racerjohnbf

Looking for my first Horse....Which model?

racerjohnbf

Hi everyone! I'm new to Wheelhorse tractors and looking to get one to use around the yard.

I'm probably wanting a "newer" model, say mid 80's and up. But I'm not sure the best models to look for.

I will at least want to put a plow blade on the front to help smooth my RC car track., pull the aerator around the yard and maybe even try to find a snow blower even though we don't get a ton of snow around here lol. Tiller maybe... and I hope to get one strong enough to pull my smoker from my house across the field to my parents. Smoker is probably a little over a 1000 pounds and there is a moderate hill to go up so that may be asking a bit much. I don't know, I have exactly zero experience with these little tractors. Oh and I  might get a DR Grader to pull behind it. 

So yeah, I guess I'm looking for something that can do it all lol. And hopefully one that is popular enough that implements won't  be too hard to find.

If y'all could give me an idea what models to look for and what I should expect in prices that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

roadapples

C160 gets my vote. Do nearly anything and easier to work on than the newer models...

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Hey John,  anything 8 hp and up will likely suit you.  As for a tiller, maybe 10 hp minimum depending on your soil.  I have done it with “Putt Putt” my 8 hp. 502.  attachments are fairly universal, shy of very old tractors and very new ones.  As with every need, weight = traction whenever you’re ground engaging or pushing snow, dirt, etc.

Edited by pullstart
Video
  • Like 4

oldredrider

If you're planning in using a tiller, an 8 speed works much better than a hydro. Just a heads up...

• Like 5

JohnD

And if you want to plow then a hydro is nicer than a manual.  My 1983 C-175 has been working well for plowing and yardwork since I picked it up in early fall. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine

For ease of repair and maintenance your best bet, given the desire for an 80s model, would be a 300 series. 

Less wiring to deal with. 

We plow snow with 2 manuals right now. 

Trina uses her 1967 867 and I use a '74 C160. 

The only disadvantage to a manual transmission for plowing is if you do alot of back and forth the clutch and up/down lever are in constant use. Hence, so is your left foot and arm. 

A hydro with a hydraulic lift would be easier on your body in that way. I have one in process right now. 

300 series were made in 8, 10 and 12 horsepower versions. ANY would work. 12 would be stronger of course. 

Was it me I'd go for a manual transmission. They were all 8 speeds at that point. 

That would be a better overall fit given the desired chores to be completed.... IMHO. 

The towing CAPACITY is 200 to 300 pounds. The towing CAPABILITY is FAR more. The STOPPING is what dictates your actual towing ability. 

I've moved over 1000 pounds in very hilly terrain many times. 

I run machinery as my profession. I have my tractor set up VERY well to do so. I'm comfortable doing so. 

The question is likely not 

CAN it move the smoker. 

It's more like

SHOULD it move the smoker. 

Wheelhorses are extremely capable machines. They also tend to multiply seemingly by themselves. 

Perhaps your TRUE BEST BET is one of each .... hydro and manual transmission!!

:lol:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

tom2p

Kohler Magnum powered 312-8 or similar will perform great and durable as an anvil 

and many available attachments that work well and easy to install and remove (for the most part 'tool less') 

definitely would be one good option

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Skwerl58

I have a 1987 414-8 and love it. I have a plow, tiller, cultivator, front push blade, and 42" deck. I think the hydraulic lift would be nice but I use my lift with zero issues. I have a switch by passed but have had zero other electrical issues. I think a Wheel Horse would be a great choice, let us know what you choose.

• Like 2

tom2p
1 hour ago, racerjohnbf said:

I will at least want to put a plow blade on the front to help smooth my RC car track.,

my youngest kid used our 312-8 to build his RC track - but he used the mower deck / blades more than the plow ... ( grrrr )

8DA24111-8E55-4D13-A3A5-1D0C7229F5DB.jpeg

9AFE1884-A894-41A5-AABC-B01D365E59EC.png

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

racerjohnbf
3 minutes ago, tom2p said:

my youngest kid used our 312-8 to build his RC track - but he used the mower deck / blades more than the plow ... ( grrrr )

8DA24111-8E55-4D13-A3A5-1D0C7229F5DB.jpeg

9AFE1884-A894-41A5-AABC-B01D365E59EC.png

Nice! I'll bet those blades could use a good sharpening after that!

• Like 1

racerjohnbf

So what I'm hearing is almost any model will do what I need to do. 

Tilling is not a top priority, my dad has a 60 inch tiller on the back of a 25hp tractor we do the big tilling with. And I have an Ariens walk behind tiller I want to get going over the winter. But it would be nice to have lol.

I don't have to have an 80's or 90's model, I just really like the looks of those years for some reason lol. I will definitely keep an open mind in my search though.

What can I expect to pay for a decent unit?

