racerjohnbf

Looking for my first Horse....Which model?

tom2p
7 hours ago, racerjohnbf said:

My smoker likely closer to 800lbs and I can pull it in a way to avoid the hills, as long as the tractor can pull it.

you can pull a full size car with a small Wheel Horse tractor 

the Wheel Horse 704 in the pic below (buried in garage) pulled the 3700 lb Olds 442 in the pic below on dirt / gravel driveway 

as eb stated - stopping is a concern and especially on a grade 

2B0D5788-C9AA-4C6F-8CC3-04E0C555FBA3.jpeg

6E40A910-3685-46A5-9DC2-EFBEFDE472E1.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell
8 hours ago, racerjohnbf said:

My smoker likely closer to 800lbs and I can pull it in a way to avoid the hills, as long as the tractor can pull that much weight. 

Having enough power is not a problem.    Traction is the limiting factor be it pulling or trying to stop a heavy load. 

Every tractor I buy, hydro or gear drive, is chained to a tree and tested to be sure they can spin the tires.

I routinely move 2200 lb boats with my tractors, but always on level ground.  

In addition to the dangerous braking ,or lack of braking, problem, be aware these short light tractors will do back flips very easily.

I was pulling a 24',  2800 lb.  boat out of a level garage with an 8HP Commando8 when one of the rear tires on the trailer bumped the end of a 3/4" board that I didn't see laying on the floor.

Before I could push the clutch, I was thrown back on the tongue of the trailer and the tractor was upside down on top of me.  

Luckily with me acting as a cushion between the tractor and the trailer, the newly restored Commando 8 didn't suffer any damage.  I also healed up in a couple days.

I now have front hitches on a couple tractors that I use to move heavy trailers, but only on the level and I always keep the trailer tongue dolly wheel locked in the down position and just clearing the ground.

No more back flips with the front hitches and it is easier to see when pushing trailers into tight areas.

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

racerjohnbf
8 hours ago, tom2p said:

you can pull a full size car with a small Wheel Horse tractor 

the Wheel Horse 704 in the pic below (buried in garage) pulled the 3700 lb Olds 442 in the pic below on dirt / gravel driveway 

as eb stated - stopping is a concern and especially on a grade 

I don't intend to lug around anything near that heavy, but glad to know the capability will be there. Nice car btw!

7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Having enough power is not a problem.    Traction is the limiting factor be it pulling or trying to stop a heavy load. 

Every tractor I buy, hydro or gear drive, is chained to a tree and tested to be sure they can spin the tires.

I routinely move 2200 lb boats with my tractors, but always on level ground.  

In addition to the dangerous braking ,or lack of braking, problem, be aware these short light tractors will do back flips very easily.

I was pulling a 24',  2800 lb.  boat out of a level garage with an 8HP Commando8 when one of the rear tires on the trailer bumped the end of a 3/4" board that I didn't see laying on the floor.

Before I could push the clutch, I was thrown back on the tongue of the trailer and the tractor was upside down on top of me.  

Luckily with me acting as a cushion between the tractor and the trailer, the newly restored Commando 8 didn't suffer any damage.  I also healed up in a couple days.

I now have front hitches on a couple tractors that I use to move heavy trailers, but only on the level and I always keep the trailer tongue dolly wheel locked in the down position and just clearing the ground.

No more back flips with the front hitches and it is easier to see when pushing trailers into tight areas.

Glad that didn't turn out worse for you. And thanks for the tips, I will keep that in mind. My smoker is set up like a wagon, so there is no additional tongue weight. I'm guessing that would help with the tipping problem but maybe make braking on hills even trickier. 

• Like 1

AHS

@racerjohnbf any model will work for you. I wanted to stay away from 8hp kohlers; until I got one for $100.... they are little giants!! I like kohlers, just because of they are bulletproof, simple and reliable. This is a site for addicts, from @Herder, @ebinmaine, to me; who has a Wheelhorse for every attachment!! Welcome to RS!!😀

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

I don't have enough attachments for every tractor :doh:  so does that mean I don't have enough attachments?  :eusa-think:  Or do I have too many tractors:hide:  I know that can't be the problem  :ychain:

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

DennisThornton
49 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I don't have enough attachments for every tractor :doh:  so does that mean I don't have enough attachments?  :eusa-think:  Or do I have too many tractors:hide:  I know that can't be the problem  :ychain:

I believe it is written that each attachment can have a spare back-up power unit.  Must be capable of using said attachment, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

rjg854

I just might have that covered then, Dennis, although not as big and powerful.  I have attachments for the 8hp short frames, but using the 16hp tractors this year. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I just might have that covered then, Dennis, although not as big and powerful.  I have attachments for the 8hp short frames, but using the 16hp tractors this year. 

