Wheel Horse 3D

Custom 3d printed badges, ornaments etc.

Wheel Horse 3D
2 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Gonna have to check out the ASA filament. Looks like it may be the same temperature resistance as ABS and works about the same with all the same print issues, but better weathering. I need to find some strength figures.

MORE GEEK SPEAK:

On further review, looks like ABS is still my best option. ASA is more expensive by half, is almost impossible to find in more colors than black and white, and is not available in clear. It also has a tendency to crack in cold weather and requires even hotter extrusion temp( which is even more wear and tear on my machine) ABS is our best option. Some stuff that doesn't require the higher temp i'll do out of PETG(thinking that would be excellent for the side decal replacements) but ABS should be the goto for dash plates, shift plates, headlight covers etc.

• Like 1

roadapples

Just my opinion. Anyone who leaves their tractor set outside for any length of time isn't  going to be buying this stuff anyway....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Just my opinion. Anyone who leaves their tractor set outside for any length of time isn't  going to be buying this stuff anyway....

I'd second that. 

Every piece of equipment we own is out of the sun's rays and covered from the rain. 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Cool stuff!

Are you going to post availability of products and costs?

May want to consider becoming a vendor on this site...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

May want to consider becoming a vendor on this site...

:text-imwithstupid:..... somebody get this guy the dims of a 701 dash! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, roadapples said:

I dunno buddy ...the way my herd reproduces ......:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I dunno buddy ...the way my herd reproduces ......:lol:

Just put up another horse stable. 

WHX??
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Just put up another horse stable. 

Bring your hammer....:)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Bring your hammer....:)

Careful what you wish for bubba. 

:ROTF:

WHX??
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Careful what you wish for bubba.

Bring the Plunge ... least I know I'd get some work outta him! 

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Bring the Plunge ... least I know I'd get some work outta him! 

Hahahahaha. 

@JCM. You takin' this??

Ok ya busted me. 

I'll be head chair holder downer.  

I'd bring a BBT. 

Never seen a single person can keep up with her save one. (One of our hiking buddies). 

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Once i get a couple of these items dialed in i really need a way to process payments etc.

Anyone have an idea of what vendor costs run on here?

The advantage to the 3d printing is, while it costs more than mass production, every item can be tweaked on the fly. You want a custom emblem on your headlight cover? No problem!

Ill keep a selection of options and standards that can be mixed and matched(horse type, wheel type, ) and charge a small fee for extra design work.

The other advantage to DDM(direct digital manufacture) is that the only stock to keep is the raw materials and any hardware.

So hopefully we can work things up to multiple machines running  and add equipment to give us the capability to print multi color.

In the mean time well play it by ear and folks can either paint and finish their own at a savings or the Mrs can customize their paint etc.

Thank you all....STAY TUNED!!

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

I thought aomeone was alrwady doing 701 dashes... thats something else id need to upgrade, get at least one printer that can do larger items say at least 12x12 right now Im limited to 8x8, they even make one that is unlimited in one direction.(would be perfect for printing 3d decal plates for the hood sides)

Back to dashes...if i can get dimensions and maybe even a pencil rubbing of any of the dashes or plastic info plates, ill give it a shot!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

@Wheel Horse 3D 

Might it be possible to light the hood ornament internally?  Is the material translucent enough that an LED on the inside would shine through?  If you've ever seen a mid-fifties Pontiac Chieftain hood ornament you know what I'm thinking.

Is the ABS material paintable?  I didn't think ABS was very good as far as paint adhesion goes?

I'm ready to buy, let us know when you're ready to sell!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
14 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

@Wheel Horse 3D 

Might it be possible to light the hood ornament internally?  

Dude what a cool idea! 

ABS might be able to print with thin enough walls and still be strong enough. I bet if we used a silver filament we could stash one of those remote control multicolor setups in it!

ABS can be painted, but beware that it doesnt like acetone! So no spraying with automotive paint thats been thinned down to run well in the gun! 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Might also be able to print in a translucent or clear ABS or PETG and then paint.

Imagine a glowing red head and white hubcaps!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
28 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

no spraying

Something that small I would hand paint with small brushes!  My wife says I'm a real artist, but I think she means bull excrement!

ebinmaine
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

Something that small I would hand paint with small brushes!  My wife says I'm a real artist, but I think she means bull excrement!

I'm taking that as a compliment. 

• Haha 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Solid color base with insertable translucent wheel and head? Print in individual pieces?

Jeff-C175
Just now, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Solid color base with insertable translucent wheel and head? Print in individual pieces?

I think I would prefer one piece, but if the parts can be solvent welded after wiring the LEDs that would work too.

I would power off the headlamp circuit.

Wheel Horse 3D
Just now, ebinmaine said:

I'm taking that as a compliment. 

1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Lol... usually just like any other project, 

1.sand 

2. Clean and tack(dont clean or tack with acetone) soap and water and or alchohol

3. Did i mention Sand and clean?

4. Primer, a good spray primer will work, LIGHT coats and let dry for a good while you can even use the kind with the filler

5. Paint. LIGHT coats with plenty of drying on between...avoid runs!

6. Seal with a clearcoat. Again light coats plenty of dry time.

7 wax and polish as needed!

Wheel Horse 3D
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I would power off the headlamp circuit.

A 12v led and a resistor to limit the current flow!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

3/4 scale standard ornament...test test!

16125785320884444606480085582198.jpg

Jeff-C175
28 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

A 12v led and a resistor to limit the current flow!

Yep, I'm an electronics guy also so I knows 'bout that stuff.  I would use multiple LEDs. Probably 3 in series.  500 Ohms should be just about right.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Heart 1

Wheel Horse 3D
42 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Yep, I'm an electronics guy also so I knows 'bout that stuff.  I

Dear lord..someone else who knows ohms law!

Lol...whats your callsign?

KE5MWM here!