Ed Kennell

, IMO,   12 HP is the minimum required to operate a snow blower, 42" mowing deck or a tiller.      For snow removal, blower or plow, I consider a Hydro a requirement.   An 8speed gear drive may be better for tilling, but a Hydro with hydraulic lift is so nice for changing direction and lifting blowers and plows.  

If I could only have one tractor, it would be for  312H with the 1100 Eaton and hydraulic lift.     The K301s use 1/2 the fuel and throw off 1/2 the heat as the twin cyls.      I have twins, Onans and Kohlers, but only use them in the winter for snow removal.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
27 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

So what I'm hearing is almost any model will do what I need to do. 

Tilling is not a top priority, my dad has a 60 inch tiller on the back of a 25hp tractor we do the big tilling with. And I have an Ariens walk behind tiller I want to get going over the winter. But it would be nice to have lol.

I don't have to have an 80's or 90's model, I just really like the looks of those years for some reason lol. I will definitely keep an open mind in my search though.

Value is very much driven by your area.  I have grabbed close to running tractors for as little as $100 and purchased basket case packages for a few hundred.  These have been 60’s and 70’s models, but you could find a good running package for $500-750 (once again) depending on the market in your area and the seller’s desire to move it or not.  Often times, large packages can be had for a reasonable price and additional not needed attachments can be sold to offset the cost.  

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
25 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

If I could only have one tractor, it would be for  312H with the 1100 Eaton and hydraulic lift. 

This gets my vote, too.

• Like 2

JCM

@racerjohnbf   :text-welcomeconfetti:to   :rs:These guys are all correct, all of the above. For me you never forget your first girl a 312-8.First picture is my first WH tractor new in 1989. A few other of my favorites also. Good luck which ever you chose.

P1012403.JPG

P1012445.JPG

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 081.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

• Like 6

Handy Don
38 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

I don't have to have an 80's or 90's model, I just really like the looks of those years for some reason lol

As @pullstart noted, there are a lot of factors. Are you looking for turn-key, modest repair/refurb, or willing to take on significant work. My rule of thumb is $200-300 separates these levels. Your time and financial state are important but compared to buying a new garden tractor, a good used WH can be a bargain.

• Like 2

racerjohnbf
2 minutes ago, JCM said:

@racerjohnbf   :text-welcomeconfetti:to   :rs:These guys are all correct, all of the above. For me you never forget your first girl a 312-8.First picture is my first WH tractor new in 1989. A few other of my favorites also. Good luck which ever you chose.

P1012403.JPG

P1012445.JPG

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 081.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

Thanks! Those are some nice looking rigs!

What model is that front end loader on?I hadn't even thought of a loader, but that would be handy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

racerjohnbf
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

As @pullstart noted, there are a lot of factors. Are you looking for turn-key, modest repair/refurb, or willing to take on significant work. My rule of thumb is $200-300 separates these levels. Your time and financial state are important but compared to buying a new garden tractor, a good used WH can be a bargain.

Well for my first one I would want something that wouldn't take too awfully much work to get it going just cause I could use it sooner. But the again, I'm open to pretty much anything.

• Like 2

JCM

That loader was pictured on a 1986   417-8 and also ran it on the 520-H for 1 year. Loader has been sold to a member but still have the 417. Glad you like those tractors. They are all awesome.  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

@WVHillbilly520H might offer good knowledge here. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@racerjohnbf I see you live in eastern Va. I live in Richmond and we have other members located around the state . Prices are higher in Va. compared to Pa. and Midwest states. A loader will add at least $1500.00 to the price. Front blade will cost between $150.00 to $200.00 . Don't jump on the first tractor you see. I have a C-120A, a 310-8 , 312-8 and a 416-8 . I like the 300-400 series . 

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
can't spell or type
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Herder

I find it's best to just buy one of each and as many attachment as you can find!  :confusion-shrug: 

IMG_1663.JPG.57d2fd72848bee0ea36b76534b93eb71.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

racerjohnbf
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@racerjohnbf I see you live in eastern Va. I live in Richmond and we have other members located around the state . Prices are higher in Va. compared to Pa. and Midwest states. A loader will add at least $1500.00 to the price. Front blade will cost between $150.00 to $200.00 . Don't jump on the first tractor you see. I have a C-120A, a 310-8 , 312-8 and a 416-8 . I like the 300-400 series . 

So a tractor with a loader is out of my price range... for now. And I would probable want a dedicated tractor for that anyway.

Looks like a 300, 400 or maybe 500 series might be ideal. Are all those hydrostatic and hydraulic lift? Is there a center mounted scraper for these models?

What should I expect to pay for one of those model tractors around here? 

And finally where do you all usually find your tractors? Craigslist?

WVHillbilly520H

314H, 416H, 520H, 417A , C160A are just a few hydro/hydraulic models not all hydros are hydraulic lift, any model with "8" after the 3 digit number is a gear drive (312-8,315-8,414-8,416-8,) average near me $5-1500 dependent on hours condition and attachments, mid-grader blades are rare as hen's teeth around me and worth their weight in gold, good luck with your hunt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1