Achto

Do Tractors Get Jealous??

Pullstart

I believe it Dan!  Putt Putt quit running on a day that @PeacemakerJack had his crew over.  I feel like he’s been neglected as there were so many projects this past year, but has always started 1 pull.  That day, the kids were all cruising around, Jada on Putt Putt, it just shut off.  I could pull and pull but no @pullstart.

This is where he died, we pushed him back to the barn after the photo shoot!CE7AB3B6-CB26-4F6A-ADED-873EC0A01EC3.jpeg.577db2a8199fa9c6fe5691f9fa83e58b.jpeg68E49761-A122-4823-B382-68933516EA52.jpeg.3dd817f71b28f2f7827fb68d506ef182.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

953 nut

Tractor Envy Syndrome (TES) is generally experienced in Green and Yellow tractors when in the presence of a :wh:, but can be felt by a neglected :wh: when it is ignored in favor of a queen bee or trailer queen. The only known remedy is to show the neglected :wh: a lot of live and TLC. Fortunately for you the C-145 only made you suffer for one day.

The tractors in the "CARS" movie were suffering from TES which made them easy targets for Tow-Mater and Lightning McQueen when they went out tractor tipping.     :ychain:

• Haha 5

953 nut
Just now, 953 nut said:

Tractor Envy Syndrome (TES) is generally experienced in Green and Yellow tractors when in the presence of a :wh:, but can be felt by a neglected :wh: when it is ignored in favor of a queen bee or trailer queen. The only known remedy is to show the neglected :wh: a lot of love and TLC. Fortunately for you the C-145 only made you suffer for one day.

The tractors in the "CARS" movie were suffering from TES which made them easy targets for Tow-Mater and Lightning McQueen when they went out tractor tipping.     :ychain:

ebinmaine

Dan. 

Well. 

I've had it happen. 

No explanation for this. Just. Poof. Then the next day. 

VVRROOOOOMMMMM. 

@953 nut I hadn't considered TES in the past. I'll try to be more mindful. 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Yes.

:twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 1

JAinVA

My wife gives most machines credit for personalities. I do not or at least I didn't until I brought Little Ugly home. It has been a machine that is rock solid dependable. Best I can tell it is like a rescue puppy that knew the next stop was the scrap yard.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 4

JCM

In 2019 at the first Meet n Greet early Saturday morning I went to start the 312-8 and nothing. Had it out the day before washing and waxing, dried it off with the air compressor and put it away. that is the first time since 1989 that my favorite tractor would not start. I pulled 4 more out and lined them up and when @Stepney  Spenser showed up, He's always the first one here I mentioned it was dead, he reached down between the battery and grabbed the ignition switch and off it went. It always has started since then so why mess with it. The only thing I can think of is they spend 2/3rds of there life in the garage and were peed off because Company were coming and maybe better looking ones were on there way to the event. ?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

Handy Don

Did you speak to it nicely, say "hello" or "Good Morning, nice day isn't it?" or "My you are looking extra sharp today! What'dya say we have some fun?" What do you expect? :)

Edited by Handy Don
  • Haha 8

Stepney

Oh boy.. this is a favorite subject with me and the old boys and the stationary engine and tractor shows.

I certainly feel more 'life' in some machines than others. My old GT-1848 WorkHorse has just about zero personality, My Electro 12 will basically keep on working no matter how broken it may be at the time..

My 1968 Raider 9/12, with a NOS Kohler rope start 12hp, is the most cantankerous, miserable, cold hearted machine I own.. if there is another machine in the shed, it won't run. If I let it sit for more than a week, it won't run. If it does catch me off guard and run, something else will surely fail for no good reason. Brand new PTO bearing? BOOM. Brand new deck belt? SNAP! It went through a shed fire back in 1972 and sat for decades in the back of a building after being shoddily reassembled. I often wonder if it took on some sort of sentience in that period. However.. when it's on weekly lawn duty in the summer, it's flawless. Once leaf season comes and the GT is back in the shed, it's just .. I don't even bother to use it anymore. Wait for next season.

Somewhere I have a video of my old Electro, which had a very odd shorting problem, and it would fire itself up if you got on it just right..

I swear thats not edited.. it would do that on and off for a number of years till I rewired it properly.

Other machines..

My Maytag gas washing machine is surely possessed.. it will run flawlessly for days at shows, and them just .. nope. 'I don't like the man in the red baseball cap.' And it'll refuse any attempts until the interested observer walks away. Promptly come right back to life.

Routinely operating 100+ year old engines is just that way though.. watched a guy nearly get launched into the air by a big Foos stationary. Just last week my 2hp Fairbanks Morse sprained my wrist cranking it over.. New Year's tradition is to fire it up every year in the afternoon, I missed it this time on account of a WH 753. 

It's never kicked until that day.. Who knows, I like to let my mind wander. 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 6

Pullstart

@Stepney wait a minute.  Rope start 12 horse?  Awesome!

Stepney
Just now, pullstart said:

@Stepney wait a minute.  Rope start 12 horse?  Awesome!

Originally it was a HH100 Tecumseh tractor, but the camshaft broke in half .. still unclear just why, engine was almost new..

Anyway, friend of mine bought a K301s in the old metallic blue color, still in a crate from the factory. Magneto ignition, recoil starter only. It's a sweetheart of an engine .. until it isn't. I've also had two more K301 hand starts in old Arctic Cat snowmobiles. Factory installed 4 cycle in 1968. 

• Like 4

Jeff-C175

Never anthropomorphize inanimate objects, they don't like that!

My machine is watching me work on wifey's car.  Even helping!  Standing still holding the intake manifolds on it's back.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 6

Achto

@953 nut I've always liked the creativity of the tractors on Cars.

It looks to me like the artist took a Farmall M

2019-09-02-094236-1-1567703230321@2x.jpg.e6831086779979cd156409b468ed9145.jpg

And crossed it with a Minneapolis Moline R.

201903161447360-1552928740982@2x.jpg.340c1ba2f538da8a645f8494b9aae3c2.jpg

To get the end result a Chewall.

Tractors.png.6f421339889256e6ca9dc0d80121f63c.png

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 3

Pullstart
52 minutes ago, Achto said:

@953 nut I've always liked the creativity of the tractors on Cars.

It looks to me like the artist took Farmall M

2019-09-02-094236-1-1567703230321@2x.jpg.e6831086779979cd156409b468ed9145.jpg

And crossed it with a Minneapolis Moline R.

201903161447360-1552928740982@2x.jpg.340c1ba2f538da8a645f8494b9aae3c2.jpg

To get the end result a Chewall.

Tractors.png.6f421339889256e6ca9dc0d80121f63c.png

Dan, would you know??  Was that Minneapolis Moline manufacturing of the cab done by an auto manufacturer, or was that straight from the tractor facility?

Achto
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Was that Minneapolis Moline manufacturing of the cab done by an auto manufacturer, or was that straight from the tractor facility?

To my knowledge that cab was strait from the factory.

MM also made the model UDLX which looked like a cross between a pick up truck and a tractor. Very big $ when you find one of these for sale.

udlx.jpeg.c68837f7d21a153cab83a25772a071b4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
Just now, Achto said:

To my knowledge that cab was strait from the factory.

MM also made the model UDLX which looked like a cross between a pick up truck and a tractor. Very big $ when you find one of these for sale.

udlx.jpeg.c68837f7d21a153cab83a25772a071b4.jpeg

If they made one in a 4x4 model, that would likely be the perfect grocery gettin’ daily driver!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oilwell1415

Every time we go to the farm my wife asks me if the cows get bored.  This question reminded me of that.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If they made one in a 4x4 model, that would likely be the perfect grocery gettin’ daily driver!

It even came with a passengers seat, 3 windshield wipers, sun visor and heat. Pretty progressive for 1938.

11.jpg.e1fd7ac9745a1e035c54a0c8fc9130ea.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

Every time we go to the farm my wife asks me if the cows get bored.  This question reminded me of that.

I am not sure of the answer to that... but I imagine if a cow were Boared that the meat produced would be amazing!

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
Just now, Achto said:

It even came with a passengers seat, 3 windshield wipers, sun visor and heat. Pretty progressive for 1938.

What’s the passenger lever do?

R Scheer

I can't tell with my tractor, I only have one so it doesn't know any better.  I did have a 73 F100, every month or so it started running strange, couldn't figure it out.  Then I detailed it and it would start running nice and smooth again.  I don't know what that means, but if it worked...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Maxwell-8
26 minutes ago, Achto said:

No trans problems on that thing!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hey Dan, did you have the C-145 facing the garage so it could watch what was going on??  That is the biggest mistake that is made by us.  Nobody likes work going on behind them...it can really piss them off.  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 9