BeninCT

Sliding rail forklift style FEL?

elcamino/wheelhorse

@BeninCT Some times I tend to over think things.  I think as the unit is tilted out from the tractor , it will  tend to push the front end down and stress where the frame and trans meet . A sub frame from the front all the way to the rear axle and beyond, will keep the rear end and your body flying up in the air. 

• Like 2

BeninCT
8 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@BeninCT Some times I tend to over think things.  I think as the unit is tilted out from the tractor , it will  tend to push the front end down and stress where the frame and trans meet . A sub frame from the front all the way to the rear axle and beyond, will keep the rear end and your body flying up in the air. 

Agreed- part of the reason I am building this instead of a true FEL is the keep the loads as close to the tractor as possible to reduce their leverage on the tractor (spindles/frame etc.) and I am definitely and over thinker!  No experience adding to one of these so happy to explore all thoughts- my first would be to try to compare the weight of a front mount snow blower to this forklift to see how they compare (considering a load on the forks too).  

I am guessing they are well over 100 lbs so if the front attach a matic can hold that then I should be ok given the added attachment points but only time will tell.  It’s admittedly light in its construction so will have to try to just use it for light loads like I said.  Try at least :)

• Like 2

BeninCT

Took a few more bites today after getting some parts in the mail.

Looks like I will have to make a new bumper to mount it all on.  Was planning to put the winch under the tractor or under the bumper but its going to make more sense to mount it on the bumper mainly so I can leave it on the tractor when the forklift is off and not have to take all the wiring etc.. off.  Not surprised that I have to make a piece again considering the level of complication for my first real act of fabrication.  Overall I am pretty fired up about its future utility though.  I feel like I am striking the perfect mix of strength and light weight so it will be as light as possible but I suspect be able to handle the occasional really heavy load.  Maybe need to unload a heavy item from the truck so I could block up the axle and lift it and drive the truck out from under it and just set it down- no driving. But in general I think it will handle 200 lbs like nothing.  Spindles be damned 😱 

Keep having to remind myself that it will prob weigh 80-90lbs when finally assembled.  Anyone think I should upgrade my spindles/wheels or can I get away with a welded brace on them?

1FA58FFA-01D8-4DCC-94BC-1CF0AAB86BA1.jpeg

3F1498F0-30F4-4F46-A054-C852E3E31597.jpeg

C71167A1-43F0-45F7-97F7-F2A9EA98E411.jpeg

• Like 2

DennisThornton

No first hand experience but I'd suspect the spindles first.  Maybe some HDs later.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Have you given any thought to casters with pneumatic tires to help with the heavy loads like the picture on post number 3 of this thread.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Given the accessory weight of 100-ish I'd say a 200 lb capacity is very reasonable. 

The original loaders had the same spindles and if not overloaded would do fine. Obviously excessive wear is an issue but for occasional use you'd likely be fine. 

It would certainly be a good idea to make a brace for the existing spindles and weld them in place. 

Nice work. 

I'm enjoying the build. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BeninCT
8 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Have you given any thought to casters with pneumatic tires to help with the heavy loads like the picture on post number 3 of this thread.

Yes I considered but there something about them that takes away the independent feel of the machine lol.  Would be great for hard surfaces but most of my running is on grass that I don’t want to make tracks in so going to give the stock wheels/spindles a try and see how it goes.  

Per @ebinmaine will prob weld some gussets to the stock spindles but want to get it done and weigh it first to see if I need them.  Quick job i think but I am lazy I guess. 

Thanks for following along fellers.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, BeninCT said:

Thanks for following along fellers

Thanks for taking the time to post!!

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I may borrow some of your ideas as I want to build a semi REL ( rear end loader ) on my 416-8 . I have a small bucket and a brain full of ideas that have not made it to drawings .  I am enjoying looking at your work. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 1/20/2021 at 9:17 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Some times I tend to over think things

Yeah. Me. That. Definitely! :) :D :lol:

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, Handy Don said:
On 1/20/2021 at 9:17 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Some times I tend to over think things

Yeah. Me. That. Definitely

I've never one time NOT over thunked something.  

