ebinmaine

Headed downward again. :-)

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

:wh: mass of water.

Excellent usage of an emoji!

And you are correct. Water water water water water. 

I've always struggled to take in enough fluids. 

I have learned over the years that if I add a little bit of juice to my water as a flavoring it makes it much more bearable.

On a decent sized hike I go through two or three quarts and then more when I get back. 

Big long days I've consumed as much as five or six quarts.

Down about 3 lb from start weight this morning.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Down about 3 lb from start weight this morning

:greetings-clapyellow:

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
On 1/22/2021 at 8:40 AM, pullstart said:

different ways of preparing helps

So these are in the pan from which you just took some of that bartered bacon, right?

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175

I mentioned my weight loss in another thread recently.  After being diagnosed as type 2 diabetic my diet has excluded all added sugar, I've been 'counting carbs' and practicing portion control.  That combined with the fact that the Metformin diabetes tablets tend to trigger weight loss I've been successful in dropping 50 lbs in the past year+.  I've got a drawer full of jeans that are 38 waist and look like clown pants on me.  I still wear them with my belt cinched up tight.  Wifey just bought me some new jeans in a 34 waist and they are not 'tight'.  I'm now at 175 and plan to stay there.  My last A1C check was 5.7, just a tenth of a point over 'normal range'.  I believe the diabetes is in remission and want to get off the Metformin but Doc says "not yet, let's go 3 more months and check again"

I empathize with the carrying of that extra weight.  I carried a couple 60 lb bags of mortar mix from the truck to the garage and was uhhh... let's say 'winded'.  I had been carrying almost that much around with me everywhere I went!  No wonder I had no energy reserves!

Other than the age related aches and pains of arthritis, I feel pretty good now.  Hope it stays that way!

A tip that the doc gave me,  use SMALLER DINNER PLATES!  and by golly, it really does help!  You tend to load every square inch of a plate with food.  Smaller plates helps as a constant reminder to simply not eat as large a portion!

Good Luck to all who are on the quest to get back to healthy!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 4

MikMacMike

Just remember all you young men, if you excersize while eating to loose weight that during certain fazes you'll be loosing body fat but gaining muscle. Muscle apparently weighs more then fat. So yes the scale gives a good indication its not always exact. The fat tissue is being turned into muscle, so if after you weigh your self and find the scale saying you gained, run right over to the mirror or ask the wife while you flex an Arnold pose! I bet you'll get the answer you like. Muscle weighs more then fat. Oh and EB if you keep working out I am a little worried your body will surpass your WH, So be careful ok, you don't need a bunch of jealous wheel horsies running around......smiles.

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175
27 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

all you young men

:laughing-rolling: where?  who came in?  :grin:

• Haha 3

MikMacMike
22 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

:ROTF: Funny guy

Edited by MikMacMike
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Wasn't me bud. I'm 50 now. Five-oh. .

I'm officially in the middle of the age thing.....

Marv
5 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

It's Eric.

Marv

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, Marv said:

It's Eric.

Marv

I'll take that. But only because I'mma 5 year old inside. 

:happy-partydance:

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I'mma 5 year old inside. 

I'm 18 with 50 years of experience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MikMacMike
On 1/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, ebinmaine said:

Wasn't me bud. I'm 50 now. Five-oh. .

I'm officially in the middle of the age thing.....

wew I wish I was 50 again, but im the same 60 going on 6 heheheheh, but to be honest when Im on Big Red Im 5 all over again lolol, Wheel Horse makes em and kohler shakes em and to be honest that about as close I think Ill ever get to the king of shakers the Snarelly Harlies heheheh, but Ill take it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Been meanin' to do an update here for a few...months. 

My (undiagnosed) arthritis was giving me some damn good challenges the first half of this year. 

I started this thread at 272. Got up to 279. 

I'm like oh HELL no I ain't doin the 280s again. 

Did some self examinaterizing on my intake and exhaust patterns. 

Well this morning I'm very happy to report I'm down 18 lbs from that last peak. 

I'm participating in an online wellness program through work and have a goal to do lose 8 lbs by November 22nd. 

One down/seven to go. 

Now this is better.....

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

rmaynard

@ebinmaine Congrats on the 18 pounds. That is great. If I lost 18, I'd be at my pre-pandemic weight. This pandemic has been a big factor in weight gain. It changed so many peoples life-styles. While we were stuck at home we ate, at least I did. I've put on about 18 pounds since January of 2020. Because my wife was having back problems (prior to her surgery), I was doing all the shopping and most of the cooking. I did not buy well nor cook smart. We could not get out and exercise like we used to. So, now that Covid is on the decline, and both of us are vaccinated and have had our boosters, it's time to get back to eating better, exercising more, and losing a few pounds. My goal is to be at 205 pounds by the end of July 2022. I am currently at 235 (according to my doctor's scale, 230 on mine). A 3-1/2 pound per month goal may seem a little extreme, but it's there to lose and I won't miss it.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

A 3-1/2 pound per month goal may seem a little extreme

That amount of loss in that time. Is absolutely doable by most folks, barring medical issues of course.

