wind77west

Drive system noise Work Horse GT1642

wind77west

Hi there, looking for a little guidance. I have a 1983 Work Horse (A1-164202) 8 speed with a model 5086 transmission and a 16 hp B&S twin engine. About 6 months ago I started hearing a (like bad bearing noise) coming from the drive side of the tractor, the noise was present only when I released the clutch (it did not matter if the transmission was in gear or neutral) General inspection I did not notice anything. The idler pulley felt a little rough so I replaced it and no change in the noise, I then changed the oil in the transmission, did not think that would change anything and it didn’t. The only items that I can think of left is the transmission input shaft bearing or the engine output shaft bearing, both items I would rather not go there. Does anyone have any other possible solution?

stevasaurus

1st...you could take off the drive belt and run the engine.  That would narrow it down to engine or transmission.

if transmission, put belt back on, and without guard on, start up horse in gear with rear end on blocks.  Use long screw driver like a stethoscope and listen to places on the transmission casting where the bearings would be.  You may be able to determine the bearing from doing that.  A short video posted here could help us to help you more.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Achto
3 hours ago, wind77west said:

The only items that I can think of left is the transmission input shaft bearing or the engine output shaft bearing, both items I would rather not go there. Does anyone have any other possible solution?

Stevasaurus gave some good advice. Go through the checks that he listed.

If you do have to go into the transmission don't be scared. It's not as bad as you think. I tore one down last Sunday and put it back together the same day.  Steve has some great video's on rebuilding them to help you out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

:popcorn:

I've got a similar noise on my '73 14-8.  My initial thought is the idler pulley, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Be interesting to see what you find out.

wind77west

Thanks for the ideas. Will try them tomorrow when the barn is a little warmer (no heat). I will keep you posted.

• Like 2

wind77west

Well I started my troubleshooting today and it turns out to be short lived. I started by looking under the tractor for a good place to jack it up and what to my surprise I found the drive belt with the incorrect routing (see photo). I proceeded to correct the routing of the belt (see photo). I started the tractor and what to my surprise the noise had gone away. To verify the cause I but the belt back to the incorrect routing and started the tractor and low and behold the noise came back. This told me I found the problem. The only way I can figure is when the original noise started and I found a bad idler pulley and replaced it I installed the belt guard incorrectly with the belt routing causing the noise. Well the tractor got some extra maintenance (transmission oil change) which it needed.

Thanks for all the input.

incorrect routing.jpg

correct belt routing.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Excellent!!  9 times out of 10, it turns out to be something that is easy to fix.  :greetings-clappingyellow: