The Tuul Crib

40+ year old Gravley with seat attachment Update!

Pollack Pete

Nice.You're lucky your neighbor likes you.Everyone around me can't stand ME.Looking forward to your pics.

• Haha 5

rjg854

You too, huh?   Must be a New York thing.  The neighbor to the northside of my 1/4 mile driveway doesn't like me putting snow on "HIS PROPERTY"  :doh:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, rjg854 said:

You too, huh?   Must be a New York thing.  The neighbor to the northside of my 1/4 mile driveway doesn't like me putting snow on "HIS PROPERTY"  :doh:

Sounds like he doesn't have much of a sense of humor! Snow falls from the sky where it will! Right?

• Like 1

rjg854

So true, but then again it's me.  When he plows snow doesn't seem  to matter to him where he plows the snow or on who's property it ends up on. :confusion-seeingstars:

• Sad 1

Alex175

Gravely's are some fun machines, I have an old Model L that I use to brush hog around my property.  They can be mankillers too, 1 day of fighting that thing around the yard and the next day I feel like I shoveled snow off an airport tarmac.

It must just be a New York thing with neighbors, over in CT I've got a good bunch.  Had two neighbors reach out Sunday and Monday to see if I needed help digging out at all.  That's the good life of backroad living, everyone pitches in to help each other out when it's needed.

Edited by Alex175
  • Like 4

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Must be a Pennsylvania thing also.  Guy got upset at his neighbors snow shoveling shot them both ..went back got another gun shot them again then went in his house and committed suicide....

snow.JPG

• Sad 7

squonk
21 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

The wind is normally from the north / northwest in the winter. Imagine trying to snow blow your drive way if he was on the south! It would be like pi$$in in a fan! :)

• Haha 3

JoeM

gravely.....nice! good deal on the good neighbor thing too.

We have good folks all around us but for some reason most can't get along. Drama drama drama!

It is like the older couple at the end of the drive puts garbage cans across the driveway so delivery trucks can't turn around when they go next door to deliver. And it is a common right away to both properties. go figure. 

Pullstart

It’s great to have awesome neighbors!  At my old place I had a woman come after me in my plow truck with a broom handle or the like screaming and shouting.  Apparently she didn’t want the snow from the easement behind her being pushed off the road into the side yard either.  I simply let her yell and shake the stick until the was blue in the face, then turned my music down and rolled the window down stating if she’d like to chat like a friendly person, I’d be glad to hear her out.

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib

Yeah my last neighbor on the other side of me would bring down a Yuengling or two

course I have to quit working with power tools!

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Stepney

Those machines are something to behold.. the K181 is a nice change from the old Studebaker built T head, and a big block Kohler model.. now that's unstoppable. 

• Like 2

peter lena

TUUL CRIB, when you say seat attachment  ,  did you mean " seat sulky " ?. used to run one of those years ago , really a bombproof rig , cast iron and steel , had the optional WOOD SCREW SET UP ON IT , made fire wood into kindling with no effort . pete

Stepney

Had to watch the sulkey..

Hit a dip in the ground and those handle bars come down mighty hard in certain .. places. 

As the funky little coupling fingers wore, I had mine slip loose a few times and the tractor I was running, (1950s T head model) would go clattering on about it's day without you. 

Some of those sulkey's even had steering.. neat rigs. 

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

TUUL CRIB, when you say seat attachment  ,  did you mean " seat sulky " ?. used to run one of those years ago , really a bombproof rig , cast iron and steel , had the optional WOOD SCREW SET UP ON IT , made fire wood into kindling with no effort . pete

Yea pete thats it ! I couldnt temember 

what they were called. And the seat 

has no tares in it!

slim67
7 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

My next-door neighbor who just sold his house. For a huge amount of money.....

anyway he called me up Tuesday and told me that he wants to give me the gravely walk behind mower that he has had for many years. He said he's giving it to me for being such a good neighbor! This has been kept in the shed for the past 20 years because he has someone mow his grass for him. I'm picking it up on Sunday with the help from a friend. It will have to be in tow which is no problem for my 414-8. 
it has a Kohler K1 81 on it the gas tank is about 3 gallons which will run forever with that motor. Most all paint is intact on it and the decals are all there.

as soon as I get it I'll post some pictures. This thing is a true American beast!

nice neighbor you have. I love Gravelys, built to last.

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

nice neighbor you have. I love Gravelys, built to last.

Yea hate to see him go but he helped me out cause his house sold for 600 k!!

• Excellent 1

ZXT
4 hours ago, The Tuul Crib said:

Yea hate to see him go but he helped me out cause his house sold for 600 k!!

That'll help you out on your taxes too! :lol: 

• Haha 1

squonk

Gravely's! Growing up my next door neighbor had an old  one out of the 50's Round mower deck and the Dog Eater snow blower. It would throw snow over the power wires! :banana-wrench: Guy across the street had the same set up. They both insisted on mowing their yards at the same time every Saturday while I was trying to watch cartoons! :angry-tappingfoot:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jeff-C175

Bad neighbors are a Joisey thing too.  At this point the neighborhood is at peace though.  Me and the neighbor to the southwest "kissed and made up" after a years long squabble just before Christmas.  (something about his daughter and her boyfriend spending uhhhh...time ... behind my garage)

The one a little further south on our little private road (6 homes) gave me his classic Craftsman with Onan twin tractor when he moved out.  I fixed that up and turned a tidy profit (anything is a profit when it was FREE!) ... after it was clear he would not know about it!

The Tuul Crib
10 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Bad neighbors are a Joisey thing too.  At this point the neighborhood is at peace though.  Me and the neighbor to the southwest "kissed and made up" after a years long squabble just before Christmas.  (something about his daughter and her boyfriend spending uhhhh...time ... behind my garage)

The one a little further south on our little private road (6 homes) gave me his classic Craftsman with Onan twin tractor when he moved out.  I fixed that up and turned a tidy profit (anything is a profit when it was FREE!) ... after it was clear he would not know about it!

Do you know you have to think back on the days when we were young and the stupid things we did behind the garage!Just memories being remade!

I have already had two offers for it but I think I'm going to keep it for my hillside!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Well tomorrow I have some plans to retrieve this machine. Seems I can't find anybody willing to come by and help me pull it from one driveway to the next. So I'm planning on taking my 414 and the wagon with tools and necessary things to get this engine running after 20 years in the shed! It should be fun!!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Anyone have the chart for dating these motors from the serial number?

The model number is a 5260.

i'm not taking anything apart until I know more about it' anybody out there that specializes in these machines PM me please!

6F5660EB-A6D6-44C0-B4DC-1818A82B9512.jpeg

850A035D-CB5B-46E4-B5C6-0AA0FF67B6C5.jpeg

2242546D-741A-4F5F-9D1A-A38391887F2D.jpeg

Edited by The Tuul Crib

gwest_ca