Greentored

Custom fabricated parts- any desire?

ebinmaine

Personally I think it's a great idea. 

Can you make me a set of Big tie rods with a metric female thread?

I'm thinking around 17 or 19mm. 

• Like 3

Greentored
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Can you make me a set of Big tie rods with a metric female thread?

I'm thinking around 17 or 19mm. 

Sure could, but I'd better check the price of taps first, as I dont have many big metric RH/LHs:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I’ll second that motion...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Sure could, but I'd better check the price of taps first, as I dont have many big metric RH/LHs:handgestures-thumbupright:

I'll check the size.....

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Sounds  like a great idea to me.Some people here have a metal lathe,milling machine,and welder and have the skill to use them,but not everyone.I really like those beefy looking tie-rods.They look much stronger than any you could buy from a big manufacturer.Good luck with your endeavors.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
30 minutes ago, Greentored said:

parts1.jpg

How much? I need a beefed up set for my new project? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, OldWorkHorse said:

Get some 7/16" double male heim joints. 

7/8" rod. 

You'll have a set like Cinnamon. 

• Like 2

Greentored
2 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

I think I could do these for about 40/pr. These particular ones were using the original tie rods that fell apart, drilled and tapped for 3/8" steel heim ends.

Depending on the price of the 7/16 like @ebinmaine mentioned, that wouldnt be a problem either. Cold rolled steel bar stock of any size is available right here in town and affordable.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

OldWorkHorse

Yes I got the idea from him I'd like bigger then factory but if possible the joint fit into the stock wheel horse mount holes. Just a more beefed up bar. I'm 100% down if can be done. I've been trying to peice them together myself if sum1 can make them for me I'm beyond happy. Dont even need to he painted if u were doing that

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
46 minutes ago, Greentored said:

tie rods are just a quick example

Just a few thoughts, you already have competition on tie rods so you'd have to match or better the price point or add value to your product if you were charging more than the competition.  Heavier duty would be a plus I think, but for most of us the ones currently being offered are adequate strength.  

By the way, for TRE's we don't really need RH/LH threading so you can keep your part stock and tooling costs down.  It's too simple to just disconnect one end and a twist or two to adjust one end only.  And probably to never be done again.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

TRE's we don't really need RH/LH threading so you can keep your part stock and tooling costs down.  It's too simple to just disconnect one end and a twist or two to adjust one end only.  And probably to never be done again

Agreed. The couple sets I've had built in the past I only did right hand on both ends.

• Like 2

roadapples

Heim joints should have grease zerks...

• Like 3

Goofey

I think you should tell us some items and a price. Then you will quickly see if there is a market at that price level. Or make a poll like what could these things cost?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Heim joints should have grease zerks...

I agree with that as a general manner of principle but the ones I got do not have any way to be greased and claim that they are permanently greased and sealed.

I was and still am skeptical of that to be completely honest but I checked them just two or three weeks ago and after a season and a half of harsh dirty usage they are just as tight now as they were when new. And also very inexpensive.

• Like 3

Greentored
46 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Yes I got the idea from him I'd like bigger then factory but if possible the joint fit into the stock wheel horse mount holes. Just a more beefed up bar. I'm 100% down if can be done. I've been trying to peice them together myself if sum1 can make them for me I'm beyond happy. Dont even need to he painted if u were doing that

Let me do some heim pricing, pretty sure theyre available as 7/16 with a 3/8 'hole' so no need to enlarge your spindles. Shoot me a PM and we can take it there for final details:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Oh, I think there is always room for another guy to build things. But as others has said, it need to be better, cheaper, or different from the other guys. I have thought about it myself for a little extra tractor money, just don't know what it would be. 

I see lots of guys doing motor swaps on here and maybe there is something along those lines that would be needed. 

Randy

• Like 1

Greentored

This is exactly the info I'm looking for fellas!   Heavier duty would be a good way to set TREs apart. Maybe offer a 'basic' set at once price, and equipped with zerks as an upgrade. This would all be based on heim prices as they vary wildly.

Glad to hear no real need to RH/LH- easy enough to do, but these aren't like karts or cars ha, pretty much set em and go, but nice to have a little adjustment for manufacturing tolerances and 40-60 year old spindles that may have been tweaked a time or 6 over their lifetime.

Tie rod ends would only be one of the things i'd offer. Theres a whole lot more than can be done- things that others don't offer and/or are available but through the roof, like deck center double pulleys that are well over 100 bucks. I have 'built' them to exact specs and could duplicate those for about half the price.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

peter lena

GREENTORED, think its a good idea, been using heim joints for years , with no issues at all , my reason for starting, to change things over was the constant awkward set up on linkage, since going over to heims its been nothing but smooth and easy. never greased my joints , maybe light aerosol lubricant , that's it.  have them on tie rods , pto foward lever , clutch linkage, snow plow linkage , hope people get you going on it , its worth it , pete  

• Like 1

Goofey

I could wish for spindle/axle repair kits.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

Really don't know how to categorize this, mods feel free to relocate if necessary.

To say I am having a blast with this 'addiction' is putting it lightly. I have already started quite the collection of used parts and am making a little side cash to support the habit. My current 'play money' side gig balancing cranks is slowing down as the owner is getting up there and decided to downsize the business.

With that being said, I am seriously considering offering custom fabricated parts 'by the order' and wanted some opinions on whether folks think there would be a desire/market for this or not. If this were to 'pan out', I would plan to pull the trigger- couple this with the used parts sales, pay dues to be in the vendor section, and advertise/market as a true, part time 'DBA'.

These tie rods are just a quick example of something I would offer, and believe I could do it at an affordable price point.

Looking for input here fellas, good, bad or otherwise. Thanks!:handgestures-thumbupright:

parts1.jpg

I see a market for these not only for WHs.  

• Like 4

lynnmor

Any good business plan will take in to consideration all kinds of things.  You must consider all the "wasted" time buying raw materials, taking product to the shipping point, bookkeeping, paperwork, cleaning and a hundred other things.  You need to consider other expenses such as tooling, machinery, heating, air conditioning, electricity and insurance.  You need to come up with a shop rate to cover everything and it will be north of $50 per hour or you will be doing it for no profit.  Just look what the hourly rate is for even a basic auto repair shop, there is a reason for that.  I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I want people to succeed and you can if you go into this with your eyes wide open.  I have been in the tool & die business for 36 years and held a full time job for 21 years before that.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Stepney

On the subject of heim joints, Gramps made up a set of joints and put them on the front of our (USED HARD!!!) 1968 Electro, sometime around 1985..

No grease fittings and still smooth and tight almost 40 years later. 

I concur.. wouldn't be opposed to some heavier duty units for a few I'll be building at some point. Good luck either way.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Skipper

Can you make axle shafts for the rear ends? then I think you have a thing right there :-)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Can you make axle shafts for the rear ends? then I think you have a thing right there :-)

That dude has a point. Hubs too.  

• Like 1