PeacemakerJack

Watches—are you kidding me?

PeacemakerJack

In this day and age of “high technology” devices, it is fun to have things that occasionally break the trend.  I appreciate aspects of technology, like being able to connect and learn so much about :wh: tractors through my computer/tablet/phone from Red Square.  However, I also like to take a break from technology now and again😉.  One of the ways that I have found to do that is through a traditional wrist watch.  I enjoy quality craftsmanship wherever I can find it but a well made watch (whether pocket or wrist) is really cool.

7832298E-4767-4AB8-B9CF-C34E9038A3BC.jpeg.926821d3f82b5b54c7f351d5657952aa.jpeg

My wife bought me a Citizen Eco-Drive for my 40th Birthday about four years ago and it has given me an appreciation for a good watch.  This Christmas she got me another one (a Citizen NaviHawk AT—more about that in a subsequent post) and I took some Christmas money from the folks and bought this one...

228525AB-154B-4E20-A7D1-4B44CB384CDA.jpeg.2312f98b6906d8a2261d9d9db9328b65.jpeg

I like the Eco-drive system since it’s battery is automatically recharged from light (natural or artificial).  It drives me nuts having to replace watch batteries on a regular basis in my cheaper watches.  

If you guys are interested, this thread would be a place to share and discuss heirloom pieces (passed down for generations), new cool traditional watches (with unique features),  your favorite brands (and why), etc.

I have the time piece that my paternal grandfather wore everyday while working the fields.  As a watch nothing special (Timex) but it holds a great sentimental value to me.  From my maternal grandfather I have a 1970’s era DuFonte automatic watch that he was given as a gift years ago as a professor.

FC933B45-F2A8-421D-825D-7F1252B8A87F.jpeg.4a5c82722f9c2999758f2bc503f847b1.jpeg

This watch also holds a great deal of sentiment with me.  

I stopped wearing wristwatches for about 10 years but now I’m back into it and I like it👍🏻😉😁😎.  Maybe some of you have watches with stories to share or just some chatter about your favorite brands and why.

yes, I am a nerd😂

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

I wear a wrist watch every day.
  Everyone uses a cell phone nowadays to know what time it is, but the military buildings I’m in don’t allow cell phones past the front door. I just wear inexpensive Timex Indiglo watches for work, if it gets destroyed I wont shed a tear. 
  I do have my grandfathers watch, will have to snag a pic when I get home. It’s probably nothing special to watch collectors but to me it’s priceless. 
C8957E2D-4603-47BD-A232-4F59B56F6534.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

squonk

I have been using the $10 Wally World watches. when I was working at the hospital, I was always smashing the chrystals on the fire door handles. Broke 2 , two days in a row. Not working anymore. Maybe when I finally destroy this watch I'll get something nice.

My old manager at the Napa had his Timex watch from when he got confirmed. It was at least 25 yrs. old. He was also the cheapest guy I ever met. After I left the store I went to get my hair cut. We had the same barber. I sat on the couch to wait and felt something jab me in the Tushy. It was a Timex watch. I gave it to the barber and he says "that's Timmy's watch. He's been going crazy looking for it" :) So I brought it to his house when I new he wouldn't be there but his GF was. It was getting close to Christmas. She had bought him a new watch for Christmas so with a devilish grin she says " He's not getting this back until he wears the new one long enough so that he can't return it" Because he's so darn cheap he would have! 

• Haha 8

ebinmaine

Most of the jobs I've had have been physical working ones so I don't wear a wristwatch and I haven't for a very long "time."

:hide:

Back about 15 or 18 years ago before I had a cell phone to carry around I did have a pocket watch for a while. Inexpensive. Plain design.. Sort of a pewter color.

My maternal grandfather was Not Small like me and he always used to wear the stretchable wristband type. Fully stretched. They were depression era people so the watches were never garbage because he didn't want something to last a short time and have to return it but they weren't super expensive.

Nowadays I have my phone like most people and if I'm not carrying that? Well. I just don't know what time it is now do I....:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19richie66

I have several Seiko dive watches. One was given to me as a graduation gift in 84. I wore it so much I couldn’t tell you how many straps I went through. It’s in the safe now. I have a pocket watch that my grandfather gave my dad when he turned 16, which he then gave me when I turned 16 and them I gave it to my son when he turned 16. 

F3B11DF7-52D1-474A-A461-E7BD12DA2D7E.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 7

71_Bronco

My daily driver. A Seiko 5 Dive Watch, AKA "The Franken-Monster", riding on a nylon NATO strap. Id like to upgrade to a leather NATO strap,but haven't gotten around to it.

20210113_135917.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I was given this “Bobo Bird” watch as a thank you for the work that went into prepping my back field for a wedding and reception.  I opted to keep the “remove me” protective covering on, knowing I’ll likely get it broken or scratched if I remove it.  I’m surprised how many people compliment me on my watch and I agree, it’s pretty nice.  I’ve never had the audacity to look up the cost, but I think it was the thought that counted more than the price... whether I’m wearing ten bucks or ten hundred bucks.

