Greentored

Custom fabricated parts- any desire?

DennisThornton

I've owned one and I'm partners in two businesses and although all three had good times I'm done with one, getting out of one and the third is on pause.  Doesn't mean that I didn't make money, enjoy or learn from all of them, but the pay per hour sometimes wasn't all that good and there's a lot of risk.  But a little fabbing could be fun and add a few bucks without a large risk and who knows, might lead to something else.  One of my businesses was a great product but required too much inventory for us and our vendors.  Too many options including sizes. 

I keep trying to think how to make a universal tie rod...

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton

I think vehicle axles are case hardened and heat treated.  Are WH axles?

I'm gathering up some truck/car axles for tines to make a tined/fork for my FEL because they are so darned strong and tough.  I've seen some WH fractures and I suspect they too are specially heat treated.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I think vehicle axles are case hardened and heat treated.  Are WH axles?

I'm gathering up some truck/car axles for tines to make a tined/fork for my FEL because they are so darned strong and tough.  I've seen some WH fractures and I suspect they too are specially heat treated.

I believe I've read that Wheelhorse axles are hardened at the very least in the area of the wheel bearing

Jeff-C175

I would entertain purchasing a well designed nd reasonably priced for/rev foot pedal for my c175.

• Like 3

lynnmor
35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I believe I've read that Wheelhorse axles are hardened at the very least in the area of the wheel bearing

Correct, they are induction hardened where the needle bearings contact.  If one were to duplicate the original the steel would be expensive, the spline cutting would take some time and the cylindrical grinding would be expensive.

• Excellent 1

Back on a horse

Yes, hubs are a great idea.  Perhaps drive pulleys as they seem rather scarce from what I have read?  Also maybe seat adaptors so that we can have a better choice of seats?  It would just be 2 steel bars with slots that could accommodate different bolt patterns.  I think black talon makes a set specifically for their seats. 

Agri supply has a closed cell foam seat that is molded and seems popular on here, but it won't fit my WH so I am going to have to modify the seat plate.

Stack muffler braces?

Edited by Back on a horse
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wheelhorse#1

I been looking for a set for tie rods. Flea bay has them for 53.00 w/free shipping.

This is what they offer .I wouldn’t mind spending a littler more if were better quality.

26E28EBA-B435-4B99-B05E-598E6D2B2079.png

• Like 2

Greentored
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Can you make axle shafts for the rear ends? then I think you have a thing right there :-)

Thats something im not experienced or equipped to do....

@ebinmaine  steel hubs, absolutely can.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Greentored
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Any good business plan will take in to consideration all kinds of things.  You must consider all the "wasted" time buying raw materials, taking product to the shipping point, bookkeeping, paperwork, cleaning and a hundred other things.  You need to consider other expenses such as tooling, machinery, heating, air conditioning, electricity and insurance.  You need to come up with a shop rate to cover everything and it will be north of $50 per hour or you will be doing it for no profit.  Just look what the hourly rate is for even a basic auto repair shop, there is a reason for that.  I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I want people to succeed and you can if you go into this with your eyes wide open.  I have been in the tool & die business for 36 years and held a full time job for 21 years before that.  

Already own the business, have a shop, the tooling and equipment, accounts set up to purchase raw goods, shipping accounts, and I run the office and handle the paperwork. All this would require is some time and perhaps push a broom a little more often :lol:

But you're right, I'm not going to stand in front of a lathe or mill on my time off to make 4.00/hr ha.

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

I been looking for a set for tie rods. Flea bay has them for 53.00 w/free shipping.

This is what they offer .I wouldn’t mind spending a littler more if were better quality.

26E28EBA-B435-4B99-B05E-598E6D2B2079.png

Unless those are made and marketed by our own Lowell I can't advise them. 

I bought a set before I knew about Wheelhorsepartsandmore.com. 

They have very limited use and are showing wear already. 

• Like 2

Lee1977
5 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Yes I got the idea from him I'd like bigger then factory but if possible the joint fit into the stock wheel horse mount holes. Just a more beefed up bar. I'm 100% down if can be done. I've been trying to peice them together myself if sum1 can make them for me I'm beyond happy. Dont even need to he painted if u were doing that

These older tractors are usually worn so they need drilled out anyway. I went 1/2" on my heims joints and bushed the eye down on them.  

The bigger heims joints are run $10 or $11 each. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

Thats something im not experienced or equipped to do....

@ebinmaine  steel hubs, absolutely can.

That would be a good one to put some thought into and post pricing. 

Good used are 40 or 50 bucks. 

New? I don't even know....

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Correct, they are induction hardened where the needle bearings contact.  If one were to duplicate the original the steel would be expensive, the spline cutting would take some time and the cylindrical grinding would be expensive.

If you can even find shops that still have cylindrical grinders I.D./O.D. or even decent tool post grinding (both of which I was profecient at while in the machine shop), seems like anymore CNC lathes and ceramic inserts are the way most job shops want machine parts. Then even if one were to use "Thompson" shafting for the axles then the splines would be "hard" part either carbide cutters on a horizontal mill and dividing head , EDM, or even a horizontal grinder? but very time consuming.