Yes it was discussed somewhere. Maybe in the International Rules thread?

I think it was something to the effect that there should be a minimum one tractor per implement and backup / standby tractors are not only acceptable but recommended. 

3 hours ago, AHS said:

a Wheelhorse for every attachment!

@OldWorkHorse Steve and I had a discussion the other day and I realized that I actually have five attachments. and I find that to be unacceptable because I currently only have four tractors running and driving. I have two that could potentially be very close.

Edited by ebinmaine
Correction of a massive verbal gaff
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes it was discussed somewhere. Maybe in the International Rules thread?

I think it was something to the effect that there should be a minimum one tractor per implement and duplicate tractors are not only acceptable but recommended. 

@OldWorkHorse Steve and I had a discussion the other day and I realized that I actually have five attachments. and I find that to be unacceptable because I currently only have four tractors running and driving. I have two that could potentially be very close.

Use of the word "duplicate" is frowned upon.  Could imply unnecessary and have a negative connotation.  "Backup" is preferred over "spare" for the same reason.  "Backup"  could also apply to the attachment itself.  Two decks and two tractors could be considered as a single mowing package.  Same reasoning for each task, tilling, blowing, leaf collection, front plow, mid-mount, rear blade and so on.  Properly explained and worded should allow for a considerable collection of task centric packages.  NOT just a bunch of tractors!  We need to work hard to remove the phrase "Too many tractors!" from the English language.  Then we can work on other languages...

And while perfectly logical to have multiple "mowing packages", small trim (36"), rear discharge, large acreage(60"), sickle bar and such, it could be too much for some to ask at this time.  And besides, by the time all the other tasks are addressed the odds of noticing an extra mower are slim.

I love America!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Use of the word "duplicate" is frowned upon. 

My greatest possible and hugest (not small) apologies!!!

I agree, I agree. I have gone back and fixed my so very incredibly large error.

You are 100% correct and I shall try harder next time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DennisThornton
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

My greatest possible and hugest (not small) apologies!!!

I agree, I agree. I have gone back and fixed my so very incredibly large error.

You are 100% correct and I shall try harder next time. 

We all need to be together on this for it to work!

Good man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’ll have to inventory to see if I NEED more tractors or attachments to balance the Wheel Horse Books...  Whatever I am lacking, I’ll do my best to correct soon!  :ROTF:

84A45178-3EA3-49A5-AA4C-3BF9EC07931A.jpeg

0123D8B7-8218-48EB-8AFC-F6F80FB08D2D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

R Scheer

If your going to be towing with it I'd look at getting one wth the strong Eaton.  The brakes on these tractors are limited, however the hydrostatic will act as a brake as well.  Take your time when towing, and look ahead for possible problems.  These tractors are strong but panic manuevers are not good.

I forgot to mention that you may want to put weights on the front of the tractor, and if you're towing across the lawn try to wait until its dry.  I found that towing the boat across soft turf really made tractor work, more so than the weight of the trailer.  YMMV.

20181014_133821.jpg

Edited by R Scheer
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

racerjohnbf
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Use of the word "duplicate" is frowned upon.  Could imply unnecessary and have a negative connotation.  "Backup" is preferred over "spare" for the same reason.  "Backup"  could also apply to the attachment itself.  Two decks and two tractors could be considered as a single mowing package.  Same reasoning for each task, tilling, blowing, leaf collection, front plow, mid-mount, rear blade and so on.  Properly explained and worded should allow for a considerable collection of task centric packages.  NOT just a bunch of tractors!  We need to work hard to remove the phrase "Too many tractors!" from the English language.  Then we can work on other languages...

And while perfectly logical to have multiple "mowing packages", small trim (36"), rear discharge, large acreage(60"), sickle bar and such, it could be too much for some to ask at this time.  And besides, by the time all the other tasks are addressed the odds of noticing an extra mower are slim.

I love America!

@DennisThornton I think I need you to explain to my wife why I need one or more of these garden tractors lol.

• Like 1

racerjohnbf
4 minutes ago, R Scheer said:

If your going to be towing with it I'd look at getting one wth the strong Eaton.  The brakes on these tractors are limited, however the hydrostatic will act as a brake as well.  Take your time when towing, and look ahead for possible problems.  These tractors are strong but panic manuevers are not good.

Thanks for the advise, I will be careful.

