oilwell1415

Fuel evaporation

oilwell1415

Does anyone have issues with the fuel evaporating out of your tractor?  I rarely have mine full, but it's usually got about 1/2 gallon of fuel in it.  It had that much in it about 3 weeks ago and when I got on it yesterday it was empty.  I know it's not leaking because I run 100LL aviation fuel in it and it would leave a blue stain anywhere it was leaking.  I also close the petcock every time I park it.  I would expect it to evaporate over months, but 3 weeks is a little quick especially in the winter.

• Confused 1

lynnmor

I think you need to do that test again with actual measurements.

Pullstart

I try to burn it before it evaporates, was the cap open?  

midpack
1 hour ago, oilwell1415 said:

Does anyone have issues with the fuel evaporating out of your tractor?  I rarely have mine full, but it's usually got about 1/2 gallon of fuel in it.  It had that much in it about 3 weeks ago and when I got on it yesterday it was empty.  I know it's not leaking because I run 100LL aviation fuel in it and it would leave a blue stain anywhere it was leaking.  I also close the petcock every time I park it.  I would expect it to evaporate over months, but 3 weeks is a little quick especially in the winter.

I love the smell of Avgas... used it in my race bikes for years 😎

peter lena

oilwell, does anyone else have access to your tractor ? sounds like too much evaporation  if possible , along with the blue stain possible tracing ,  you have almost canceled out , just evaporation , possible theft ?  do you have a trail camera?  could be worth a set up , just to see if anyone is looking for free gas, pete 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Never an issue. Keep mine topped off and never “lose” any to evaporation... stumped...

:confusion-confused:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Maybe it's a gas  thief :ph34r:!

Do you have any leaks anywhere that you know of?

oilwell1415
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

oilwell, does anyone else have access to your tractor ? sounds like too much evaporation  if possible , along with the blue stain possible tracing ,  you have almost canceled out , just evaporation , possible theft ?  do you have a trail camera?  could be worth a set up , just to see if anyone is looking for free gas, pete 

No.  It stays locked in my hangar.  If anyone was breaking into my hangar I think they would find a better toy to play with and if they were stealing gas I think they would take the 60 gallons out of the plane instead of the 1/2 gallon out of the tractor.  Every time I fly the plane (typically weekly) I drain a sample, about a pint, to check for water or debris and put that fuel in the tractor.  That means I'm putting about 1/2 gallon per month in the tractor just from that.  I bought the tractor to use as a tug for my plane, but haven't got the towbar built for it yet so it doesn't get driven much.  If it's not freezing cold I usually drive it around the airport a little a couple of times per month, but not nearly enough to burn out 1/2 gallon of gas every month.

2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I try to burn it before it evaporates, was the cap open?  

No, but it doesn't fit very tightly.  I figured it wouldn't be sealed completely for venting purposes.

And to add to it, 100LL is formulated to resist evaporation since it is used at high altitude and typically sits more than other types of fuel.  Over the same period of time I don't lose any perceivable amount of gas from the plane.

In the past I've never really paid attention to it, but the last time I flew on January 9th I noticed the fuel was really low when I dumped the fuel in so I drained two more samples from the plane just to put in the tractor.  It had a little in it to start, then the pint from the normal sample and the 2 extra pints after that. 

Ed Kennell

Any sign of it entering the crankcase thru a leaky fuel pump?     Petcock not drop tight?      

Pullstart

I think I remember, it’s a round hood?

oilwell1415
20 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I think I remember, it’s a round hood?

Yes, it's a 552.  I was wondering how close the gas cap was to an old car or truck.  We've got a few of those around.

Pullstart

Like in the video, you might just need to ease up on the vent a tad.  Most fuel systems on cars have more vacuum ability than that of a single cylinder.

oilwell1415
32 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Any sign of it entering the crankcase thru a leaky fuel pump?     Petcock not drop tight?      

Doesn't have a fuel pump.  No evidence of the petcock leaking.

Tractorhead

I would check the Oillevel on such issue.

Especially if nothing is visible.

Maybe carb bowl doesn‘t work proper and oil runs thru intake into your Engine and floods the Oil.

If so your oillevel will reach over maximum.

just a thought.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

Achto
29 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

No evidence of the petcock leaking.

Is this a 2 piece tank?? I have issues with loosing fuel in my 753. It must leak through the tank seal yet I never see any fuel on the floor.

• Like 1

Lee1977

Way back in the 80's had a problem of about 5 gallons evaporating from my 'wife's car at night. I saw a couple young fellows hanging around the local store when I filled it up. I had also seem them down a the local gun shop

I spread the word around that I had filled some shot gun shells with rock salt and that some one was sealing my gas. Haven't had any more to evaporate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

oilwell1415
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Is this a 2 piece tank?? I have issues with loosing fuel in my 753. It must leak through the tank seal yet I never see any fuel on the floor.

I don't know if it is or not.  But like I said above, I'm running 100LL in it and any leakage would leave a bright blue stain.

JoeM

I loose some in all the machines that I keep under the lean to. They get the morning sun and shade around 10. Worse, especially in the fall, with the wide temperature swings. I am thinking a half of gallon is a lot. I might loose that in three or more months. 

haydendavid380
7 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Maybe carb bowl doesn‘t work proper and oil runs thru intake into your Engine and floods the Oil.

just a thought.

I've seen this more than a couple times. 

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
15 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

just a thought.

DANGER!!!!:angry-devil:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

I really don't think it would be evaporation. I have left gas cans sit untouched for the entire fall and winter season with no loss.

• Like 3

oilwell1415
14 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I really don't think it would be evaporation. I have left gas cans sit untouched for the entire fall and winter season with no loss.

But gas cans are sealed and there's no place for the fuel to go.

rmaynard
2 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

But gas cans are sealed and there's no place for the fuel to go.

Most of my gas cans do not seal. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

Most of my gas cans do not seal. 

None of mine do... :hide:

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

OK, let's do a scientific test of fuel evaporation.    Measure the surface area of your tank.  get a flat bottom straight sided container with the same surface area.   Fill the tank and the test container with the same fuel to the same depth and store them side by side for 1 month.    Measure and record the fuel depth every day.     Use a depth gage that has been calibrated by the US Bureau of Weights and Measures.

any takers?

• Thanks 1