?