DennisThornton

Different track setup.

ebinmaine

Have to say that's quite a machine.

We've not yet tried moving dirt more than a skim coat with a front plow so I don't know what the actual capabilities are of them.

That said, seems to me that one is getting phenomenal traction because it's pushing quite a fair amount of dirt.

40 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Could you just use ATV tracks? Orientate them to have the lower idler in front or back?  Any of the tractors that have bolt on rear wheels you could just have bolt pattern adapters made and then just restructure the stabilizer struts? The hieght change would probably make it a must for skies 

I'd had the same thought.

Only issue with me is that I'd be looking to make something, not buy them. Just my own preference.

I did actually see an ATV earlier today that was set up with four of those tracks so I have to assume it was 4WD. 

The front set of tracks had an idler that was several inches higher at the front than the next set back giving it the ability to crawl over something or pack down snow allowing the rears to just roll on. 

Not having ever had any experience with machines like this I may be way off base but my mind's eye tells me that I would want the idlers forward of the rear tire and probably as high off the ground as they would be able to go. Six, seven inches? But the step would be in the way.....

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

If we could come up with a fairly easy to assemble bolt on assembly Trina and I would build it. 

Here's a fully bolt on but I don't see much "easy to assemble" in it:

image.png.138581835a6d423e096eb591a3a17a2d.png

• Like 1

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

We've not yet tried moving dirt more than a skim coat with a front plow so I don't know what the actual capabilities are of them.

That said, seems to me that one is getting phenomenal traction because it's pushing quite a fair amount of dirt.

Only issue with me is that I'd be looking to make something, not buy them. Just my own preference.

I did actually see an ATV earlier today that was set up with four of those tracks so I have to assume it was 4WD. 

The front set of tracks had an idler that was several inches higher at the front than the next set back giving it the ability to crawl over something or pack down snow allowing the rears to just roll on. 

Not having ever had any experience with machines like this I may be way off base but my mind's eye tells me that I would want the idlers forward of the rear tire and probably as high off the ground as they would be able to go. Six, seven inches? But the step would be in the way.....

That brings me back to the idea of putting a smaller wheel on the rear axle then mount the original rear wheel on an axle behind. That would give you the approach angle

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Simplest I've found so far.  Not the most sturdy but I like the idea.  Maybe use a 12" rim with cogs and a heavier spring/shock system.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

That brings me back to the idea of putting a smaller wheel on the rear axle then mount the original rear wheel on an axle behind. That would give you the approach angle

I like the idea for the configuration of the track setup but the trailer hitch would have to be extended a fair amount. Maybe not a national emergency but another thing to think about. 

DennisThornton
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Same experience as you and I have the same thoughts.  For traction I think I'd want a forward idler above ground.  Thinking it and doing is a bit different.  Clearance issues abound!  But, doable one way or the other, but at a cost.

DennisThornton
6 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Can't remember seeing that if I have...  New approach to me.  The problem is not the lack of ideas but rather to narrow them down while picking the best OR coming up with a new one, which you might have just done.  Put the clearance issue in the back where there's plenty of room!

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

I like the idea for the configuration of the track setup but the trailer hitch would have to be extended a fair amount. Maybe not a national emergency but another thing to think about. 

Depending on the length of track, yes. A bit longer hitch and a bit longer tongue on the trailer. Dont try to make it up in one spot.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I like that hensu setup

• Like 2

Oldskool
Just now, DennisThornton said:

Can't remember seeing that if I have...  New approach to me.  The problem is not the lack of ideas but rather to narrow them down while picking the best OR coming up with a new one, which you might have just done.  Put the clearance issue in the back where there's plenty of room!

That design will gear things down a bit and add more power. I could see an 8 speed being used 

• Like 1

Oldskool

I'm thinking that track construction may be the biggest question. I could wonder what's the easiest, cheapest, most durable way to do it, but I doubt you can have it all.

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

That's the idea you had to lay down on the floor to envision  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton

I'm trying to get a few things done around here and still check in as I can.  Just saw this:  Worth taking a look.  Has several neat ideas and doesn't even have tracks!  Yet!

Here I've been all about tracks but this has really gotten my attention;

image.png.4016e32e82f92a445bbb4df3a7147525.png

And then a follow up in the mud.  He eventually got stuck but still quite impressive.

Edited by DennisThornton
added a vid
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton
Just now, Oldskool said:

That's the idea you had to lay down on the floor to envision  lol

Why I haven't seen it yet!  And perhaps I wasn't lying quite correctly...

• Haha 2

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I'm thinking that track construction may be the biggest question. I could wonder what's the easiest, cheapest, most durable way to do it, but I doubt you can have it all.

Right now, subject to change after my next find.  I think metal cleats and chains holding them together.  Use on cogs or rubber tires.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

That design will gear things down a bit and add more power. I could see an 8 speed being used 

probably would have to downsize the transmission pulley to make up for some lack of top speed

DennisThornton
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

probably would have to downsize the transmission pulley to make up for some lack of top speed

Depends on usage.  I plow snow with my C-85 for final cleanup in Hi/Hi and at times would want more speed but if I'm thinking dozer my mind slows down for some reason.  Lo/Lo in all my tractors has gotten me unstuck and kept me from spinning and getting stuck. I'd settle for less speed on a tracked vehicle. 

Others might want a "RipSaw".  

• Haha 1

Oldskool
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Maybe so, but just how fast we wanting to go in this mode. I could see where it could go 1/3 slower on top end.

• Like 2

Oldskool

Depends on usage.  I plow snow with my C-85 for final cleanup in Hi/Hi and at times would want more speed but if I'm thinking dozer my mind slows down for some reason.  Lo/Lo in all my tractors has gotten me unstuck and kept me from spinning and getting stuck. I'd settle for less speed on a tracked vehicle. 

Others might want a "RipSaw".  

I believe that is a Maine based business. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
Just now, Oldskool said:

Maybe you could spy on them?  Get some samples too?

• Haha 2

Oldskool

When I worked at a local peat bog gears were your friend. Slow, you were going. Fast, you made enemies. Cause you just made a mess of things 

• Like 1

Oldskool

Maybe you could spy on them?  Get some samples too?

They are closer to Eric lol

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

They are closer to Eric lol

Ahh!  Tag team spy can carry more back!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

When I worked at a local peat bog gears were your friend. Slow, you were going. Fast, you made enemies. Cause you just made a mess of things 

As I've gotten older I've noticed that sometimes slower is faster.  But I still sometimes get temporarily stuck.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Didn't realize what that was until I googled it. Been by it many times. They have one on display out at the front.

• Excellent 1