ebinmaine

Race car "steering quickner/quickener"?

ebinmaine

Yes it's spelled that way....:lol:

I've been thought processing on reducing the steering effort on Colossus. 

I'll have some extra room in the vertical part of the steering system. 

I found some 2:1 steering quickners online and I'm wondering if I could just install one in upside down and cut the effort. 

Am I correct in thinking that I'd be doubling the AMOUNT of steering wheel turns lock to lock?

Thereby cutting the effort (in half?)

• Like 2

bc.gold
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes it's spelled that way....:lol:

I've been thought processing on reducing the steering effort on Colossus. 

I'll have some extra room in the vertical part of the steering system. 

I found some 2:1 steering quickners online and I'm wondering if I could just install one in upside down and cut the effort. 

Am I correct in thinking that I'd be doubling the AMOUNT of steering wheel turns lock to lock?

Thereby cutting the effort (in half?)

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Screenshot_20210114-050301.png.3f2289877e1104f86c737702ee067f37.png

• Like 1

bc.gold
19 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Screenshot_20210114-050301.png.3f2289877e1104f86c737702ee067f37.png

It's called a torque multiplier.

Q" if the input is cw is out put ccw.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

What's the torque rating Eric?

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

What's the torque rating Eric?

Not sure but I'd had that question as well. Maybe something I could find on the originating company's website.

I don't like making generalized assumptions but I can't help thinking if it's strong enough for a 3000 lb race car then it should be able to handle a 1,200 lb tractor even on rough terrain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

ebinmaine

Genius, your on the right track, if the one you have is incapible of handling the load you have many too choose from.

Example.

spacer.png

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

found some 2:1 steering quickners online and I'm wondering if I could just install one in upside down and cut the effort.

:confusion-scratchheadyellow:        If you turn it upside down wouldn't all the QUICKN run out on the ground?         :ychain:

• Haha 6

WVHillbilly520H

My thoughts are , if they use them on race cars and off-roading rigs they should definitely hold up to a 1500# tractor it 7mph, but reading Summit and other speed shops descriptions one way they quicken the other way they slow it down so more research is needed, Howe seems to be a top brand so I would try contacting them... https://howeracing.com/collections/steering-quickeners and get their input.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, 953 nut said:

:confusion-scratchheadyellow:        If you turn it upside down wouldn't all the QUICKN run out on the ground?         :ychain:

That depends what kind of funnel you put below it

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

My thoughts are , if they use them on race cars and off-roading rigs they should definitely hold up to a 1500# tractor it 7mph, but reading Summit and other speed shops descriptions one way they quicken the other way they slow it down so more research is needed, Howe seems to be a top brand so I would try contacting them... https://howeracing.com/collections/steering-quickeners and get their input.

I'd be looking for the "Slow It Down"

Thanks for the link Jeff.

squonk

Slowing it down will mean more turns of the steering wheel. Your arms are going to fall off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, squonk said:

Slowing it down will mean more turns of the steering wheel. Your arms are going to fall off. 

I drive truck all day....

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

I can't even remember how many turns lock to lock a Wheelhorse does... 2+?

I'd be fine with five turns. Most of the vehicles I drive everyday are six or eight turns. 

• Like 3

squonk

Ralphie was warned about shooting his eye out. He didn't listen.  If it wasn't for his glasses he would have done it. Your arms are going to fall off and you'll have to drink your coffee with a straw.:lol:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Ralphie was warned about shooting his eye out. He didn't listen.  If it wasn't for his glasses he would have done it. Your arms are going to fall off and you'll have to drink your coffee with a straw.:lol:

Steering with my teeth could be interesting too

• Haha 2

JoeM

No more turns than a 520 gear system but remember you will be multiplying the torque through the standard steering gear arrangement. WH did it with a double reduction at that point and the stress is after the main gear. It may hold up fine but can you find a 520 set up to put the money into??

• Like 3

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, JoeM said:

No more turns than a 520 gear system but remember you will be multiplying the torque through the standard steering gear arrangement. WH did it with a double reduction at that point and the stress is after the main gear. It may hold up fine but can you find a 520 set up to put the money into??

I thought of that too but a 520 steering system is $250 to $400. I can get one of these multipliers and whatever brackets I need for well under $100...

• Like 2

lynnmor
41 minutes ago, JoeM said:

The 520 uses much larger tie rods and tie rod ends, and the increased torque may be one reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The 520 uses much larger tie rods and tie rod ends, and the increased torque may be one reason.

That's good info. Thank you. I'm not familiar with the 520s.

We're okay there because I'll be using very oversized tie rods mostly for the reason of I have them here and they're huge. 

• Like 1

Greentored

Now this is funny- just posted up on the other thread about not sleeping last night due to a brain fry session about steering reduction. This is EXACTLY what I was researching!  Ha

• Haha 2

Pullstart

These use planetary gears to do the dirty work.  In some transmissions, you can spin it from the input, but you can’t spin the output backwards.  There could be more going on, but I wouldn’t put it past the companies to offer a bit of a brake in there to reduce the amount the car can steer the driver.  It might be worth looking into before the purchase... or make the purchase and let us know!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Now this is funny- just posted up on the other thread about not sleeping last night due to a brain fry session about steering reduction. This is EXACTLY what I was researching!  Ha

I've told you before it can't be good that you think like me. 

• Haha 3

oilwell1415

You are correct that the cars and trucks these are used on are much larger, heavier, faster, etc.  Another thing they have in common is power steering.  Very little load is used on the steering shaft to turn them.  I still think they would be OK on a WH, but I think I would be tempted to get the larger model instead of the small one.

It would not be difficult to build your own, but finding gears for a reasonable price might be difficult.  It would cost quite a bit more than the racecar part.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

Do they use power steering on race cars?  Quite a few years ago I did the Richard Petty Experience, 6 laps on the track in a Nascar ride.  Weren't no power steering on that one.  I think race drivers want all the feedback they can get...

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1