tallen4392

Charger 12 frt axle play

tallen4392

How can you tighten the frt end on this  is there a bushing in there to replace ??

• Sad 1

squonk

You can drill out the axle and add a bushing. Most likely the pin that holds the axle in is either very worn out or the mounting plate has broken off the pin # 5-04 in pic

https://www.partstree.com/models/61-16ks02-c-160-toro-lawn-tractor-1976/5-000-front-axle-and-steering-3/

tallen4392

Is the axle removable ??

pfrederi

I can't see your video but this is what I did to one of my Chargers.  Made a new pivot pin and drilled out the axles to 7/8" then pressed in two sleeve bearings from Mcmaster. .  In my case the front hole in the frame the pin rides in was also wallowed out so I welded a plate over it with a true 3/4' hole and I made my replacement pivot pin a bit longer to fit in it.

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

pivot.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

tallen4392

So is the frt axle made so it can be removed from the tractor or is it made to stay in place I am just trying to figure out  the easiest way to fix this don't have a welder I guess I could just use it like it is if it is to much work to take the play out of it.  . see. video above

pfrederi

Can't play your video. the back end of the pivot pin has a plate welded to it.  Near the top of the plate is a small bolt.  Take it out and remove the snap ring from the front of the pivot pin and you can push the pin out to the rear and drop the axle.

tallen4392

Ok so should there be some play in it or should it be solid ??

squonk

Should be a little play

tallen4392

I just went out there and jacked up the frt of the machine and pumped some grease in it took up some of the play maybe  it will be ok until the springtime I only use it for pushing snow it would seem to me there should be some amount of play in it also but just how much is too much to worry about ....

tallen4392

So where to start do I take the whole thing apart or should I just find a new pin and replace that to start with what is the most common part to wear out and cause the back and forth play in the front axle any ideas whould be appreciated .. I am hoping it could be a quick fix ..  Thanks

oliver2-44

To some extent you won’t know till you take it apart. However it’s not to big a job, so to start get a new pin and maybe some washers to take up any slack in front or behind it.

• Like 1

tallen4392

Will that pin and plate in the above pic fit my charger are they pretty much the same for most before I order one I’ll have to look around for some washers with a hole that big 

pfrederi

WH #6216 was used on virtually all WHs up through at least the 300/400 series.