Greentored

Custom fabricated parts- any desire?

lynnmor

WEDM would cut the profile just fine, but remember that the face of it still needs to be cut on a lathe while not having a secure way of holding it without a special fixture.

WVHillbilly520H
27 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

WEDM would cut the profile just fine, but remember that the face of it still needs to be cut on a lathe while not having a secure way of holding it without a special fixture.

Could the lathe work be done prior to EDM ? Honestly I i don't know exactly what they look like never had any Onans opened up beyond the valve covers or flywheel removed.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

A waterjet can't make this part as precise as its needs to be, but a wire EDM can is just slow Video won't load sorry.

Screenshot_20210218-100219.png

This makes me curious about how the original plastic flyball spacers were made and of what material. Injection molding with with the flash on non-critical surfaces?

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Handy Don said:

This makes me curious about how the original plastic flyball spacers were made and of what material. Injection molding with with the flash on non-critical surfaces?

I did a Google search on Onan flyball spacers and the older "B" series style looked to be "cast" metal of some sort, 3/4 areas looked to be machined the ball carriers (fingers if you will),  the ID/OD and faces machined flat. Obviously if I had 1 in my hand it would be easier to discern and copy/fabricate and I suppose weight would also play a factor as well.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Could the lathe work be done prior to EDM ? Honestly I i don't know exactly what they look like never had any Onans opened up beyond the valve covers or flywheel removed.

Usually a WEDM house will want the top surface to be flat for best control of size and flushing.

I believe that the plastic spacers were molded, I know that there is a peculiar pattern on the bore where it mounts, perhaps it was sized after it was molded.

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, lynnmor said:

Usually a WEDM house will want the top surface to be flat for best control of size and flushing.

I believe that the plastic spacers were molded, I know that there is a peculiar pattern on the bore where it mounts, perhaps it was sized after it was molded.

I have run EDM at the machine shop I worked in for 13 years and some parts were very irregular in shape before "wiring" we would fabricate "jigs" to hold them for that very purpose, also the head could be angled for "bevel" cuts in 1 axis much like a Bridgeport.   Basically the same version I ran... 

Screenshot_20210218-123050.png

bc.gold

Some one already making a replacement spacer, this one is held on by four screws.

spacer.png

• Excellent 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

Some one already making a replacement spacer, this one is held on by four screws.

The hole in the center appears to be much smaller, or the notches aren't as deep allowing space for the screw holes.  Can you get the rest of the story?

Bill D

I believe that is for a Onan CCK.  Model.  It won't fit the B/P series.

bc.gold
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

The hole in the center appears to be much smaller, or the notches aren't as deep allowing space for the screw holes.  Can you get the rest of the story?

Simple fix drill a hole half into the spacer the other half into the cam hub then stake it with a dowel.

Edited by bcgold
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have run EDM at the machine shop I worked in for 13 years and some parts were very irregular in shape before "wiring" we would fabricate "jigs" to hold them for that very purpose, also the head could be angled for "bevel" cuts in 1 axis much like a Bridgeport.   Basically the same version I ran... 

Screenshot_20210218-123050.png

Okay, I just watched that video...just kept nodding my head and smiling...:lol::lol:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Horse Newbie said:

Okay, I just watched that video...jist kept nodding my head and smiling...:lol::lol:

Its okay, I haven't run 1 for 3 years, I might need a refresher as well. The CNC mill I use to run i could "draw" an engraving program on the computer upload to the mill and that's how I did my wheel weight caps. 

IMAG2384.jpg

IMAG1760.jpg

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
30 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Its okay, I haven't run 1 for 3 years, I might need a refresher as well. The CNC mill I use to run i could "draw" an engraving program on the computer upload to the mill and that's how I did my wheel weight caps. 

IMAG2384.jpg

IMAG1760.jpg

I have not done any precision machine work for probably 40 years...

Used to "run" a 13 inch South Bend lathe in 11th grade machine shop in high school similar to this one...

Made this ball peen hammer...has a knurled handle, hollowed out handle for storage of I don't know what, and a screw-in cap.

I guess the shop teacher came up with a project to allow us to use different capabilities of the lathe.

Got my proportions off on the head a little, but not bad for a 16-17 year old kid.

Screenshot_20210218-191735.png

20210218_191309.jpg

20210218_191031.jpg

20210218_191304.jpg

20210218_190904.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H
5 hours ago, bcgold said:

spacer.png

That looks like "Micarta", a phenolic resin and other fibrous materials highly compressed together mainly used for a non-conductive insulators or knife handles, the outside is very slick and hard but chips easily (see the lighter color showing around the edges, especially when sawing or machining) and doesn't hold up well submerged in wet environments from my experiences with it at the factory in worked in for 22 years, I wouldn't want that in my pressure lubed engine IMHO, UMHW or another type of hard nylon/plastic material would be a much better choice for this application.

Screenshot_20210218-195417.png

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

That looks like "Micarta", a phenolic resin and other fibrous materials highly compressed together mainly used for a non-conductive insulators or knife handles, the outside is very slick and hard but chips easily (see the lighter color showing around the edges, especially when sawing or machining) and doesn't hold up well submerged in wet environments from my experiences with it at the factory in worked in for 22 years, I wouldn't want that in my pressure lubed engine IMHO, UMHW or another type of hard nylon/plastic material would be a much better choice for this application.

Screenshot_20210218-195417.png

Selling like hot cakes at $100.00 each on fleabay.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
18 minutes ago, bcgold said:

I suppose once a few of those disenagrate and clogs up some oil passages they won't sell so fast.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Horse Newbie, if I had the machines and material there are quite a few parts I could make on conventional (lathes/mills/ grinders) or CNC (mill/EDM), haven't learned CNC lathes yet, the last 2 places I worked at wasn't too keen on the Apprenticeship program as much as just learn "our" processes and do just as much as a card carrying "journeyman" without the pay, so the most senior toolmaker took me under his wing and taught me quite a bit (but wasn't a fan of learning CNC) said the best way to learn was bring in my own projects and figure out how to make them from scratch than just making parts for the factory with blueprints.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Horse Newbie
43 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

wasn't too keen on the Apprenticeship program as much as just learn "our" processes and do just as much as a card carrying "journeyman" without the pay,

When I was installing HVAC systems I told my boss I would like to get into the service side of the industry...he never put me with a service mechanic so I could apprentice ...guess he figured I was making him more money by installing instead of learning...I left shortly after...

• Sad 2

lynnmor
9 hours ago, bcgold said:

Apparently the item you found on eBay is a genuine Onan part for a different model, note the screw holes and 12 notches rather than 10.  There is no reason to believe they are selling at all.

• Thanks 1

Greentored

All this 'stuff' is very intriguing and right up my alley, as I am a firm believer that EVERYTHING can be improved upon, especially the mass produced crap in todays 'throwaway' society.

Anyone want to spot me a million so I can acquire a bunch of these machines and make a  couple dozen 75.00 parts?:lol:

• Haha 2

Greentored
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

When I was installing HVAC systems I told my boss I would like to get into the service side of the industry...he never put me with a service mechanic so I could apprentice ...guess he figured I was making him more money by installing instead of learning...I left shortly after...

I let my 4 mechanics and body shop guys 'apprentice across enemy lines' all the time, and encourage them to learn as much as they can, inside and outside their normal skill set. Instead of worrying about them taking over, I hope one day they do and then fire me, so I can go do something I enjoy like I once did here:lol:

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Greentored said:

spot me a million

I'll send it right over after I sell all of my MySpace stocks

Hey check your PM when you get a minute....

• Haha 3

bc.gold

After sleeping on it, I'm confident this flyball spider will be easy to reproduce.

spacer.png

lynnmor
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

After sleeping on it, I'm confident this flyball spider will be easy to reproduce.

I agree, I have a CNC mill and a lathe, the issue is whether or not it would be worth my time.  There are a number of items for Wheel Horse tractors that I could make, but after running the numbers and guessing the quantities most are not worth the trouble.

bc.gold
11 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I agree, I have a CNC mill and a lathe, the issue is whether or not it would be worth my time.  There are a number of items for Wheel Horse tractors that I could make, but after running the numbers and guessing the quantities most are not worth the trouble.

For me it was the challenge which much to my surprise turned out to be not much of a challenge , for the time being going to keep the manufacturing process classified as top secret.

Loose lips, sink ships.