Tom kite

new carburetor

Tom kite
5 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

It looks like a pre-emissions carb (no external accelerator pump) and that the welch plug is in place (red arrow).

But I'm wondering what's going on where the idle jet screw is supposed to be (blue arrow). The image isn't clear but it looks like corrosion and an exposed jet seat or a broken off needle screw.

263287678_Kiteidlescrew.jpg.2450433267743bc35304004e2596ccb9.jpg

frost ,there a set screw its not broken 

Tom kite

that best pic I can get with taking it off sir.

richmondred01

Define “new carb”

also take a photo of the this area.

We need these numbers to move forward.

94249182-75D5-4CBB-A557-423BB52EBAC8.jpeg

Tom kite
2 minutes ago, Tom kite said:

frost ,there a set screw its not broken 

chould be adjusting screw under the Welch plug.

Handy Don
12 minutes ago, Tom kite said:

chould be adjusting screw under the Welch plug.

A jet looks a lot like a set screw.  Usually brass with slots for a flat-blade screwdriver to insert or remove. The difference is a cone-shaped cavity in the middle with a small hole in the center that goes all the way through.

Compare to the old carb in the same spot and you can see the needle valve adjusting knob.

It looks here, from the very indistinct picture, that you have a partially-installed jet without the adjusting valve needle in a corroded passageway

Have you had this out of the carb shown in the pictures? You mentioned you removed a set screw.

I just cannot tell what is going on here but if it is damaged, not properly inserted, clogged behind the jet with metal filings or crud or corrosion, and/or missing the needle valve, it is just not going to run right and may be very difficult to repair.

Tom kite
16 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

MAYBE...  You have a leak(s) at the intake manifold to cyl block gasket?  If so, it'll get too much air for combustion and using full choke would help cure that. When running, or while cranking it to start, spray some starting fluid onto the gasket(s).  If it revs up, bad gasket seal.     

no leaks ty.

Tom kite

i check    Spraying Intake manifold in was ok .

Tom kite
22 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

A jet looks a lot like a set screw.  Usually brass with slots for a flat-blade screwdriver to insert or remove. The difference is a cone-shaped cavity in the middle with a small hole in the center that goes all the way through.

Compare to the old carb in the same spot and you can see the needle valve adjusting knob.

It looks here, from the very indistinct picture, that you have a partially-installed jet without the adjusting valve needle in a corroded passageway

Have you had this out of the carb shown in the pictures? You mentioned you removed a set screw.

I just cannot tell what is going on here but if it is damaged, not properly inserted, clogged behind the jet with metal filings or crud or corrosion, and/or missing the needle valve, it is just not going to run right and may be very difficult to repair.

I also spark the intake manifold it good.

lynnmor

The late model "emissions"  carburetors had a welch plug over the idle mixture screw, it looks like your cheap junk Chinese carburetor is prepared for a plug if required.

Looking at your original carburetor, I can see that little effort was used to clean it up and return it to duty.  Disassemble it, remove the weich plug and clean it right.  You will need a new 3/8" welch when reassembling.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

richmondred01
8 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The late model "emissions"  carburetors had a welch plug over the idle mixture screw, it looks like your cheap junk Chinese carburetor is prepared for a plug if required.

Looking at your original carburetor, I can see that little effort was used to clean it up and return it to duty.  Disassemble it, remove the weich plug and clean it right.  You will need a new 3/8" welch when reassembling.

looks like a knock off that hasn’t gotten the small pox vaccine.

oh wait that makes sense it’s from China. 

I’ve got a new correct p220 Nikki carb if interested PM me. 

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1

China carbs are for the most part junk and a waste of $ I found out the hard way.

Handy Don

Any progress on the carb, Tom?