Jim Turner

Adding Hydraulics to a Raider 14. Or PTO driven tiller on a 953/1054

Jim Turner

Has anyone added hydraulics to a Raider 14? I am liking the Raider 12 or 14 to use in the garden pulling a tiller or other implements but would really appreciate if I could add Hydraulics to it. but I don't really want to use the PTO to run a hydraulic pump. I could use a 953 i guess but I does not have not seen anyone mount a tiller on the back that does not require its own engine. I bet someome on here has figured out how to mount a rear tiller on their 953/1054 or hydraulics on their gear shift wheel horse. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
  • Like 1

Achto
24 minutes ago, Jim Turner said:

Has anyone added hydraulics to a Raider 14?

I added a Hien Werner pump to my Raider 12. Unlike the pumps that they made for the :wh: tractors, my pump turns clock wise and had to be driven from the flywheel side.

DSCN1928-min.JPG.d06cfbf0a8ca879d85de8b1a34a29cb9.JPGDSCN1932-min.JPG.ad43c737053115b80b191bf1c97124f5.JPGDSCN1934-min.JPG.4b2b71d88440023ee7b58ab7e76000b3.JPG

• Excellent 6
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

@953 nut?  Is there a tiller setup for 953 / 1054’s?

Jim Turner
15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I am looking for a tiller and linkage that can allow it to be run off the tractor PTO and not a separate motor.

Jim Turner
19 minutes ago, Achto said:

DSCN1928-min.JPG.d06cfbf0a8ca879d85de8b1a34a29cb9.JPGDSCN1932-min.JPG.ad43c737053115b80b191bf1c97124f5.JPGDSCN1934-min.JPG.4b2b71d88440023ee7b58ab7e76000b3.JPG

I love it. that looks great.. I had a feeling the best way to add hydraulics would of been off that side of the engine. great job. and thanks for the responce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
23 minutes ago, Achto said:

I added a Hien Werner pump to my Raider 12. Unlike the pumps that they made for the :wh: tractors, my pump turns clock wise and had to be driven from the flywheel side.

@Achto, I see you've connected the pump to a "standard" WH cylinder/rockshaft. How did you calculate the capacity/limits of that system to choose the pump?

I've often wondered if the Eaton 1100 charge pump could handle a second cylinder mounted somewhere else on the tractor (with separate controls, of course). Is there a way to determine this?

Also, do you (or does anyone) know what are the actual lift capacities of the WH systems? I know the later 520-H's system could lift the 60" deck and I understand that is 300+ lbs.

Pullstart

@Handy Don my guess is Dan whipped out his eyecrometer and said “yep, that aughtta work!” And tossed it on.

Edited by pullstart
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Achto
22 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I see you've connected the pump to a "standard" WH cylinder/rockshaft. How did you calculate the capacity/limits of that system to choose the pump?

15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

my guess is Dan whipped out his eyecrometer and said “yep, that aughtta work!” And tossed it on.

:text-yeahthat::ROTF:

Yep! It was more of a "fly by the seat of your pants".

The add on :wh: HY pumps ran the lift cylinder in about the same place as I have mine mounted. I figured if it work as a factory add on, that it should work the way I have it also. It lifts my moldboard plow, and so far every other implement that I have attached to it.

As far as lift limits - I have calculated that when I find something that the hydraulics won't pick up, then that item is too heavy.:thumbs2:

Truthfully, I think that the small cable running to the slot hitch would be more of a limitation than the Hien Werner setup. 

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 2

Herder

:popcorn:

Handy Don
9 minutes ago, Achto said:

As far as lift limits - I have calculated that when I find something that the hydraulics won't pick up, then that item is too heavy.:thumbs2:

You and @pullstart oughta form an act together :lol:

FWIW, my rough calc on the travel geometry of the cylinder throw (~4") and the lower lift arm at the lift pin (~6") and a 325 lbs. deck means the cylinder force must be at least 450 lbs. I read somewhere that the charge pump should put out 700 psi so this makes sense if the piston has a bit less than 1 sq inch of surface.

• Like 2

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

You and @pullstart oughta form an act together :lol:

FWIW, my rough calc on the travel geometry of the cylinder throw (~4") and the lower lift arm at the lift pin (~6") and a 325 lbs. deck means the cylinder force must be at least 450 lbs. I read somewhere that the charge pump should put out 700 psi so this makes sense if the piston has a bit less than 1 sq inch of surface.

Our act gets better, when Uncle Jim’s in the wheelchair!  

F8DAC1DB-FF6E-4F42-814D-BC73A9AE927D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 1

pfrederi

The sunstrand hydros can handle two lift cylinders as on a D series with 3pt.  Have operated both at once but with out any load on the midmount.  Just a bit slower.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Goldnboy

I have done a similar conversion of adding dual hydraulics to a B80-8 now with a K321 from @richmondred. There is a build thread that I created last winter on this. 

20200621_090151.jpg

20200621_090157.jpg

Edited by Goldnboy
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

To my knowledge there wasn't a tiller for the 953/1054 but there is no reason a tiller from a later model couldn't be used with some slight modifications. Tillers are best mounted to a six speed/eight speed tractor and I'm not too sure a 953 in first gear would be slow enough for good tilling.

1434523190_953brochure.jpg.834070fe72e172c8683c80e374dccdea.jpg

• Like 3

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

To my knowledge there wasn't a tiller for the 953/1054 but there is no reason a tiller from a later model couldn't be used with some slight modifications. Tillers are best mounted to a six speed/eight speed tractor and I'm not too sure a 953 in first gear would be slow enough for good tilling.

I know a guy with a low range in a 953 :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I know a guy with a low range in a 953 :handgestures-thumbupright:

Doesn't take a great deal of talent to do that swap,  :P    even an old cave man like me can do it..

• Haha 2

DennisThornton
27 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I owned a 953 for less than one day.  How many speed trans?

Pullstart
30 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I owned a 953 for less than one day.  How many speed trans?

They are all 3 speeds, unless a 6 or 8 speed gets swapped in.  I bought “Hot Wheels“ from Richard so I figured I could joke about that with him.:handgestures-thumbupright:

DennisThornton

How odd!  First that I didn't know (or forgot...)

Second that the biggest bestest only had a 3 spd.

OK, I have a couple older WH rollers that I've never used but all my runners have Hi/Lo or hydro.

When did WH come out with the Hi/Lo?

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

How odd!  First that I didn't know (or forgot...)

Second that the biggest bestest only had a 3 spd.

OK, I have a couple older WH rollers that I've never used but all my runners have Hi/Lo or hydro.

When did WH come out with the Hi/Lo?

The 953 / 1054 has a special transmission too.  Because of the hydraulics inside the frame, the bolt pattern is not your standard square 4 bolt.  It’s an odd shaped 4 bolt.  The differential is also beveled spider gears like an automotive diff and is known to be not quite as durable as the round pinion diff.  I THINK ‘64 started offering hi/low range.  Some 854’s were optioned with low range if I recall.

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

The 953 / 1054 has a special transmission too.  Because of the hydraulics inside the frame, the bolt pattern is not your standard square 4 bolt.  It’s an odd shaped 4 bolt.  The differential is also beveled spider gears like an automotive diff and is known to be not quite as durable as the round pinion diff.  I THINK ‘64 started offering hi/low range.  Some 854’s were optioned with low range if I recall.

Thanks buddy!

• Thanks 1