It is nice that it keeps the day of the week and the date as well as the time.

28F7F9B3-3BF7-4DEB-8F16-9911477EF969.jpeg

C15AFD39-0BC7-4DB1-924D-7B4ABFF4D74C.jpeg

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

I don't like battery operated watches. I buy my watches at flea markets all wind up , Here is the list Bulova Excellency , Waltham , Lord Elgin , and a Elgin . I have my Dad's Westclox Pocket Ben and a Mullingar Pewter. My wife has her father's Hamilton hidden away some where in her stuff . The problem with wind up watches is trying to find a watch maker to service them and finding a crystal.  Out of the list both pocket watches work and the Lord Elgin . 

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 4

BOB ELLISON

I wore a cheap $10 Timex battery operated watch for over 35 year when I work for Chrysler. I  wore it so I would  know what time to come back from lunch and what time to check out. I especially loved the little alarm on it that I could set to wake me up so I can go punch out to go home. After retiring in 2006 I never put that watch back on but I still have that little Timex and it still runs great if I change the battery. 

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Waltham

Waltham Massachusetts I assume. I used to deliver glass down in that area. Not sure at all if they're making watches there still and I assume that they are not. That factory is one of many in the New England area that is undergoing a renewing to office and living space. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I especially loved the little alarm on it that I could set to wake me up so I can go punch out to go home. 

So... what job allows you to wake up to go home?  Back seat tester?

• Haha 6

BOB ELLISON
9 minutes ago, pullstart said:

So... what job allows you to wake up to go home?  Back seat tester?

Tool crib auditor. I counted parts in our inventory and adjusted the count for all the parts we had. Any maintenance parts for the machine shop . Engine plant. I believe it was the second largest engine plant Chrysler had in North America. 

• Like 4

WHX??
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I stopped wearing wristwatches for about 10 years

Good thread Jack.

I stopped wearing one about 10 weeks ago... don't really know why. Just forget to put it on in the am I guess. Going back to tho ... tired of pulling a stupid phone out of my pocket. I had a lot of fancy diver ones in my day... Musta been a Navy/military  thing... and busted everyone of them like Squonk said ... now it's 10 dollar cheapies. I always favored a analog watch. My dad gave me one of his old railroad pocket watches but never used it. Too afraid I'd lose or break it. Like Ritchie in the safe now. 

Going to buy my self a new nice one when I retire and its going to have an alarm just to remind me of a afternoon nap! I won't care about the time when I am on my own anymore. :)

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sparky

Who remembers when these were all the rage? 
D73A75B8-7990-4CDB-8CD1-3B6CEF72168A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

c-series don

I do! Weren’t they all over Ebay years ago? 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sparky
3 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I do! Weren’t they all over Ebay years ago? 

Exactly! I think it was well over 15 years ago

Sparky

Grandfathers watch 

AF4F0E03-8708-4628-9208-9D6B0A451CA3.jpeg

• Excellent 3

WHX??

I had one exactly like that Sparky ... but not the the cool :wh: face....:sad:

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

a pocket watch

I have my great great grandfather's pocket watch that came from Germany.  My grandparents immigrated from Germany in the early 20s.  Around 1930 when Mom was 5 y.o. she and my Grandmother went to Germany to get the watch that had been handed down through a few generations already.  Alas... there are no children here to hand it down to!  I guess I need to find someone to will it to... 

I had it appraised about ten years ago for insurance purposes.  Watch guy told me the chain and fob were worth more than the watch itself!  (and I was floored, like Antiques Roadshow floored!)

I have the original case that it came in too.

Last I checked, the watchmaker was still in business at the same address about 150 years later!  

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

buckeyes

I love old Hamilton pocket watches. This is my 1951 950B. Still keeps good time. I love the way they sound.20210113_182220.jpg.3a6a988978b5221d22c9df03a6c27657.jpg20210113_182252.jpg.bc1d8d778f8235e7a03ee5e4840263d9.jpg

Edited by buckeyes
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, buckeyes said:

love the way they sound

How so?

Alarm?

Particular ticking?

WHX??

Very much like my dad's, Buckeye. ... his has a steam locomotive on it but don't know if it has railway special or a Hamilton  on it like that one. Don't think so. 

• Like 1

wh500special

I don’t own any watches of any interest.  Never been able to keep from

breaking them.  

Have these things though. Don’t remember where I got them. 

Steve

23036362-FFD0-4C18-8E26-8B4F94404AD1.jpeg

98F58443-BCC4-4320-B0B7-D9ADCB92C928.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

buckeyes

I guess I just enjoy the audible ticking. Maybe it's an age thing!

• Like 2

WHX??

Could be Buckeye....didn't I tell you not to get old ! 

Those are choice Steve :handgestures-thumbupright: