DennisThornton

Different track setup.

DennisThornton

I keep looking for a simple means to utilize tracks on a rubber tired GT tractor.  I have an ARPS for old Fords and Fergusons but I have no tractor to fit it.  And my 4WD NH pretty much gets where I want to go if I have it dressed in chains so my needs are pretty much filled BUT NOT my desires.  And there's still a need for a smaller tracked tractor.  I could see a mini ARPS for GTs being about as easy as possible but I'd want the tracks to be fairly easy as well.

Wouldn't this be awesome on a round hood Wheel Horse?  Especially a 953-1054?  Pretty sure steering brakes would be wanted though and that might be the hardest or most radical modification of the whole project.

And then if you did that, maybe just loose the front steering and go all tracks front to rear?

No photo description available.

Oldskool
36 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You are absolutely correct. 

Driven by it a good many times trucking and always wondered.....

We would actually have a legitimate use for a track / ski machine for moving firewood.

We have plenty of wood to make the skis.

I guess it would depend on what it takes to make a set of tracks. 

I almost did that instead of the screw drive.

I think some 4 to 6in conveyor belt and some 1 or 1.5 channel and you would have a good start. Or 2 used snowsled tracks

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Maxwell-8

Okey this evolved quickly: 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I almost did that instead of the screw drive.

I think some 4 to 6in conveyor belt and some 1 or 1.5 channel and you would have a good start. Or 2 used snowsled tracks

I agree with that but my crazy brain sees old tractor and wants to make a track out of wood and metal. 

@DennisThornton

I'm picturing a setup like the snow vehicles we have here in the mountains. 

Triangle shaped like a letter -A-. Top of the triangle would be the vehicle hub. Bottom 2 points touching the ground. Tracks all around. 

Completely removable along with the skis and able to be used on nearly any Wheelhorse. 

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
48 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

And then if you did that, maybe just loose the front steering and go all tracks front to rear?

Lock the steering, and using brakes on both sides of the open diff indepandbly to steer.

Ain't the best system, but will work i think.

:text-offtopic:

Or it will go like my small atv: all over the place:lol:

My 2 stoke kids quad is JUNK, give gas it goes brutallly to the right, and when you lift, it goes to the left. The forces pulling on you will throw any child off.

undefined

:text-offtopic:

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

JoeM
12 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Okey this evolved quickly Lambo on tracks. 

Well Dennis there went that build idea. 

Now we are going to start all over. Thanks Maxwell!

:eusa-think:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

DennisThornton
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I agree with that but my crazy brain sees old tractor and wants to make a track out of wood and metal. 

@DennisThornton

I'm picturing a setup like the snow vehicles we have here in the mountains. 

Triangle shaped like a letter -A-. Top of the triangle would be the vehicle hub. Bottom 2 points touching the ground. Tracks all around. 

Completely removable along with the skis and able to be used on nearly any Wheelhorse. 

Bolt on tracks are out there for several 4wd vehicles.  You are suggesting rear only with skis on the front?  Doable I'm sure.  I'd want to be able to drive both rears at the same time and steering brakes might still be needed.  Don't know...

You suggesting?

Pull rear wheels and bolt on tracks with individual brakes, hydraulic or electric.  Pull front wheels and bolt on skis.  Go drag firewood!

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Well Dennis there went that build idea. 

Now we are going to start all over. Thanks Maxwell!

:eusa-think:

Nahh.  Looks great but we want one that works great.  And hopefully less expensive.  Might want two of them...  His and hers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Pull rear wheels and bolt on tracks with individual brakes, hydraulic or electric.  Pull front wheels and bolt on skis.  Go drag firewood!

I'd use a tractor with limited slip axle but let the skis do the steering.

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
6 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Nahh.  Looks great but we want one that works great.  And hopefully less expensive.  Might want two of them...  His and hers.

they converted polaris tracks to work on the lambo, i guess we can make it fit a WH

• Like 1

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd use a tractor with limited slip axle but let the skis do the steering.

No first hand so I've only heard that the WH limited slip made a difference but also that it wasn't as rugged.  Maybe not that important for snow, don't know.

But yes, that would be nice and just let the skis steer.  Plus the skis could have a keel to help with that if needed.  I think it would be just awesome to get it work.  So far I think that the basic idea would work with any GT not just WHs.  Might not have the quickest turning but neither does a stuck tractor!.

Might not need to unbolt the rears but use them with the tracks BUT would have to raise the seat pan.  OR, extend the axle and put the tracks beyond the seat pan.

ebinmaine

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

they converted polaris tracks to work on the lambo, i guess we can make it fit a WH

Yeah, the idea has been out there for a long time but I don't think we need to go that far.  I have a set of these and I've talked to someone who used them and I think this could be done with our Horses.  So far I don't see anything simpler.  Maybe not the most traction but not so extreme that it would be unreasonable to do seasonally.  Could still add front skis.

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

Yeah, the idea has been out there for a long time but I don't think we need to go that far.  I have a set of these and I've talked to someone who used them and I think this could be done with our Horses.  So far I don't see anything simpler.  Maybe not the most traction but not so extreme that it would be unreasonable to do seasonally.  Could still add front skis.

There actually is more traction then one would think. My grandfather used them in the woods for years hailing pulp wood.

20210209_183212.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

slim67

Don’t forget this one.image.jpeg.4e0338b8af41544d16d24a1e63b3ac1b.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Thinking and typing "out loud", 4wds converting to short tracks really help but I suppose that could be implemented with just rear wheel drive. The ARPS uses the original tire as the base and I suppose what you are suggesting is adding the tracks further underneath.  Pull the org tires have your way with the space below.  OK, I'm interested.  I've always wondered what kept these stable and not flipping over themselves in a rut.

Pulling the org wheels takes care of the limited clearance to the seat pan.  

• Like 1

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

There actually is more traction then one would think. My grandfather used them in the woods for years hailing pulp wood.

20210209_183212.jpg

When you compare ground contact from the rear tire only to  all the rear tracks there is quite an improvement in contact area.  My friend said they were impressive until a track came off!  I don't know but I guess that happened more when in a grove and then trying to steer out of it OR when they got too loose or making sharp brake assisted turns.  

There's lot of photos and both ARPS and Bombardier sold them.  Must have been a good market for two suppliers.  I think we should do it!

Let's get a 953-1054, sold the only 953 I ever had, but I want one with limited slip and steering brakes.  Or...

Oldskool
3 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Pulling the org wheels takes care of the limited clearance to the seat pan.  

How about pulling the rear wheel/tires off, replace with a bit larger rim. Attach your boagies to the back. Maybe off  the hitch?

slim67

I’ve seen this on you tube image.jpeg.7f70ed8d2339c86dc82849325d6b291d.jpeg

• Like 1

Oldskool

I dont think you need the split brakes. It's a plus for sure but I dont think they are necessary. There are alot of dual track vehicles that didnt have them. Several types of snowmobiles had dual tracks and I doubt they had split brakes

DennisThornton
17 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

How about pulling the rear wheel/tires off, replace with a bit larger rim. Attach your boagies to the back. Maybe off  the hitch?

Yes, and/or extend towards the front.  Use a HD 2" rear hitch to add a down support.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
15 minutes ago, slim67 said:

I’ve seen this on you tube image.jpeg.7f70ed8d2339c86dc82849325d6b291d.jpeg

Oh my!  Need a link!  I have a few of the old Sears too!  And a crane!  Oh my!

• Like 1

slim67
37 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

37 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

He pulled a sled with it, also has a clone powered long hood he pulled with.

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

Don’t forget this one.image.jpeg.4e0338b8af41544d16d24a1e63b3ac1b.jpeg

Surely we can do that! 

ebinmaine

Showed this thread to Trina.....

Likely a future project. 

Her response: "Why don't we have one o those???"

• Like 2