• Haha 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

@DennisThornton I think I need you to explain to my wife why I need one or more of these garden tractors lol.

Refer to them as task tools.  Don't even call them tractors, but rather as what they do.  And don't comment about them being able to do multiple things avoiding that one tractor with many attachments problems.  Mower!  Tiller!  Plow!  Snowblower!

You have a drill but now need a hammer drill.  You wouldn't say "Honey, I need another drill!" but rather I need a rotary hammer!

Takes some practice but you will catch on.  We are here to help.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

John here's what you need to do. 

Take a look at the thread I'm about to post. There's a lot of very valuable information in there in regard to how to handle the person that you live with if it is not my own Trina or @pullstart Kevin's wife.

Just keep in mind that none of us know your Ball And Chain situation as well as you do so you may need to cut and paste or adjust or eliminate as necessary before you print it out to show her that you're not just making all this crap up.

If you come up with any good additions please feel free to post them.  

We all got your back as long as she doesn't say or do anything. If she resists in any way we don't know anything and we didn't do anything. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Talking with the good ole boys at the parts store ( @PeacemakerJack met Frank and some of the other characters in there!)  today... Tractors needs to be singular or plural.  When your wife says “I’m getting some new shoes” it could be one pair or ten.  When I pronounce “I’m getting tractors” it should mean one or ten the same.

Also mentioned was the fact that they never gave me a total when I ran my debit card through the reader.  I contemplated a few more things because I was probably going to get hollered at for how much I spent... why not spend a little more and just get hollered at once?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
33 minutes ago, R Scheer said:

If your going to be towing with it I'd look at getting one with the strong Eaton.

Excellent advice.    The Eaton 1100 offers great control and stopping ability.   Traction to the ground is still a concern.

• Like 1

racerjohnbf
23 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Refer to them as task tools.  Don't even call them tractors, but rather as what they do.  And don't comment about them being able to do multiple things avoiding that one tractor with many attachments problems.  Mower!  Tiller!  Plow!  Snowblower!

You have a drill but now need a hammer drill.  You wouldn't say "Honey, I need another drill!" but rather I need a rotary hammer!

Takes some practice but you will catch on.  We are here to help.

17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

John here's what you need to do. 

Take a look at the thread I'm about to post. There's a lot of very valuable information in there in regard to how to handle the person that you live with if it is not my own Trina or @pullstart Kevin's wife.

Just keep in mind that none of us know your Ball And Chain situation as well as you do so you may need to cut and paste or adjust or eliminate as necessary before you print it out to show her that you're not just making all this crap up.

If you come up with any good additions please feel free to post them.  

We all got your back as long as she doesn't say or do anything. If she resists in any way we don't know anything and we didn't do anything. 

11 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Talking with the good ole boys at the parts store ( @PeacemakerJack met Frank and some of the other characters in there!)  today... Tractors needs to be singular or plural.  When your wife says “I’m getting some new shoes” it could be one pair or ten.  When I pronounce “I’m getting tractors” it should mean one or ten the same.

Also mentioned was the fact that they never gave me a total when I ran my debit card through the reader.  I contemplated a few more things because I was probably going to get hollered at for how much I spent... why not spend a little more and just get hollered at once?

Thanks,

I like how you guys think! 

• Like 3

DennisThornton

OH!  Can't believe I forgot!  Parts tractors are NOT tractors!  
They are NOT tractors at all!  They are a collection of backup PARTS! 

Tractors run. Parts don't.

Avoid the phrase "Parts Tractor"!

• Like 2

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

OH!  Can't believe I forgot!  Parts tractors are NOT tractors!  
They are NOT tractors at all!  They are a collection of backup PARTS! 

Tractors run. Parts don't.

Avoid the phrase "Parts Tractor"!

If all the parts are bolted together and it functions, can we call it tractor parts?

• Like 3

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If all the parts are bolted together and it functions, can we call it tractor parts?

Good point! 

Depends.  Pushing the envelope is good practice and some might get by with it but I would hesitate to add that to either the Rules or the Guide to Collecting books.  It could get some into more trouble that we might not be able to help with.  For experienced collectors perhaps but certainly not is this particular case.

Thanks for bringing it up though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
8 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Fairly sure that some quantum theory holds that you can know how many attachments you have or how many tractors but cannot know both at the same time or where any of them are at any given time. Pretty useless theory, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Fairly sure that some quantum theory holds that you can know how many attachments you have or how many tractors but cannot know both at the same time or where any of them are at any given time. Pretty useless theory, I guess.

Can't actually quantify those, only predict what they might be at any particular moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1