resistor sparkplugs or not?

In the H70 Tecumseh on my `69 700 and the H60 on my `68 Lawn Ranger i use non resistor sparkplugs because that is what they had in them new.  should i be using resistor plugs?  i tried them i believe they started harder and did not tun as well with them...or was it my imagination?  i also think i had a better spark

what do think?

ri702bill

Going waaay back - resistor plugs came out to eliminate ignition "noise" that could be heard on the car AM radio.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Yup it was your imagination. The resistor plugs require no more voltage to fire than non-resistor. The resistance is in the insulation to stop leakage out. Same thing with fatter ign wires. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

I use non resistor plugs, now that I have read this will have to post a warning below the beware of dog sign and smile your on candid camera. To avoid being sued for a wrongful death.

Devices that May Interfere with ICDs and Pacemakers

Gas-powered equipment and gasoline ignition systems, I'm assuming the author wrote this article without know about non resistor plugs.

Components within the ignition systems of gas-powered engines can cause interference in some cases. If you have an ICD, stay at least 12 inches away from the ignition system of a vehicle or other gas-powered equipment.

This does not prohibit you from using a key to start a car – the ignition components are far enough away from the car’s front seats. Discuss with your doctor when it’s appropriate for you to drive again after ICD or pacemaker surgery.

• Like 1

Zeek
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Going waaay back - resistor plugs came out to eliminate ignition "noise" that could be heard on the car AM radio.

Bill

:text-yeahthat:They are simply to eliminate radio interference. As far as pacemakers (if for some reason you plan to put it within 12'') I believe they mean the "ignition system", meaning the coils/magneto that generate the high voltage and wires that carry it, not the plug buried in the head. Don't be a plug hater :ychain:

• Haha 1

oldredrider

Had a portable generator (Teccy powered) that would not run right without resistor plugs. Never did bother to research whether it was the engine affected by the genny or vice versa. 

Engine ran fine, if it had a resistor plug.

bc.gold
1 hour ago, Zeek said:

:text-yeahthat:They are simply to eliminate radio interference. As far as pacemakers (if for some reason you plan to put it within 12'') I believe they mean the "ignition system", meaning the coils/magneto that generate the high voltage and wires that carry it, not the plug buried in the head. Don't be a plug hater :ychain:

VA7ELM certificate with honors. Licensed ham operators who design and build their own equipment have to be aware of radio interference that may cause issues with neighbors electronics.

First generation spark plug wires had a wire core, 2nd gen wires are carbon impregnated fiber.

Do not pull the wire portion as you can damage the wire which in turn will require a replacement. Grab firmly onto the spark plug wire boot, then twist in either direction and pull off simultaneously.

By pulling the cable incorrectly could cause an internal break which in turn a allow for a spark gap, the wireless telegraph works on the principle.

Spark-gap transmitter

A spark-gap transmitter is an obsolete type of radio transmitter which generates radio waves by means of an electric spark.[1][2] Spark-gap transmitters were the first type of radio transmitter, and were the main type used during the wireless telegraphy or "spark" era, the first three decades of radio, from 1887 to the end of World War I.[3][4] German physicist Heinrich Hertz built the first experimental spark-gap transmitters in 1887, with which he proved the existence of radio waves and studied their properties.

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2

Gregor

Thanks or the question 305. That is something I have always wondered about. Along the same line, are wire core spark plug wires any better, or worse than carbon fiber wire?

lynnmor

Years ago there was a guy that set up at carnivals selling Hot Spark Intensifiers that were only large resistors replacing the coil wire.  He demonstrated the engine performance with the device and with a plain coil wire showing improvement with his device.  It was basically a scam, but it did show the benefits of increased resistance when the spark plugs are in poor condition.  You see, on a simple points ignition the spark voltage rises till it is enough to discharge thru the wires and plugs.  The higher voltage caused by the resistance was able to jump the spark plug gap instead of bleeding away thru faulty wires and dirty plugs.

bc.gold

Electricity always takes the shortest route provided.

The ribs are spark arresters. one path removed.

spacer.png

bc.gold

High voltage cable testing

Cable diagnostic testing is predictive in nature, determining the relative degradation level of a cable against it’s newly manufactured condition.

Full article.