Pullstart

Does anyone have “bulk” storage in their pantry?

Pullstart

We have considered getting some extra flour, sugar, etc in bulk pack.  We don’t have mice in the house, but we do occasionally have humidity.  We also discovered we have “pantry moths” and have been combatting them.  Does anyone have first hand dry storage experience, like a sealed tote?  I would like to do something with a gasket, to seal outside air too.

WHNJ701

Vacuum seal it.

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Vacuum seal it.

I have one of those, a Game Saver.  Those pesky moths eat through sealed plastic to get to flour, etc.

ebinmaine

We keep a variety of things in our basement ranging from canned goods, paper towels, toilet paper, to clothing to parts and supplies for our camping trips and I also have a small parts department in there for the machines that we use in the yard.

My entire basement is above the natural grade of the ground so we never had any actual running water in there but we do have a constant battle with humidity unless it is particularly dry in the winter months.

Because of that we've been using a dehumidifier for several years and that completely eliminated any mold or mildew or odd smells from anywhere in the basement.

I would recommend vacuum sealing as stated above if possible. You know for sure if the vacuum is broken that seal and that package has been compromised.

We don't have any sort of insect or moth problems so I don't know what it would entail to eliminate that.

I think it's ultra important to keep in mind that if you can buy flour, sugar etc 10 or 15 lb at a time or whatever and NOT throw any away it's a lot better than having a container of a large amount of bulk damaged or compromised because your losses are much greater. 

• Like 2

WHX??
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

moths eat through sealed plastic to get to

Now that's bizarre. Try moving stuff out until they go away. Take away the food source they might leave and not find their way back. I think I imported some in once in a box of cereal and that's what I had to do to get rid of them. Took a couple months . They never bothered me just figured a little more meat on the table.... bothered Cindy till no end tho. 

• Haha 3

DennisThornton

I think long term storage is a great idea but not necessarily a money saver or even convenience unless the grocery is a long haul, more a confidence/security builder.  Not a bad thing as I watch TV today!  Mylar vacuum and/or O2 and/or moisture absorbers and store in 5 gal buckets. Don't need food grade if in separate bags.  Some good for 20 years!  (Brown rice, oils and oily food not so long...)  Or vacuum seal glass jars.  Store all in the cool dark.  Lots of info online and preppers and Mormons/LDS are serious about it.  Easy enough when you are setup and in a rhythm.  

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I have one of those, a Game Saver.  Those pesky moths eat through sealed plastic to get to flour, etc.

I think sometimes those caterpillars/eggs are already in the flour when you buy it and it's the moths breaking out.

• Like 2

Achto
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

We have considered getting some extra flour

3 hours ago, jabelman said:

I think sometimes those caterpillars/eggs are already in the flour when you buy it

If you store flour for a long term it will develop bugs, even if it is "hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar under Funk and Wagnall's porch". Fact of life. The first time  this happened at my house it took some convincing to stop my wife from burning the house down to get rid of the bugs. :D

I may have been working in a factory too long, but when it comes to some foods I lean towards "On time delivery". I know this concept is practiced in almost every factory and does not work in any of them. Some things just will not store long term.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I once read ALL processed  grains have a % of bugs and bug  parts in them. Leaving out the rodents here but they probably factor in too. Hopefully I didn't just ruin your box of cornflakes or bag of Cheetos. The FDA or whatever power that may be said this is fine as long as it's not over a certain %. 

20 minutes ago, Achto said:

stop my wife from burning the house down to get rid of the bugs. :D

Between  the roof, the front porch and the electric shocks off the stove not a bad idea Dan......insurance paid up!?!? :lol:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, WHX24 said:

Cheetos

A little extra protein ain't botherin' me a whisker if it's cheezytoes flavored!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

So herein lies the question Kev .... what did our ancestors the pioneers do? They used flour & stuff that was just in sacks on wagons for weeks if not months but yet we are here to tell about it? I don't  recollect them having game savers, sealed totes or fridgidaires for that matter.  Food for thought. 

• Like 1

Moparfanforever

Bay leaves repel bugs , but i have never heard of pantry moths , maybe the leaves will work on them ??

Mason jars if you can find them. Any kind of glass jar will work for dry storage , most have some kind of seal on the lid. Pickle jar is a good example. Use an oxygen absorber w/bay leaf if you feel the need.

Rubbermaid makes different size totes with a gasket. I have several and they are nice and good quality.

Vacuum seal and store in ammo boxes if you don't have all your stored ammo in them.

WM has heavier see through plastic food storage containers w/gasket.  

Food grade 5 gallon buckets w/gasket lid. But they are pricey right now. You can sometimes buy smaller food grade buckets from a WM bakery , if an employee hasn't bought them . They usually sell them for a dollar or two.

Look at Youtube for prepper food storage , long term dry storage , etc. Thousands of videos.

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Achto said:

If you store flour for a long term it will develop bugs, even if it is "hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar under Funk and Wagnall's porch". Fact of life. The first time  this happened at my house it took some convincing to stop my wife from burning the house down to get rid of the bugs. :D

I may have been working in a factory too long, but when it comes to some foods I lean towards "On time delivery". I know this concept is practiced in almost every factory and does not work in any of them. Some things just will not store long term.

Hatchlings can't live long in a vacuum or an otherwise O2 deprived environment.  Another reason to treat flours.  Some suggest freezing first but I see no need if you remove the O2. 

• Thanks 1