kitkit

1056 4 speed not working

kitkit

My 1056  trans just stopped  working suddenly . I took off the input pulley and the key seemed OK and the shaft seemed to be turning, trying to put in gear cautiously with out clutch gets a grinding noise,    It seems to want to turn the wheels when in gear running but mostly slips . I jacked the rear end and both wheels seem to turn free but independently .,   any suggestions wold be appreciated 

ebinmaine

Have you checked the keys in BOTH hubs?

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, kitkit said:

trying to put in gear cautiously with out clutch gets a grinding noise,

Why would you try to engage the tranny with out using the clutch?    This will cause undue damage to the gears.    The input pulley must not be turning when changing gears.

This means the belt must not be moving.  The belt guard must be in place to stop the belt from moving.  

Please check the axle keys like Eric suggested.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:              Easy way to check the axle keys is to make a line across the end of the axle and hub on each side (use magic marker or paint) and then put it in gear. The side with the bad key will become out of alignment.

• Like 1

kitkit

Thank you all for  the information , I took the wheels /hubs off today and  you were right  the right  key had been worn off , I replaced both sides . the left was not to bad . Seems to work good now . I was working on it in the dark last night and could not tell if the input shaft was turning was why  i  delicately tried to put it in gear to verify that it was turning not the best idea but an idea .  Thanks again    

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, kitkit said:

Thank you all for  the information , I took the wheels /hubs off today and  you were right  the right  key had been worn off , I replaced both sides . the left was not to bad . Seems to work good now . I was working on it in the dark last night and could not tell if the input shaft was turning was why  i  delicately tried to put it in gear to verify that it was turning not the best idea but an idea .  Thanks again    

Glad to hear you got it figured out!