PeacemakerJack

Watches—are you kidding me?

Daddy Don

I have my grandfathers South Bend pocket watch. I have it repaired and they looked up when it was made. South Bend 16'S SN 902201 make in 1918.It is a railroad watch. He worked for the railroad and had to have it to keep the train on schedule. Tried to take a picture but could not get it to work. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, buckeyes said:

I guess I just enjoy the audible ticking. Maybe it's an age thing!

We have at least 5 wall clocks with audible ticks. 

When it's silent they sound as though they're playing off of one another. 

All you can hear is ticking. 

I love it!!!

• Like 2

WHX??

1918 vintage Daddy? Yep that's vintage. I would like to get a pic or valuation of my dad's railroad watch but it's in a safe deposit box that takes an act of Congress to get into with this covids stuff. He was an engineer on the railroads for 50 years and collected vintage time books. When you watch old movies and the conductor pulls out his old time piece that's really how it was. 

Like I said Josh good thread.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Yossarian

The Timex is what I wear every day.  I often need to check the time in a subtle way and that's easier on a watch than a phone.   The other watch was given to me by a late Uncle that tought at JFK High School in West Berlin before the wall fell. He would come back to the States with my aunt and cousin's every few years.  He got this watch and a similar one for my brother after the wall came down from some Polish "merchants" that would set up to sell contraband along the site of the wall until they were chased off every day.  

16105998641913787242759245257158.jpg

16105999125214895164175470910843.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

This is great stuff Guys.  So many cool memories of family and friends already shared here.  I have also enjoyed the pictures that you guys have included.  It is so awesome to see these long lasting timepieces and how they have affected you all.  

@Sparky it is interesting that you and a few others have mentioned Timex.  It seems like those and Casio’s have been go to work watches for many in years past.  

1CFDAC27-5BBE-4282-AC05-0A04D47B47B0.jpeg.278f711b0aac884389530fa43a91a6f6.jpeg

This is my aforementioned paternal grandpas work watch. The date doesn’t advance automatically anymore but it will keep time with a fresh battery—no problem.  Grandpa was wearing this watch the last year that I worked with him on the farm back in the summer of 1992.  Based on that, I’m guessing the watch to be at least 30 years old.  It had a metal “stretchy” band but it was already in pretty rough shape by the time I got it and so I replaced it with a leather band.  This thread has caused me to think about having the watch “refurbished” and a new metal band installed. Not because it is physically worth it but because of the sentimental aspect. 

Keep the great stories and pictures coming guys...😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tom2p

I have a number of Swatch watches - various styles - including plain, unique / neat, scuba, chronograph, skin (ultra thin), irony 

I've been wearing Swatch watches since the mid 80's

Also have an early / first gen TAG Heuer Formula 1 watch 

and of course - have a few Timex watches 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, tom2p said:

Swatch

I'll be durned.... There's a name I hadn't heard in a while. 

I had a (mostly?) plain white one back in mid to late 80s. 

Had the Vans shoes too!

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:Now that is a “picture” I’d like to see of you Eric😉😎🥴😂with some 1980’s clothes👍🏻

We bought Caleb a Swatch when we were in Switzerland a few years back.  It was one of the cheaper ones ($45) but still pretty cool stuff...

image.jpg.befe36cde61ada36cbef022b37820a79.jpg

I’m honestly surprised that he still has the original box for it!

• Like 1

D_Mac

I wear a wristwatch everyday. I have some nice ones and some cheap ones. That being said for Christmas I received a Smart Watch. Fitbit Versa 2. Realllllllll fancy. As well as telling time and date and weather, it tracts your steps, your heart rate, your sleep..... you name it, it tracts it. Can I say I am not a fan. My go to watch is an Invicta Subaqua Noma 3. Its a monster. The one thing I dont like about it is that is very heavy. You know when its on your wrist thats for sure. Most of the time I am happy wearing a cheap watch I buy off the internet. SMAEL.. it is a G Shock cloan. You can get them for like 14 bucks. I have several with different colored bands. I like big watches these are big and bold and for the price suit me fine.

20210114_150437.jpg

20210114_151457.jpg

20210114_151951.jpg

• Like 2

wh500special
17 hours ago, Yossarian said:

....  He got this watch and a similar one for my brother after the wall came down from some Polish "merchants" that would set up to sell contraband along the site of the wall until they were chased off every day.

16105999125214895164175470910843.jpg

Holy smokes, that looks like it would be the “official watch of Red Square.”

(Heaven help me if I have to explain my joke...)

steve

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

tom2p
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll be durned.... There's a name I hadn't heard in a while. 

I had a (mostly?) plain white one back in mid to late 80s. 

Had the Vans shoes too!

:lol:

I'm stuck in quicksand - have not moved on from swatch watches and vans  lol

have not worn the TAG Heuer  Formula 1 watch in years 

when the battery died and required replacement - a jeweler recommended the watch be sent back to the manufacturer for a replacement battery (and 'tune up') - and it was then parked

it looks like the first watch below - or the red part is black - can't recall  

the watch I wear most often is a swatch scuba known as 'Shamu'  - second watch below 

C9C1BCA3-7FF5-42DB-AE3D-70F20FE34645.jpeg

46B4E0CE-0407-42EF-9456-BF9188FDFE88.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, tom2p said:

I'm stuck in quicksand - have not moved on from swatch watches and vans

I'm ok with that. 

My go-to mountain bike is a 1989 Shogun trailbreaker 1. 

Bought it new. 

• Like 2

D_Mac
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm ok with that. 

My go-to mountain bike is a 1989 Shogun trailbreaker 1. 

Bought it new. 

My go to is a 1950's Murray Chain Drive tricycle !!

20210114_194935.jpg

20210114_195007.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2