racerjohnbf

Looking for my first Horse....Which model?

Ed Kennell

3, 4, and 500 series can be hydro or 8 speed gear drive. 

Some hydros have hydraulic lift and usually have the stronger Eaton 1100 tranny. 

Hydro tractors with manual lift usually have the weaker Eaton 700 tranny.

Cost can vary widely based on condition and implements

• Like 6

Stepney

For ease of operation and implement availability, you simply can not beat a first generation C series. A C-160 is easily a top pick but I often find little use for all the power, a 10-12 easily suiting everything except heavy snow blowing. 

All the same, I'm partial to the 1968-69 Charger-Electro-Raider lines. Two hydro and a gear drive respectively. All three shared a limited slip differential which is invaluable on soft terrain. My old Electro will barge up a snowy hill like nobody's business with some chains on.. 

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

For ease of repair and maintenance your best bet, given the desire for an 80s model, would be a 300 series. 

Less wiring to deal with. 

We plow snow with 2 manuals right now. 

Trina uses her 1967 867 and I use a '74 C160. 

The only disadvantage to a manual transmission for plowing is if you do alot of back and forth the clutch and up/down lever are in constant use. Hence, so is your left foot and arm. 

A hydro with a hydraulic lift would be easier on your body in that way. I have one in process right now. 

300 series were made in 8, 10 and 12 horsepower versions. ANY would work. 12 would be stronger of course. 

Was it me I'd go for a manual transmission. They were all 8 speeds at that point. 

That would be a better overall fit given the desired chores to be completed.... IMHO. 

The towing CAPACITY is 200 to 300 pounds. The towing CAPABILITY is FAR more. The STOPPING is what dictates your actual towing ability. 

I've moved over 1000 pounds in very hilly terrain many times. 

I run machinery as my profession. I have my tractor set up VERY well to do so. I'm comfortable doing so. 

The question is likely not 

CAN it move the smoker. 

It's more like

SHOULD it move the smoker. 

Wheelhorses are extremely capable machines. They also tend to multiply seemingly by themselves. 

Perhaps your TRUE BEST BET is one of each .... hydro and manual transmission!!

:lol:

Eric you forgot in the 300 series 14 and 15hp versions as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

racerjohnbf

Thanks  for the clarification on how some of the model numbers work guys. I'm sure I won't be to picky if I find a deal on something lol. 

The hunt is on!

• Like 3

pfrederi

I may be in the minority but if a mid mount grader blade is important I find a gear drive or hydro with manual lift to give me best control/ results.  For as many things as you want to do more than one tractor might be in order...

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

I just sold my 315-8 with tiller, AGs liquid filled and iron weights for $900 and a 414-8 with 42" deck and snow blade for $700 this summer.   Check Facebook Marketplace.

20200328_132407.jpg

20200703_160727_HDR.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think you will find that the prices that @WVHillbilly520Hquoted  are about what you will have to pay for a good tractor.  If your soil is anything like mind you will probably want a gear drive , high low transmission . A tractor with a -8 means it have a 2 speed trans with 3 forward and 1 reverse gears for each . The low speed comes in handy if your wheel starts to spend.  What part of Eastern Va. are you located?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

racerjohnbf
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I may be in the minority but if a mid mount grader blade is important I find a gear drive or hydro with manual lift to give me best control/ results.  For as many things as you want to do more than one tractor might be in order...

I'll start with one for now.... I hear they tend to multiply though, so I may eventually end up with more than one lol.

58 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I just sold my 315-8 with tiller, AGs liquid filled and iron weights for $900 and a 414-8 with 42" deck and snow blade for $700 this summer.   Check Facebook Marketplace.

20200328_132407.jpg

20200703_160727_HDR.jpg

Nice looking tractors, too bad I hadn't found this site sooner.

14 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I think you will find that the prices that @WVHillbilly520Hquoted  are about what you will have to pay for a good tractor.  If your soil is anything like mind you will probably want a gear drive , high low transmission . A tractor with a -8 means it have a 2 speed trans with 3 forward and 1 reverse gears for each . The low speed comes in handy if your wheel starts to spend.  What part of Eastern Va. are you located?

Those prices are in my range. Not opposed to buying one that needs some work though. 

I'm about half way between Richmond and Newport News. Near West Point.

My friend that gave me the Troy-Bilt likes to go yards sales during the summer so I'm gonna put him on the hunt. And my brother drives a fuel oil truck so he sees stuff all over the place. Might find one hiding somewhere for a good deal.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, racerjohnbf said:

Smoker is probably a little over a 1000 pounds and there is a moderate hill to go up

6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The towing CAPACITY is 200 to 300 pounds. The towing CAPABILITY is FAR more. The STOPPING is what dictates your actual towing ability. 

