David414

hydraulic line removal

Horse Newbie

@WVHillbilly520H don't you use the solid "down pressure" bar on your 520H ?

Horse Newbie
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's the one.  

How do you attach the bar to the rock shaft ?

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

How do you attach the bar to the rock shaft ?

The bar has a pin on each end. They go into the outermost hole in the rock shaft and of course, the plow. 

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

The bar has a pin on each end. They go into the outermost hole in the rock shaft and of course, the plow

Which of these is the rock shaft ?

20210204_222805.jpg

20210204_222612.jpg

oliver2-44

@Horse Newbie I've used a solid bar on my C-160 auto with a dozer blade and grader blade digging/moving a lot of dirt at a house I fixed up for my son.  Definitely takes a light touch, but I never would have done it without the solid lift bars.  The dirt was a sandy/clay fine granite gravel.  It had just enough clay to be rock hard when dry, but with the right moisture cut fairly easy.   Had a lot of fun and put about 40 hours on the tractor doing it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Which of these is the rock shaft ?

20210204_222805.jpg

20210204_222612.jpg

The rock shaft is the lower picture. The black piece that the upper end of your chain is attached to. 

None of our machines are used to mow so we don't even have the red bar in your upper picture in place. 

WVHillbilly520H
13 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WVHillbilly520H don't you use the solid "down pressure" bar on your 520H ?

NO, and its only for blade work, you do not have to remove the chain or mower lift bar (which is the floating action for the mower deck), some prefer to do that as it is technically no longer needed when using the solid lift link for the front or mid blade. The pics I have added show the lift routing and different front blade lift links.

Screenshot_20201218-214622.png

Screenshot_20201218-214445.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

953 nut

Here is a bit of information on the rock shaft. This picture is for a manual lift if part 46 is used and hydro like yours if part 9 is used.

52685557_rockshaft.jpg.e6cd09cddb3e6102347a8b84587398eb.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The rock shaft is the lower picture. The black piece that the upper end of your chain is attached to. 

None of our machines are used to mow so we don't even have the red bar in your upper picture in place. 

When you say our...do you mean your household, or people up north (most WH owners)

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

When you say our...do you mean your household, or people up north (most WH owners)

My household people... Me and Trina. we use a push mower to do what little grass cutting we need done. 

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Here is a bit of information on the rock shaft. This picture is for a manual lift if part 46 is used and hydro like yours if part 9 is used.

52685557_rockshaft.jpg.e6cd09cddb3e6102347a8b84587398eb.jpg

@953 nut Thanks for the exploded view...look at my pic and see how my part 19 has two arms pointing forward where the illustration says "Trunnion Position for All Attachments".

Do you thing they made the drawing that way for easier illustration or the parts may vary slightly from year to year ?

20210204_222612.jpg

Horse Newbie

@WVHillbilly520H @953 nut @ebinmaine 

Thanks a lot guys...I think I have it now... Gonna screenshot the pics with the bar measurements and drawings !

You guys ro-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-hock !

• Like 2

Handy Don
55 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@953 nut Thanks for the exploded view...look at my pic and see how my part 19 has two arms pointing forward where the illustration says "Trunnion Position for All Attachments".

Do you thing they made the drawing that way for easier illustration or the parts may vary slightly from year to year ?

I've seen the "double arm" (arrows) rock shaft on later tractors. Seems stronger and lower friction to have a "through-pivot" trunnion instead of a one-side only and you can't put this one in one of the "outer" holes by mistake :lol:. Never checked to see if the illustration changed in later parts diagrams! :)

rockshaft.jpg.1101dce3bb176ab37e7dcfd2bf0a50a5.jpg

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

can't put this one in one of the "outer" holes by mistake

Looks like there is an outer hole on the right side arm...see it ?

Horse Newbie

Actually 2 holes extra on the right arm...guess I would use the farthest to the end for the down pressure bar.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Looks like there is an outer hole on the right side arm...see it ?

Yes, there are two more holes, but the center arm doesn't reach to there so you'd need a different trunnion or a clevis & pin to use those holes, right?  You'd have to be very deliberate to go there! :)

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Thanks @Handy Don

953 nut
4 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Actually 2 holes extra on the right arm...guess I would use the farthest to the end for the down pressure bar.

:text-yeahthat:        The extra holes ar made for a snow blade or mid-mount grader blade.

1768403823_rockshaft1.jpg.14efe597b2254e1e76c5a7562f6e5897.jpg

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:        The extra holes ar made for a snow blade or mid-mount grader blade.

1768403823_rockshaft1.jpg.14efe597b2254e1e76c5a7562f6e5897.jpg

Yes sir @953 nut, I have a snow blade...

Guess I need to open my eyes and close my mouth and I may have seen that...

@lynnmor has already been trying to get me to do research/ read manuals for myself, then if there's something I can't figure out ask you fellows.

(But I know he's happy to help as are the rest of you guys)

I want to do the lazy thing and just ask you guys right off the bat.:lol:

I have learned a crap load browsing RED SQUARE !

I think Lynnmor told me " Give a man a fish, feed him for a day",

"Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime"

• Haha 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I want to do the lazy thing and just ask you guys right off the bat.:lol:

I have learned a crap load browsing RED SQUARE !

Keep asking, we wouldn't have much of a site here if everyone became bookworms and answered their own questions.

• Excellent 2

Horse Newbie

Re-installed my hydraulic cylinder on the 520H today...

20210206_133233.jpg

20210206_150616.jpg

Horse Newbie

@953 nut , @WVHillbilly520H , @ebinmaine , @squonk, and anybody else with a hydro...

Please take a look at these 2 videos...tell me what you think.

In one video you can hear a squeal, and the other sounds a little quieter.

The quieter video is after I had ran the hydraulic cylinder through a few cycles.

Does these noises seem normal...air needs to work its way out ?

Guess maybe that whine is normal when the cylinder reaches the end of its stroke ?

Edited by Horse Newbie

JohnD

I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulics but my C-175 sounds the same.  It kind of sounds like a backup alarm going off every time I raise the plow and the cylinder hits the end of travel. 

Horse Newbie
Just now, JohnD said:

I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulics but my C-175 sounds the same.  It kind of sounds like a backup alarm going off every time I raise the plow and the cylinder hits the end of travel. 

Thanks @JohnD...I don't have much experience with hydraulics either.

I'll see what others say, but it is a pretty simple system.

It's probably fine. Don't know if you've read this entire thread, but a few frames up I was talking about my valve assembly/ body was missing the little washer and screw at the back end of the valve body that holds the retainer cup.

Since it was not there, the spool shaft would come too far forward causing the o- ring to come past the front of the valve body.

That, and a leak was my issues. So I replaced the rubber hoses and rebuilt the valve body and cylinder.

I will tell you though...if you ever rebuild, or work on your valve body and if it's like the same style as mine, DO NOT turn the allen head threaded screw behind the cap/ acorn nut.

That is the adjustment for the pressure on the system. Manual says if you turn it and get the pressure setting off severe transmission damage will result.

Thanks for you comments...

20210124_165748.jpg

20210130_170857.jpg

• Like 1

lynnmor

Sounds normal to me, you are just maxing out the pressure when the cylinder hits the stops.  Hopefully you have the screw under the cap set correctly.

• Excellent 1