Achto

My 4.7 Liter Adverture

Ed Kennell

See the source image

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

With all the trials and tribulations, you've come out on the positive side. :text-bravo:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Good to read, that it comes finally to that good end.

On older Car’s or Trucks troubles can be mostly things you don‘t have in plan. 

if you be in a need for the Car / Truck, the Work can be sometimes a pain,

but after it‘s fixed and some time is passing, the story turns to good and you forget all the troubles and problems you had.

Independent of any financial Status,

i still preferr to run the Older Cars still as long as there be worth to fix them.

In my opinion that is more sustainable than allway‘s buy new.

👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:woohoo:                Should be good for another fifteen years of service.                  :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Nice work Dan!  I learned option number 1 from reading a book by a Cheese Head... “Truck- A Love Story” by Michael Perry.  Is that a common saying over there?

What did you drive in the meantime?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

You are one talented man, but I think you already know that. Very persistent and meticulous. Amazing you actually have time for an adult beverage every now and then.  :thumbs:  :clap:   Great job Dan

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

squonk

I haven't been inside a Dodge engine in like 20 years. I can't believe they still used those crappy lifters and roller followers. They ffailed so much on the 4 bangers we bought them in bulk. Import engines had the rod and main bearings all different sizes too. You had to read a stamping INSIDE the engine before you could order new ones. I worked on a Toyota where each rod was a different size and there were 2 different main sizes. Reman cranks were the same way.

And nothing will ruin a cat quicker than a bunch of coolant run thru it.

• Thanks 1

JoeM

Good job.....

Nothing worse to me than do overs! Just reading about those heads pissed me off. How sad! 

Could you just imagine getting this done at a garage? Might as well replaced the truck. 

I had a 4.7 and it was a good runner. That is until one of the lifters collapsed. Dodge garage said head needed to come off. I ask to talk to a mechanic not the service guy. The mechanic told me they are just going by Dodge job specification and he told me how he would fix it if it were his.  Bought a new lifter and made a tool to collapse the OHC valve spring. Replaced the lifter and it ran good and had 150k when I replaced it.  

• Like 2

Achto
33 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Is that a common saying over there?

What did you drive in the meantime?

Option 1 ( jack up the radiator cap & put a new truck under it ) is a saying that I learned from my dad years ago. Not sure where it originated.

As for wheels in the mean time, Gretel is working from home so I was able to drive her Jeep. It's a nice vehicle but it sure feels good to have my truck back. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Mikey the Monkey

Great work Dan, you are a true 1 man army

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

It's amazing, and good to hear, you got fairly quick with shipping on parts. Especially with holidays and covid stuff all thrown in. Sent some stuff to other members weeks ago and they still haven't gotten it. I would have went with plan A but I am nowhere near the mechanic and engine builder you are! 

Glad to know you got the oil pan leak fixed too, wasn't sure if I should just skip the seal coating on my driveway this year or just start my own oil field... :D

You should have a rig all set now to haul tractors to shows, and speaking of tractors hopefully now that this project and the holidays are over time to get down to some tractor projects! :banana-wrench:I kinda miss my shop time at mom's and red paint boogers! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Skwerl58

Great work! I know some good techs that might would have thrown a hammer or wrench in the midst of this rebuild. It is frustrating to buy new reman and it be junk. Again great work!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
11 hours ago, Achto said:

Thanks for reading through my trials & tribulations

Utterly amazed at your skill, persistence, commitment to saving that machine. I wouldn't have any idea how to even start a project like that or where to look for problems.  Hat's off to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JCM
3 hours ago, JoeM said:

Good job.....

Nothing worse to me than do overs! Just reading about those heads pissed me off.  

How true,no matter what trade you are working in.    :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

VERY nice work Dan!

I could have taken that apart for sure but it would have never run again......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
12 hours ago, JoeM said:

Bought a new lifter and made a tool to collapse the OHC valve spring. Replaced the lifter and it ran good and had 150k when I replaced it

The tool to remove the rocker arms was the only tool that I had to add to my arsenal. This tool hooks under the cam shaft & allows you to push the valve down so that you can remove the rocker arm. This tool can also be used on Ford engines if you install the other foot that came with it.

IMG_20210101_135714998.jpg.26d8eb8ece20161c580104a62ce1d4be.jpg

I watched a few You Tube videos to get some tips and determine what special tools may be needed. I saw that there was a tool to hold the timing chains to the idle gear for installation.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-522902-Timing-Chain-Holder/dp/B007TMYD82/ref=asc_df_B007TMYD82/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312192385809&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7858178172464351646&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=901

Yet another video showed me how to accomplish the exact same job with two rubber bands. Costing less than 10cents.:thumbs2:

Edited by Achto

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice work. Getting ready to tear in to the 5.7 in my old blue Chevy in the coming days. Hoping to get lucky and only have to do intake and head gaskets. but time will only tell what I'll find when I tear into her.

• Excellent 4

Achto
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I could have taken that apart for sure but it would have never run again......

:lol: 

I look at all engines the same way. They need to go suck, squish, bang, blow. Just need to figure out how some engineer made your particular engine perform those 4 functions.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

tom2p

internal combustion engine is an amazing thing - as are the people that can wrench them !

nice job !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
23 hours ago, Achto said:

I watched a few You Tube videos

I tried do that when I was going to take up brain surgeoning.... figured I'd  havta have a bit more than the sixth grade....decided best stick to soda jerkin Jethro....:lol:

22 hours ago, Achto said:

:lol: 

They need to go suck, squish, bang, blow

Why was that stuck in my head when I was havin the Onan issues!?!?! :D

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

when I was going to take up brain surgeoning

Hey I got a fair set o' X-acto knives. 

• Haha 2

JoeM
On 1/4/2021 at 7:37 PM, Achto said:

The tool to remove the rocker arms was the only tool that I had to add to my arsenal. Think my homemade one started out as a ball joint tool 

• Excellent 1

Achto
23 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I tried do that when I was going to take up brain surgeoning.... figured I'd  havta have a bit more than the sixth grade

Don't feel bad Jim! I never made it through gynecology school, but I've always been willing to take a look. :hide::ROTF:

• Haha 5

953 nut
On 1/4/2021 at 8:25 AM, Achto said:

Option 1 ( jack up the radiator cap & put a new truck under it ) is a saying that I learned from my dad years ago. Not sure where it originated.

That saying is so old it was around when I was a kid!             :occasion-cake:             Been a lot of candles bit the dust since then.        :ychain:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1