The brakes on  a :wh: are on the transmission and will apply the greatest amount of stopping force to the tire with the least traction. The differential will be your friend while going around a corner but become your nemesis when stopping in less than ideal conditions. Many of us have been pushed down a hill by a loaded trailer.            :scared-eek:

My opinion for the best tractor for snow removal, rototilling, mowing and moving reasonable loads would be a 312-8. The are plentiful, dependable and darn near bulletproof. If you can find a package deal that has most of what you are looking for you can save a lot of time and money.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Brian Muller

414 8 speed

• Like 3

Brian Muller

414 8 speed

D_Mac

My 2 cents is it all depends on the size of the property you want to maintain. That being said there is little argument in the saying.. " the bigger, the better" . I live in the city and have little use for any tractor of any size, but because of my love for them, there is almost always one in my garage. Right now I have a 857.. great little tractor, have nothing bad to say about it. Would most likely be able to do a lot of what a typical homeowner would ask bigger tractor to do. Maybe not as easily, but it would get it done. Now I have also owned a C-161 Automatic and a 416 - 8. There is no substitute for the 16hp Kohler. Each have their plus and minus. Automatics arnt for everyone. So if I had to recommend just one....... I would say a 416 -8 for 2 simple reasons... power and comfort. I like the Magnum engines. The C-161 I had to make a few changes to to get to my liking is the reason why I give the nod to the 416 - 8. You really cant go wrong with any of the Wheel Horse line up... just depends on what you are going to do with it. I would even recommend one of the RER, depending on the task !!!

20200715_110540.jpg

20200628_200533.jpg

20210104_124735.jpg

20190407_123014_resized.jpg

20190915_162425.jpg

20191007_183213.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell
20 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

3, 4, and 500 series can be hydro or 8 speed gear drive. 

Some hydros have hydraulic lift and usually have the stronger Eaton 1100 tranny. 

Hydro tractors with manual lift usually have the weaker Eaton 700 tranny.

Thanks for that info Ed! That will help me in the future! 

Randy

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Here is a 312-8 I bought a few weeks ago. It was listed on MP for $350.   I needed a deck ant 42"sd looked pretty good in the pictures.  I went to see it in hopes of buying only the deck, but the owner wanted to sell everything.   After pointing out the missing throttle linkage, chopped up wiring, loose steering, missing, missing drive belt RR, frozen choke, and missing drive belt, We came to a $225 price.    About what I would pay for a decent working 42" SD.       I rewired, repaired steering, and replaced all missing parts  from my" parts buckets"     The deck is good and runs quiet and the 301 starts easy, sounds good and idles down nicely.     I will make it a plow tractor and give it to my son Mark.  He has a green Chinese tractor with a snow blower that he says is useless. I have a good 48" blade and long frame in my junk pile and I found this red neck axle bracket in the junk that I will use after I make some serious modifications including adding a weight rack.102_2532.JPG.73631b141d5e51f5ed188c3175cbd028.JPG102_2533.JPG.33d11b6c99a6038f18ecc6ae6d63712d.JPG102_2537.JPG.783b5602d5f7a9173acc68597ac14893.JPG102_2536.JPG.05b886057c55960a2b67c6034e7a3441.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

racerjohnbf

Thanks for all the replies! I have a much better idea of what to look for now. My smoker likely closer to 800lbs and I can pull it in a way to avoid the hills, as long as the tractor can pull that much weight. 

Now the hard part... finding one. LOL. So far all I'm seeing is either too much money for what they are or too far away. I did see what looks like a good deal on FB marketplace out in Blacksburg, VA, but that is almost a 4hr drive from me. 

• Like 2

racerjohnbf
4 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Here is a 312-8 I bought a few weeks ago. It was listed on MP for $350.   I needed a deck ant 42"sd looked pretty good in the pictures.  I went to see it in hopes of buying only the deck, but the owner wanted to sell everything.   After pointing out the missing throttle linkage, chopped up wiring, loose steering, missing, missing drive belt RR, frozen choke, and missing drive belt, We came to a $225 price.    About what I would pay for a decent working 42" SD.       I rewired, repaired steering, and replaced all missing parts  from my" parts buckets"     The deck is good and runs quiet and the 301 starts easy, sounds good and idles down nicely.     I will make it a plow tractor and give it to my son Mark.  He has a green Chinese tractor with a snow blower that he says is useless. I have a good 48" blade and long frame in my junk pile and I found this red neck axle bracket in the junk that I will use after I make some serious modifications including adding a weight rack.

Thats nice! That's the kind of deal I would love to find.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

Thats nice! That's the kind of deal I would love to find.

Just try to exercise as much patience as possible. 

Funny thing is, once you find one you might find 7.  Or they might find you like we've had happen here. 

The right one will come along and we'll all be near as excited as you and more than willing to help you fix it up or maintain it. 

@Ed Kennell that's a very interesting take on a plow bracket. 

Looks reasonably rugged. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Have some cash available and then take your time looking. Don't be afraid to walk away! Tell people you are looking, sometimes that's the best way to find them. 

And if you see a good deal online, jump on it ASAP. Snooze you lose is this game!! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

that's a very interesting take on a plow bracket. 

