The Tuul Crib

40+ year old Gravley with seat attachment Update!

The Tuul Crib
On 2/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, squonk said:

Gravely's! Growing up my next door neighbor had an old  one out of the 50's Round mower deck and the Dog Eater snow blower. It would throw snow over the power wires! :banana-wrench: Guy across the street had the same set up. They both insisted on mowing their yards at the same time every Saturday while I was trying to watch cartoons! :angry-tappingfoot:

:text-yeahthat:

The Tuul Crib

Well last night I decided to take the top end off and do a carb dip. By the looks of the serial number date codes this was a replacement motor. It takes the motor to 1986. I'm thinking this machine is a little older than 1986? 
The top of the piston was stamped FLY with an arrow towards the fly wheel an STD which we all know what that means!

he said something was done to it such as may be being bored out when he got it. Hope to get it back up and running soon. As soon as I figure out this transmission!

:confusion-confused:

0EC40FC4-BDDF-4C5F-AA71-222C4B7C6512.jpeg

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

OK got the head back on it carburetors going to soak for another day or two.

i'm trying to gain knowledge on this machine is a go as to how it works. Friend of mine came over today looked at it and he knows how to run these machines.

so he says anyway. Trying to figure out what kind of oil to put in it. Plus I filled up the gas tank with vinegar and shake it every now and then for the next week or two.

B6F4A128-4064-4B96-980D-973E733C9C91.jpeg

B896B9A7-D6C4-4B43-B190-243B767FD2FC.jpeg

• Like 1

squonk

Is that a 1 speed model? I don't see the Hi-lo shifter. I was given an old Gravely with a snowplow on it like 30 years ago. Only had 1 speed. forward was so fast you could hardly keep up with it and reverse practically ran you over. No electric start either. Love to have a nice one with the hi-lo and a snow cannon! 

shallowwatersailor

I use to belong to this group when I owned Gravely tractors. They have manuals online which should help you. The 5260 is a two-speed tractor.  

https://www.gtcoa.com/

• Like 1

squonk
5 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

I use to belong to this group when I owned Gravely tractors. They have manuals online which should help you. The 5260 is a two-speed tractor.  

https://www.gtcoa.com/

Just curious John, Where is the Hi-lo shifter? I've always seen it right next to the forward/  reverse lever. I was thinking the LH lever in this pic would be the PTO lever. 

4194B834-4788-4317-8995-5AFB506AA47D.jpeg

Maybe the hi-lo lever is barely visible in this pic on the lower left ?

B6F4A128-4064-4B96-980D-973E733C9C91.jpeg

Edited by squonk

shallowwatersailor
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Just curious John, Where is the Hi-lo shifter? I've always seen it right next to the forward/  reverse lever. I was thinking the LH lever in this pic would be the PTO lever. 

4194B834-4788-4317-8995-5AFB506AA47D.jpeg

Mike, I had a 5460 which was my favorite because with the 8 hp Kohler had a nice balance to it. The guy I sold it to has contacted a couple of times that he really enjoys it! Sort of wish that I hadn't sold it. The Direction Lever is on the right handlebar, the Hi-Low is on the left handlebar, and the PTO handle is on the dash just below where the handlebar is attached. It pushes in to disengage and pulls out to engage. For the 5460 the Range Shift (4-speed) would be also on the dash but on the right side.

John

The Tuul Crib

@shallowwatersailor thanks for that info that is a huge help for me! Although I will be selling this machine after I get it operating correctly!

:banana-dance:

seuadr

@The Tuul Crib Hey - what does the wires coming out from behind the flywheel look like on your machine? what color are they? do they have a connector that looks like this:

image.png.0830a069b6603af9ac17916bf84320da.png

Also - do you have a glass fuse in line between your starter solenoid and the "B" terminal on your ignition? if so - can you tell me what amperage it is?

Edited by seuadr

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, seuadr said:

@The Tuul Crib Hey - what does the wires coming out from behind the flywheel look like on your machine? what color are they? do they have a connector that looks like this:

Also - do you have a glass fuse in line between your starter solenoid and the "B" terminal on your ignition? if so - can you tell me what amperage it is?

Ill take a look when l get home!

squonk

Throw that glass fuse holder away and get a blade fuse holder with a weatherproof cap.

ATC/ATO Fuse Holder up to a 40 Amp Fuse, 10 AWG Lead

The Tuul Crib
On 2/24/2021 at 8:38 AM, seuadr said:

Sorry it took so long for me to get back but the connector I have is just like this one 

in your picture.

2C26203D-1DF2-4FD0-A9D8-574F93A191AE.jpeg

seuadr
13 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Sorry it took so long for me to get back but the connector I have is just like this one 

in your picture.

awesome! where does it go? :D

The Tuul Crib

Behind the flywheel. Can't imagine it would be but maybe three amps? 
no lights and no cigarette lighter !:confusion-confused:

BTW do you know if this was an option to have these outside wheels added. The hub between the tires is cast-iron and I'm assuming it's maybe 10 ir 15 pounds?

Edited by The Tuul Crib

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, seuadr said:

awesome! where does it go? :D

Mines a different model but 2 red from fly wheel plug, plugs to 2 blue to here.

20210226_075607.jpg

seuadr
55 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Mines a different model but 2 red from fly wheel plug, plugs to 2 blue to here.

my engine is nowhere near my chassis - was the plug long enough for you? seems really short to me, but, like i said, i don't actually have them lined up.

seuadr
59 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Behind the flywheel. Can't imagine it would be but maybe three amps? 
no lights and no cigarette lighter !:confusion-confused:

BTW do you know if this was an option to have these outside wheels added. The hub between the tires is cast-iron and I'm assuming it's maybe 10 ir 15 pounds?

yep. spacers are just a bolt on:

image.png.43af78938af4646b9742e8abbc0d993d.png

• Thanks 1

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, seuadr said:

my engine is nowhere near my chassis - was the plug long enough for you? seems really short to me, but, like i said, i don't actually have them lined up.

My plug is close to the engine. With both connected there isnt much extra wire there.