squonk

Patched Block?

squonk

I am getting old :rolleyes: Recently retired so I have time to do nothing all day. I replaced the old fluorescent lights a couple weeks ago with LED'S so I can somewhat see again. I was working on the 953 that I HAVE OWNED FOR 2 1/2 YEARS. I noticed what looks like a patch in the block right where a rod would have known to come out to say HI! :rolleyes: It's not causing any issues and if it is a patch somebody did one heck of a job. What do you think?

IMG_20210118_121141707_MP.jpg.b9ebc36ef4e0e85d9b4a9db7aee80fd4.jpg

• Like 7

ebinmaine

Ain't that somethin. 

I agree it looks like it's patched. Absolutely would not mess with it until or if it ever presents a leak. 

pfrederi

If it works don't ____ with it!!!

• Like 5

squonk

Oh I ain't touchin it! :helmet: Unless maybe I drop a 16 HP Thumper in there! :banana-linedance:

• Like 6

stevasaurus

Did you find that using the brail method.??  Bet you won't be jumping any stone piles with that girl.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk
5 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Did you find that using the brail method.??  Bet you won't be jumping any stone piles with that girl.  :occasion-xmas:

I used the "I was blind, now I can see" method. A blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while! :banana-jumprope:

• Like 4

Stepney

Least it was welded, once upon a time I had a 16hp single B&S powered Roper with a pop-riveted license plate over the side of the block. 
They had a large cork sheet under it.. only thing that killed it the second time was the cork fragmenting, and plugging up the rod bearing oil hoke.. too bad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHNJ701
7 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Least it was welded, once upon a time I had a 16hp single B&S powered Roper with a pop-riveted license plate over the side of the block. 
They had a large cork sheet under it.. only thing that killed it the second time was the cork fragmenting, and plugging up the rod bearing oil hoke.. too bad. 

The cork fragments remind me of the old timer years ago telling us about back in the day they used to pack car differentials full sawdust at some repair place

• Haha 2

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, Stepney said:

So I went to all the trouble to tear my K321 down, preheated the whole block, welded it, immediately covered it in hot ashes and waited overnight and all I really needed was a license plate and silicone instead of cork?

Honestly, and I'm not a pro rebuilder, but all it needs is to not leak.  Too darned bad the cork failed and or course went right for an oil hole!  Murphy at work again!

• Like 2

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, jabelman said:

The cork fragments remind me of the old timer years ago telling us about back in the day they used to pack car differentials full sawdust at some repair place

Special sawdust though!

Stepney
6 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Seems to me Barney Fife bought a car just like that!

• Like 2

D_Mac

I had an 84 Dodge Charger way back when. When I was looking to buy it the engine block had a small crack in it and it would leak coolant. A friend of mine told me to buy as the seller didnt want much because he thought the engine had to be replaced. So I bought it cheap. My buddy put some kind of goop on it and sealed it right up. I had that little car a few years and put many miles on it without any issues with it leaking ever again. I can not for the life of me remember what he used but it worked great. He used to work at a body shop so I trusted him when he said he could fix it. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Stepney

I've seen old flywheel engines in the way back past with that patchwork but not a newer type. 

@jabelman 

I used to work with a fellow who knew of a used car lot/garage the would do that. Quiet things down. ..just long enough. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I had an 84 Dodge Charger way back when. When I was looking to buy it the engine block had a small crack in it and it would leak coolant. A friend of mine told me to buy as the seller didnt want much because he thought the engine had to be replaced. So I bought it cheap. My buddy put some kind of goop on it and sealed it right up. I had that little car a few years and put many miles on it without any issues with it leaking ever again. I can not for the life of me remember what he used but it worked great. He used to work at a body shop so I trusted him when he said he could fix it. 

There are miracles in a can!  Don't always work, sometimes because the diagnostician blew it or it's just too bad.  I've used different leak stops for coolant, rear ends, autotrans and oil and was SO pleased that I tried them.  Some miracles might get you home, finish your trip or last so long you forget them.  Some might cost you whatever the retail is.  My luck has been good.  Of course I was the diagnostician...

squonk
54 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

That's amazing because the 84 Dodge 4 banger would start leaking when you opened the driver's door! 

• Haha 3

Achto
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

I had a friend pack 4lbs of hamburger into a diff to quiet it down so that he could get a better sales price on a car. I would have hated to be the poor soul that had to open that rear end up to fix it properly.:o

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

DennisThornton
13 minutes ago, squonk said:

That's amazing because the 84 Dodge 4 banger would start leaking when you opened the driver's door! 

6 cyls didn't

WHX??

Ahhh lets back up here abit .... when the heck did I say you could retire Squonk!?! You ain't 62 till the end of next month so you ain't collectin SS yet. Digging up them mason jars in the back yard are we? I know you ain't flipping tractors for beer money unless you want  me to low ball you on that Power King.... bet he's got a table set up on a street corner selling plug wires to buy a bottle of Thunderbird fellas! NAPA prolly wants you back 'cause you was good at wiping starter grease off the counters! 

Fine... retire while the rest of us slobs gotta work yet ..... 

Fine... I'm turning this thread ino a show us your cracked & repaired block then! :ychain:

What you laughing about @oliver2-44 ....... your K91 crank you been pining for may come out of this motor! :lol:

20210118_181131.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

squonk
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Ahhh lets back up here abit .... when the heck did I say you could retire Squonk!?! You ain't 62 till the end of next month so you ain't collectin SS yet. Digging up them mason jars in the back yard are we? I know you ain't flipping tractors for beer money unless you want  me to low ball you on that Power King.... bet he's got a table set up on a street corner selling plug wires to buy a bottle of Thunderbird fellas! NAPA prolly wants you back 'cause you was good at wiping starter grease off the counters! 

Fine... retire while the rest of us slobs gotta work yet ..... 

Fine... I'm turning this thread ino a show us your cracked & repaired block then! :ychain:

What you laughing about @oliver2-44 ....... your K91 crank you been pining for may come out of this motor! :lol:

20210118_181131.jpg

Instead of buying 10 tractors a month,  brand new trucks and campers, I don't owe a cent to anybody. Got enough cash to get by until SS kicks in in March . :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

WHX??
18 minutes ago, squonk said:

Instead of buying 10 tractors a month,  brand new trucks and campers, I don't owe a cent to anybody.

Buy 'em then .... heard tell banks got plenty of money....life's too short and let yer kids figure yer debt out then...... :)

• Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

Next time in WV I will have to get pic of the K161 block that was in the CC Original when dad bought it in 1977 and stayed running until the late 90s. You will love the patch on it. 

• Like 2

D_Mac

Sad looking back that Dodge had the stones to put the Charger name on those cars. To go from this to that... what were they thinking?

331991.jpg

1984_dodge_charger-pic-7304082072059084662-640x480.jpeg

• Sad 1

squonk
11 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Sad looking back that Dodge had the stones to put the Charger name on those cars. To go from this to that... what were they thinking?

331991.jpg

Not only the engines leaked, the bodies did too! I re-sealed a ton of those cars. Pull the front fenders and grab the caulk gun 

Edited by squonk

squonk
30 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Buy 'em then .... heard tell banks got plenty of money....life's too short and let yer kids figure yer debt out then...... :)

There aren't any to buy anymore around here. Really dried up. You see the same tractors for sale week after week  Way overpriced. Paid cash 2 years ago on the GMC. Wife's Toyota has almost 150 on it. Just broken in.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

tom2p
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

331991.jpg

smh

and Ford did something similar with the Mustang ... started small - grew - then grew too big - and then the Mustang II ...

ughhh

again - smh

Edited by tom2p
  • Sad 1