Looks reasonably rugged

It came in a job lot and I don't know what it was used on, but the opening is too narrow for a WH axle.   The plow  frame mounting is the correct width and configuration for a WH plow frame. 

I'll be cutting  off the upper legs  and add angle irons to bolt it to the axles.    The top angles will be extended to the rear for a weight bracket.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Bet you can't own just one!  Not for very long!

Any of them with 5 lug 12" rear wheels will do a tremendous amount of work with whatever attachments you find.  Don't look down on the 1960s and up or the little 8hps either!  Blowing and tilling would like more power but you'd be surprised how much snow the little 8hp will move around!  Soon, you will find that it's better to have several tractors with different attachments that remain attached.  I've paid as little as $150 for a running 8hp with deck and it was great for years and will be again someday!  I've bought several for $300 or so and just passed on one for $250.  Tougher to find attachments than tractors.  And don't pass up other brand GTs as long as they have 12" rear tires.  They will all drag carts, most can take a clevis hitch and many will come with at least a deck.  

You'll find lots of help here!

Good luck!

Just remembered!  While I don't own any 15" rear WHs but SURE not to just pass by those!  WH or other brands!  I have a Craigslist search that runs all the time and notifies me of a tractor within my striking range.  Been a great source!

Edited by DennisThornton
15" wheels
  • Like 1

racerjohnbf

@RandyLittrell

@ebinmaine

Yep I'm not in any rush finding one. Gotta convince the wife I need another project first anyway lol. If I can come across one $200 to $300 range that might help my case.

@DennisThornton

Yeah since reading all these replies I have really opened up about what to look for. I'm sure I'll start with one and see what finds me after that.

Edited by racerjohnbf
tag ebinmaine
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, racerjohnbf said:

@RandyLittrell

@ebinmaine

Yep I'm not in any rush finding one. Gotta convince the wife I need another project first anyway lol. If I can come across one $200 to $300 range that might help my case.

@DennisThornton

Yeah since reading all these replies I have really opened up about what to look for. I'm sure I'll start with one and see what finds me after that.

Wise man!  In many ways!  We can help, but not with all things...

Honestly, there are lots of bargains out there and I think that WHs are one of the best bargains in GTs!  Crazy good bargains sometimes!  Pretty shiny paint doesn't push snow!  Oh, it looks good when mowing but who is standing out there looking at your blow or plow snow with an old tractor?  Might later on ask "How'd you do that?". but not while it's snowing.  And we can help with that as well.

Take your time!  I love WHs but they aren't the only good GTs!

However, pretty sure this is the BEST GT forum!  So that make WHs a little better value than some others!

Edited by DennisThornton
's
  • Like 2

racerjohnbf
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

Take your time!  I love WHs but they aren't the only good GTs!

However, pretty sure this is the BEST GT forum!  So that make WHs a little better value than some others!

Yep I'm in no hurry and now that I've discovered these little old tractors I'll take my time and look for a deal.

I saw in your profile one of your tractors is a Sears. My Grandad had a small Sears garden tractor when I was young. Too bad it's long gone. I have no idea what model but I remember it being yellow with a white hood and had a little manual lift hitch on the back.

And yes, I've only been here a short time but this is definitely a great forum. Lots of friendly and helpful people here.

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, racerjohnbf said:

Yep I'm in no hurry and now that I've discovered these little old tractors I'll take my time and look for a deal.

I saw in your profile one of your tractors is a Sears. My Grandad had a small Sears garden tractor when I was young. Too bad it's long gone. I have no idea what model but I remember it being yellow with a white hood and had a little manual lift hitch on the back.

And yes, I've only been here a short time but this is definitely a great forum. Lots of friendly and helpful people here.

You'll do well here.  The old Sears were Ropers and pretty darned good GTs. Don't pass up a bargain!  Don't be in a hurry if you don't have to be...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
21 hours ago, D_Mac said:

My 2 cents is it all depends on the size of the property you want to maintain. That being said there is little argument in the saying.. " the bigger, the better" . I live in the city and have little use for any tractor of any size, but because of my love for them, there is almost always one in my garage. Right now I have a 857.. great little tractor, have nothing bad to say about it. Would most likely be able to do a lot of what a typical homeowner would ask bigger tractor to do. Maybe not as easily, but it would get it done. Now I have also owned a C-161 Automatic and a 416 - 8. There is no substitute for the 16hp Kohler. Each have their plus and minus. Automatics arnt for everyone. So if I had to recommend just one....... I would say a 416 -8 for 2 simple reasons... power and comfort. I like the Magnum engines. The C-161 I had to make a few changes to to get to my liking is the reason why I give the nod to the 416 - 8. You really cant go wrong with any of the Wheel Horse line up... just depends on what you are going to do with it. I would even recommend one of the RER, depending on the task !!!

20200715_110540.jpg

20200628_200533.jpg

20210104_124735.jpg

20190407_123014_resized.jpg

20190915_162425.jpg

20191007_183213.jpg

two Kohler 16 one lungs ...

can't stop grinning  ...  

and the C-161 is especially awesome 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1