bc.gold

The Hub

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, bcgold said:

Thanks, but something else much more important I need the outside diameter of the hub.

It's between 5-1/2" and 6". 

I can double check tomorrow. 

• Excellent 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It's between 5-1/2" and 6". 

I can double check tomorrow. 

An estimated measurement of the length and diameter of the collar , the off the shelf parts with the manufacture of the face plate, drilling and threading holes then finally welding makes it very expensive.

What I have in mind is a casting, like the OEM part straight keyed bore the holes drilled instead of threading use push in wheel studs.

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

This project gives me something to keep me busy, have not used the induction furnace since moving onto this property as it needs good clean mineral free water to cool the inside transformers as well the induction coil.

Our water from the well has a lot of mineral.

The one day found an air dryer from a dental lab at the landfill and thought why not use it to cool a liquid like antifreeze and have a self contained system. The air  dryer works basically its just a refrigerator with a cooling plate for the air to pass over. Any humidity in the air condenses onto the cold plate.

The heating coil on the furnace is in a fixed position and it's not convenient to remove a crucible full of molten metal, I have always had in mind to make a tilting crucible the problem was that the flexible cooling line also had to supply power to the melting coil. Until this evening did not know how to accomplish this.

Any silicon type hose with a copper cable inside connected to the copper or brass connectors, similar to water cooled welding or Tig cable..

The crucibles offered commercially have become very expensive  and they do not last very long, the tilting crucible will put the fun back into this hobby. The crucible is lined with a castable refractory. with the induction coil embedded. Hopefully I can get the refractory in Winnipeg.

As for the wood the piece I wanted is missing, the odd looking thing below is a pattern I had made to cast a centrifuge bowl for gold recovery. Experimental model later made from a solid piece of polypropylene

For this project I'll keep an eye open for any headboards made from maple that find their way into the landfill.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

No shortage, brand new OEM hub.

spacer.png