• Like 1

WHX??

I have not read the whole thread yet Green but personally I'd like to see you eat a  couple of pounds of AL and crap me out a connecting rod and some some pistons for a Onan for an afordable price....just sayin... I hate to be picky but  how you  on digesting billet?!?! .....:lol: I do enjoy your take on the all American free enterprise tho! 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Bill D

How about steel spindle housings for our mower decks that won't rot out the way the aluminum ones do?  Also, inner PTO bearing races for 1" crankshafts, although I think there is a member here making those.  Bill

• Thanks 1

76c12091520h
1 hour ago, Bill D said:

How about steel spindle housings for our mower decks that won't rot out the way the aluminum ones do?  Also, inner PTO bearing races for 1" crankshafts, although I think there is a member here making those.  Bill

We have blueprints on hand (measured off of NOS parts) for almost all of the common/popular deck spindle housings and spindle shafts from the late 60's thru the mid 2000's decks, all of the PTO shafts and inner races, all of the double center pulleys, outer deck pulleys ,deck idler bars, tie rod assemblies, PTO brake assemblies, etc..... We've made samples of them just to say we did but until new/Nos/used supply runs out there just isn't enough demand to justify making them, because you are literally working for $4.00-$5.00 an hour.

20200414_195806[1].jpg

20200808_185026[1].jpg

20201219_130316[1].jpg

20201218_124436[1].jpg

20201220_161113[1].jpg

20201219_185450[1].jpg

20201219_184557[1].jpg

20200425_002159[1].jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

oliver2-44

Axles first the 3 piece transmission used on the Suburban and 58 59 RJ are not hardened and are fairly simple to make. Throttle and choke levers for the suburban also are getting pricy. 
mid you could come up with a way to Repair the 3rd gear on the cluster gear there would be a demand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greentored

Really appreciate all the input fellas!

My 'axle building' skills don't go much beyond cutting a keyway in a piece of round stock ha, and probably would not be getting into making cables, ends, small pieces, etc... as @76c12091520h noted, that is a lot of work and very little ROI, and not much demand.

The tie rods looks like a good starting point, as I could spend a Saturday morning here and whip up a couple dozen and have ready to go- those are something I would feel safe making and keeping in stock.

@Bill D Steel deck spindle housings could probably be done. I'll tear one of my old ones apart and take a closer look as to how 'involved' it would be.

Upon some quick research, I think I could offer cold rolled tie rods with 7/16 steel, greaseable ends for about 50 bucks shipped. Dont hold me to that just yet ha, but that's looking pretty promising.

Also hope to be able to do one off "can you build this?" type stuff.....

Stay tuned.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

A few years back I made a few things for myself ( front bumper/weight hanger, snow/dozer blade skids rear axle tiller/plow hitch ect) and made a couple extra while I was at it,  sold them to a couple members on here, I didn't profit $$$ wise but did profit from "experience" using the different machines and methods involved, wish I was still in a machine shop but I still have those skills should I return to that vocation, I still ponder the idea of a SmittyBuilt or Grizzly Mill/Lathe combo for small parts and other things I could make for myself or to help others when needed.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Mufflers, stacks maybe?

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Never having seen it done, I'm not sure if it's possible, but I've always imagined a twin stack that exited both side of the hood would look/soundpretty cool.20210112_073949.jpg.468cd6f35ca9cbcc5966e9997aeb012d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Never having seen it done, I'm not sure if it's possible, but I've always imagined a twin stack that exited both side of the hood would look/soundpretty cool.

I got a 582 that might have that happen.....

AMC RULES

20201113_102752.jpg.d01fc78021348e51b0cd49c1a5c45b21.jpgAlways a high demand for these things too...price point will be the key though.20201028_160508.jpg.7165e37bef5b2beee0634e94ab6877bb.jpg

20201028_155503.jpg.4907654db68d1a36ef6fce00a9e799a8.jpg

20201028_155446.jpg.ed5af16c38f3d0811d16896ce23a5383.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Lee1977
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That would be a good one to put some thought into and post pricing. 

Good used are 40 or 50 bucks. 

New? I don't even know....

New a little over $100 .

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

76c12091520h
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

20201113_102752.jpg.d01fc78021348e51b0cd49c1a5c45b21.jpgAlways a high demand for these things too...price point will be the key though.20201028_160508.jpg.7165e37bef5b2beee0634e94ab6877bb.jpg

20201028_155503.jpg.4907654db68d1a36ef6fce00a9e799a8.jpg

20201028_155446.jpg.ed5af16c38f3d0811d16896ce23a5383.jpg

Reproductions of those are on the way, 3d printed in METAL by Eston Hoffman,  the same guy that is doing the small Whorse replicas. He's doing the larger hard to find one's first (like on a 701 etc), then the more common smaller ones. 

• Like 5