:ROTF:

• Like 1

BeninCT
6 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I may borrow some of your ideas as I want to build a semi REL ( rear end loader ) on my 416-8 . I have a small bucket and a brain full of ideas that have not made it to drawings .  I am enjoying looking at your work. 

I would wait until I’m done in case its no good lol

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, BeninCT said:

I would wait until I’m done in case its no good lol

Well at least you're honest....

BeninCT

Few more steps today... its gonna weigh more than 100 lbs though now that I am getting to the end...  

1x2 forks.  Bought the steel on amazon of all places-

winch on bumper/wired up

unistrut dollies welded to the fork carriage.  

A7E391FD-9732-4D7C-A79A-3D270DFA9393.jpeg

96D6A926-FAE2-4C89-892C-9DE249167D5C.jpeg

B7FC30F6-79DF-43EA-92A4-A1467B35E7BD.jpeg

• Like 3

BeninCT

Been working at it here and there and its finally running!

I am guessing the whole rig weighs about 110-120lbs which is more than I wanted but its tough to build something to lift like this and make it light.

Check it out!

Please offer comments and criticisms.   Still a bunch to do but it easily lifts me at 230lbs sitting on a 2x10 on the forks.  Think this tractor chassis was maybe 80-90?   

990ECEBB-CB1E-4489-83B3-68517A1708C7.jpeg

0D6B27F5-6BA5-4AFA-97C3-EC2439A95921.jpeg

• Excellent 2

BeninCT

Couple more

A076CE49-5EBD-4486-B46A-3D241DC2B6AC.jpeg

A412B3F5-17BF-4DCD-A9DB-21567F130376.jpeg

• Excellent 2

BeninCT

Last one 

7910A279-A087-494F-BB0D-22EEB90C5EA9.jpeg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine

EXCELLENT work Sir. 

Very nicely done. 

Looks quite solid. 

The only "suggestion" I'd have is to consider a counterweight at the rear equal to the lifted weight. 

Adds safety and also helps traction. 

If you have a YouTube channel I'd love to see a video of that in operation. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Excellent ! Counter on rear as Eric suggested, you already have the hitch on the rear to start the counter weight.   It would be nice to see how you picked up the tractor with the snow blade on the front.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

.   It would be nice to see how you picked up the tractor with the snow blade on the front.

Magic floating tractor method

• Haha 1

DennisThornton

I'm certainly following along because I think there's a good idea here and I want to see where it goes.

• Like 2

Handy Don
4 hours ago, BeninCT said:

.  Think this tractor chassis was maybe 80-90?   

I'd guess heavier but that lift is impressive!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Ben I just showed this Trina. 

You got:

Super cool. And nifty. 

:occasion-snowman:

• Heart 1

BeninCT
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

EXCELLENT work Sir. 

Very nicely done. 

Looks quite solid. 

The only "suggestion" I'd have is to consider a counterweight at the rear equal to the lifted weight. 

Adds safety and also helps traction. 

If you have a YouTube channel I'd love to see a video of that in operation. 

Thanks lot of grinding on ugly waves of bad welding but getting better slowly.  Think it will stay black to not highlight my welding “skills”.

Counter weight is an interesting thought- I had my weight  on the forks this morning and bounced a couple times pretty hard on it.  The font tires compressed but I think the tractor could handle 3-4 times my weight before it the back wheels even considered leaving the ground.  The front spindles I think are the weak point but something else would def give way before that much weight could be applied.   I built these forks because I didnt like the leverage and weight that a FEL would put on this little tractor as stout as it is.  Tractor also drove with that weight off the ground pretty easily. 

Are the larger spindles and 8” wheels that can be swapped into this model?

BeninCT
4 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Excellent ! Counter on rear as Eric suggested, you already have the hitch on the rear to start the counter weight.   It would be nice to see how you picked up the tractor with the snow blade on the front.

I have the wheel weights on the rears and no sign of any lift out back when that tractor frame was on the forks so I think I am good.  Will see though- 

Had to put it on there with my hands!  Steel on steel so it slid right on but I am too lazy to take off the plow with snow coming Monday lol.  

• Like 2