If you divide that all out it is merely a reduction of 350 calories per day without even putting consideration to extra movement or exercise.

I wish you strength and good luck on that one and please feel free to post on this thread if you like.

• Excellent 1

Stormin

Just been reading through this, so went and weighed mesel'. Still the same. Though I have to admit to slowing down now.

Legs are not what they were. Ache with to much walking and stiffen up if sitting to long. The old back gives me gyp. I get tired after a few hours physical work. Ears are not functioning as they used to. Though that is an advantage sometimes. :D

Last year eldest grandson said I was fit for my age. When I said I couldn't run anymore, he asked what did I want to run for. I replied I didn't, but would like to still be able to.

Suppose at my age I shouldn't complain. No one listens anyway. Still breathing so that's something. :thumbs:

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2

Handy Don

Aging.

Not for wimps and better than the alternative.

As declared by long-lived members of my family.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Brockport Bill

a back surgeon here in Poughkeepsie, NY tells his patients he does NOT ever want to do surgery - its last resort so he puts all his new patients on a course of better nutrition.... and physical therapy of core and leg strenthening..... plus fitness... as well as a requirment that worked very well for me -- he requires you to keep a log, a day journal and one of the entries he requires is to write down every single thing you eat each and every day for 10 weeks before you go back for next visit with him --  ( I felt an obligation like giving my report card to show my Dad )  -- a real sense of accountability - its amazing when you know the doctor is going to read your list of an "eating journal" how that disciplines you. I lost a pound a week.... 40 lbs..... and have kept it off even through covid. Heres another tip - he requires you to write down each day 3 things you are grateful for because he strongly believes the mind and feeling well mentally is important to physical health.  Now if i can only solve the challenge of achy knees !!!!! Although that of course can also be weight related ...... last thought -- just the other day i saw story.... since covid, the diabetes stats are through the roof since covid...... from the inactivity and the change in eating habits -- and i assume most of you know one of the great risks of serious covid complications are with those who are diabetic -  which of course we all now is weight related

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Aging.

Not for wimps and better than the alternative.

As declared by long-lived members of my family.

The old people in my family… well Uncle Jim at least… says if you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

rmaynard

@ebinmaine Well Eric, It's been a month since the last weigh-in. How's it going?

Oct 29 I was at 235

Nov 28 I am at 232

Not good, but it's a start. When I put my mind to it, I can lose 2 pounds a week in the beginning. Thanksgiving, two birthday parties, and a trip to the Ocean in-between did me no good. :disgust:

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

@ebinmaine Well Eric, It's been a month since the last weigh-in. How's it going?

Oct 29 I was at 235

Nov 28 I am at 232

Not good, but it's a start. When I put my mind to it, I can lose 2 pounds a week in the beginning. Thanksgiving, two birthday parties, and a trip to the Ocean in-between did me no good. :disgust:

Well Mr Bob... I started the program online then couldn't figure out to get back into it. 

I contacted a couple people at work and they got me back on track though I did have to sign up again.  

I've been in the new program for 7 days today. 

I have 2 goals. 

1. Exercise related. I just need to move about a certain amount per day. 

With he lifestyle I lead that's easy. 

2. Same weight loss goal reset to December 21st or 22nd. 

I'm not as successful on that. 

I weigh the same as I did a month ago. 262. 

That's not necessarily terrible but I do need to get going and drop a few cells.   

I do very much appreciate you checking in on me!!

• Excellent 1

JCM

Does that mean I have to walk by the peanut M & M's at the grocery store on my way to your place ?    :hide:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, JCM said:

Does that mean I have to walk by the peanut M & M's at the grocery store on my way to your place ?    :hide:

NO SIR!!!

Gotta have a treat sometimes!

:lol:

Besides.... Peanuts have protein. 

• Haha 2

sparkie333
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Gotta have a treat sometimes!

I think you got it right---Take 1/2 of what u would regularly eat----push back on most everything that u don't have to have ---June I went to new DR--- weight was 263 --5'11"---went back Aug. and my weight is 247 ---I just turned 71 on the 23rd. Now my weight is staying right around that. My family has not had a weight problem. I would like to get to 200lb but it may be spring before I get to move about and take a lot of work to get there. ----I enjoy anything outside----Looking to veg. garden and yard work again

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

@rmaynard and @sparkie333

Keep checking in. 

I'd love to hear how things are going for you guys.  

• Like 2