David414

muffler noise

Jeff-C175
51 minutes ago, pullstart said:

loud

And snorting flames!  What causes that?  Timing off? Bad valves?

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, RJR49 said:

I tried a spliter and two muffin mufflers. Didn't do any good. I also had a 1.75HP air cooled outboard motor. The exhaust was underwater. It wasn't as loud as a 10HP Kohler but still loud. My 3HP Merc is water cooled with an underwater exhaust don't need sound suppressors  with it. Im guessing the guys saying the noise is mechanical are right.  If anyone has a solution I would love to hear it.

It's an inherent property of most air cooled engines to be loud. As previously stated the very fins that do the radiant cooling also transfer much of the sound from the internals of the engine to the outside. Heat and sound waves are obviously different but travel in a similar manner. 

The exhaust output can be very literally SILENT and the engine will still produce plenty of noise. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

And snorting flames!  What causes that?  Timing off? Bad valves?

I’m not sure.  It runs good, just makes a ton of noise... but it’s essentially 10” of pipe out the head.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I downloaded a meter app this evening. Let's see what the (((WHAAAT??))) Level is around here.  

• Like 2

Handy Don

Measure it next to your ear when in the seat? Right and left?

Started up the P218 the other day and remembered pretty fast why I'd always had on ear protection whenever I ran it before. It's a lovely sound but LOUD!

SylvanLakeWH

My 10 hp Kohler with the standard muffler measured avg. 89.7 at my head while sitting on tractor...

• Like 1

ebinmaine

As a point of information...

Levels below 70 dBA are generally considered safe. Any sound at or above 85 dBA is more likely to damage your hearing over time. Researchers have found that people who are exposed over long periods of time to noise levels at 85 dBA or higher are at a much greater risk for hearing loss.May 28, 2019

www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov

Sitting in my car for a few minutes during lunch break here and I turned my 2014 Kia Sorento stereo all the way as high as it would go. The reading was hovering right around 79 or 80.

• Like 1

8ntruck
On 1/12/2021 at 7:02 AM, AHS said:

Just a can muffler.  I’m actually thinking about running the exhaust under the frame and thinking about one of those stack type mufflers. Sometime! Kinda like a Ford 8N.

700D5AA9-4F3C-49A3-9E7F-BA6B434E2C7E.jpeg

I noticed that after plowing with my 8n, the hearing in my right ear was worse than my left ear for a short while.  I spent a lot of time looking back over my right shoulder keeping the plow in the furrow, and the exhaust pipe ended just behind the right axle housing.

Tinnitus?  Yep, got it.  The background ringing varies, but is there most of the time. 

In 1978, when on my first day as a real engineer, I was given a medical exam by the company doctor.  We got to the hearing test, and he seemed to run it a couple of times.  After the test, the doctor asked me what I had been doing over the previous weekend.  I told him that we had gone to the Popular Hot Rodding drag race and were watching top fuel cars run.  We had pit side seats on the starting line.  No hearing protection, either.  'That explains it', the doc says.  Temporary hearing loss.

The original muffler on my 14-8 no name seems to do OK.  I think the deck makes more noise than the exhaust when mowing.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

seven

WHAT

• Haha 2

Maxwell-8
On 1/13/2021 at 1:54 AM, ebinmaine said:

It's an inherent property of most air cooled engines to be loud. As previously stated the very fins that do the radiant cooling also transfer much of the sound from the internals of the engine to the outside. Heat and sound waves are obviously different but travel in a similar manner. 

The exhaust output can be very literally SILENT and the engine will still produce plenty of noise. 

I also think Kohler are louder, because the cast iron is harder and therefore let's more noise come true. That's from my experience. 

I do got to say, i have no motor that runs as smooth as my kohler. When i kill it, it keeps on turning for like 10 turns or so. GREAT engines!

• Like 3

oliver2-44

I’ve noticed gas golf carts are very quiet. Also that they have very large pancake style mufflers Has anyone cut open a golf cart muffler to see if there’s anything special in it.  Are they quieter Jude to the extra large muffler?

• Like 1

lynnmor
19 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I do got to say, i have no motor that runs as smooth as my kohler. When i kill it, it keeps on turning for like 10 turns or so. GREAT engines!

I do hope you are slowing the engine to minimum speed before turning it off.  Any gasoline entering after the key is off will not be burned.

Maxwell-8
Just now, lynnmor said:

I do hope you are slowing the engine to minimum speed before turning it off.  Any gasoline entering after the key is off will not be burned.

I do sire, i do :handgestures-thumbup: i do also shut the fuel before killing