WHNJ701

2021 gardening projects

WHNJ701

It's winter, I hate the cold so I have been researching, reading up on the interweb for interesting stuff to plant this year. Basically getting stupid ideas in my head and spending money.

Going to expand the orchard ordered more peach, apple and nectarine tree.

The berry garden is doing well going to enlarge that too, ordered purple raspberry, heirloom black raspberry, 6 more high bush blueberry, and try another strawberry variety.

The one side of the property I have been clearing out all the scrub tree's, mostly maple and choke cherry.  I am going to turn that area into all native grass and milk weed, do my part for the monarch butterfly

Always liked the old fashioned orange heirloom poppy's found seeds for that.

Back to the berry's, going to try raising blue berry bushes from seed too.  My goal is to establish about 100 bushes on the property eventually.

My cousin dropped off a really cool seed catalog that sells all odd ball stuff heirloom stuff.  Made an order there too.

Was going to order more Christmas but I will hold off til next year.  I got about 150 in the ground already see what happens.

I gotta factor in too all the heirloom irises on the property,  this year shouldn't be bad, 2022 probably be a fair amount of bulb separating if everything stays on track.

Next I gotta in gear and build some trellis's for the raspberries, some more wire tree cages and put more fence up 

This is going to keep me busy.  Good thing my 9 year old wants to be a farmer.  He's a big part of this.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

oliver2-44

Interesting that your planting peach trees and milkweed.

Stone Wall and Fredericksburg Tx are a large peach growing area in the Tx Hill Country an hour from me, due to their soil.  Each year one of their challenges is a late frost freezing the buds on trees.  Isn't there a lot of risk for that in your area?  

If the milkweed your planting is the one with the large white flowers and milky white sap, here's a story.  In the old day when a toddler didn't stop sucking its thumb by a reasonable age, one old remedy was to set the toddler in a patch of milkweed to pick the flowers.  The sap is quite bitter. So when the toddle sucks its thumb after picking  milkweed, the thumb taste nasty.  I know a few people who say that's the way they were taught to stop, so verification that it works. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Good stuff!  Care to share the seed supplier’s name?

WHNJ701
13 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Good stuff!  Care to share the seed supplier’s name?

PXL_20210127_185755025.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

Nj is a big peach state.  In the ancient days the area I live in was known for peaches and there were several peach basket makers.

Last year we did have a terrible freeze around may 20th. Which they said hasn't happened since the 1940s.  We lost alot.  Alot of growers lost the whole year.  Some of the big growers hire helicopter pilots to hover over there orchards to keep the air moving 

Yeah thats same common milkweed.  It's super food for the butterfly's and caterpillars

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Great stuff. 

Trina and her mom will be expanding their gardens a little more this year as they have the past 3(?).

Adding some more wooden boxes. Relocating some. 

We talked about doing some raspberries/blackberries. 

We've had wild raspberries here all along and remove them from most of their growing areas because they're never in a good place. 

My grandparents had a row of raspberries outside the garden fence. That was the only plant outside. 

Kept it so Grampa could mow all around it every time which of course held the vines back. 

We'll figure out something here that's in an area than can be kept trimmed. 

We've been clearing off the area of trees directly behind the backyard. We'll continue with that which gives the growing area more sunlight. Still at least 3 maybe 4 large trees to take out when we can recruit some additional help to manage ropes and winches while I cut. 

• Excellent 1

6wheeler

Its nice to see all the gardening excitement. There really is nothing else to to do here when it is -20f (today) than look at seed catalogs and order. Sitting in the basement starter area. Today?  We are mixing up starter soil to start  seeds. Got the lights all wired already. Got the heater set up in the planting shed. Just need the snow and cold to hit the road. I too, ordered some different varieties of raspberries to try. Also some new apple trees. None of which will come before it is time to plant. We are trying Baker heirloom seeds this year. The one thing I learned my lesson on? Argonaut squash! Holy Cow. I planted them in my Winter squash garden? Thinking "These should be good". 6 hills (easy enough) in a 22' x 38' garden? Spread to about 40'x 50' area:scared-eek:. I just had to quit mowing around it til it was done. It produced 51.... 25 to 40 pound squash:romance-grouphug:. Needless to say? Maybe 1 hill this year. We have been planting milkweed in our buffers for years. I just save the seeds and spread them where I need them. Also Bee Baum. Not only do the Monarchs love it ? The bees do as well. Got the old White Board out to plan the 4 gardens. Moving the corn and beans around to opposite gardens this year. I would like to grow peaches. Not happening here I am afraid.   CMON SPRING:text-bump:

Digger 66
On 1/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, jabelman said:

going to try raising blue berry bushes from seed too.  My goal is to establish about 100 bushes on the property eventually.

A fella down where we ride the ATV's has a Blueberry farm .