explain to me two things i don't get.........

JCM
25 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

20200914_205351.jpg.99ca540e9f572df25a94ef3b82d3f825.jpg

Yes sir, same tractor, same ags!

Sitting proudly there under that beautiful American flag that allows you to set up your W-H tractor in this country any way you see fit to.

God bless the U.S.A.

20200914_150753.jpg.e2c231b494c9484f32234ebd0d1885af.jpg

Amen Brother, That is a real work of art.   :clap:    Love the front ags on that.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I did the AGs all 4 corners because 1 I really liked the the OTR brand I put on the back (great year around traction without chains) and they are the same brand and correct factory size for the 520s and yes IMHO has increased my steering traction as well mowing slopes, gardening, and snow removal while installed in the "correct" orientation as the rears, these have a more pronounced bar angle than "generic" AGs plus have a straight center section that seems to enhance the ride (front/rear over the standard bar design)and reverse traction of the driven tires in my experiences so far. As a young fella, my father had a straight pipe stack on the CC Original K161 the only benefit of that was the cool factor ,definitely not my hearing.

20201019_171231_HDR.jpg

IMAG3808.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

slim67

Like Ron Swanson from "parks and rec" would say, " because this is America and I can" !

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Haha 1

Skipper

1. I run ags on the front because the plane janes tend to skid, so traction as primary reason. Yes it works. Doesn't hurt it looks good either .

2. I run a high stack, simply because I firmly believe the birds like the exhaust fumes much better than I do. Only reason at all.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

Achto
4 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Why would that be? Then they would build up mud no?

You would think so but for steer tires they actually do work better.

Other backward applications would be: On a wheel driven implement such as a manure spreader, Large grain carts, and also for a pulling tractor when there is an asphalt track.

Mounting the tires backwards on a pulling tractor for an asphalt track adds one other element to the mix. Pulling on asphalt will start wearing/cutting the tread backwards leaving a taller sharper trailing on the lugs. When you turn them around to pull on a clay track, now the leading edge of the tire will be taller and sharper for better traction on the clay. It's one way to accomplish having cut pulling tires with out getting busted for grinding them.  :thumbs2: Grinding/cutting your tires to get a sharper leading edge is a no no in stock antique pulling classes. Judges often check our tires for grinder marks.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
41 minutes ago, Achto said:

way to accomplish having cut pulling tires with out getting busted for grinding them.

Would a reverse burn out work to sharpen the ags?See the source image

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Would a reverse burn out work to sharpen the ags?See the source image

Obviously yes......

JCM

NICE   71 or 2 Chevelle SS     :auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

Achto
51 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Would a reverse burn out work to sharpen the ags?

That it would Ed.:handgestures-thumbupright::D

• Like 1

PetesPonies1

I have Ags on the front of my Deere 140, but I installed them backwards. I have a hydraulic blade on the front and push dirt. The Ags help hold the line better,. I am going to build or buy another WH and put a blade on it. Not sure if I will need the Ags on the front of it.

outside for run2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

So would reversing them, then chaining to a tree while on cement or asphalt?

• Excellent 1

PetesPonies1

I run them reversed so they don't throw mud at you as much.

Handy Don
12 minutes ago, pullstart said:

So would reversing them, then chaining to a tree while on cement or asphalt?

Interesting question. Maybe also lower the air pressure to give the tread more flex.

Maxwell-8

Left: AG mounted for steering                                                                                  Right: normal 

image.png.2fc772d50ba0dbc3ca187304e5c35e7e.png

After some thinking: When AG are steering, in the normal postion, the ground gets taken head on by the ribs, and therfore no steering, When tires are flipped; they are not taking the ground/mud/sand/snow head, on but take sideways traction......  but wait, the ground, mud, moves true the ribs in the wrong direction?

I am overthinking this  :eusa-think::eusa-doh::scratchead:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Left: AG mounted for steering                                                                                  Right: normal 

image.png.2fc772d50ba0dbc3ca187304e5c35e7e.png

After some thinking: When AG are steering, in the normal postion, the ground gets taken head on by the ribs, and therfore no steering, When tires are flipped; they are not taking the ground/mud/sand/snow head, on but take sideways traction......  but wait, the ground, mud, moves true the ribs in the wrong direction?

I am overthinking this  :eusa-think::eusa-doh::scratchead:

Part of the reason that ag/bar tires are so good for driving anything in a forward manner is that they are to a very large extent self-cleaning. 

if you imagine that the arrows are pointing forward when they are at the top of the tire then they are pointing backwards when they are at the bottom of the tire.

If the tire spins at all the bars themselves will self-cleanse by moving the ground material to the OUTSIDE of the tire.

SELF-CLEANING.....

The reason that they work in the opposite manner on the front of the tractor is that the tread bars are now pointing forward when they are on the bottom. So no matter which way you turn the steering wheel one set of those bars is working directly against the ground and the other set of those bars is working to stay in line with the ground.

• Like 3

953 nut
21 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I run mine so tall because I want the exhaust to be completely out of my face and I find that with a shorter, quite frankly more aesthetically pleasing, stack on there the exhaust just blows right back at me

:text-yeahthat:                                 Platters - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes - Amazon.com Music

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Greentored

I do many things because the last four letters in American.  ICAN:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 3
  • Heart 4