Achto

My 4.7 Liter Adverture

WHX??
22 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That saying is so old it was around when I was a kid!             :occasion-cake:             Been a lot of candles bit the dust since then.        :ychain:

Correct usage Richard is "that saying is as old as the crust in my shorts" :lol:

Can be readily adapted to "that  tractor or that truck" or any thing else old.

'Nother nice thing is it can be adapted to " Dan's motor is about as worn out as the crust in my shorts". 

Glad to see Dan finally laundered his shorts! 

Good old sayings just never get  old! 

Edited by WHX24
speeling & gramma
  • Haha 1

953 nut
22 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

as old as the crust in my shorts"

:angry-tappingfoot:                                image.jpeg.129395f98c92a1687bb040bc6c69228b.jpeg                                   image.png.c663ab75d12c3811d991183b6bc04b05.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Achto

A little happy report on this post - 17 days & 1000 miles and life seems good so far. Tonight I dumped the oil & filter. Oil looked good with no "Lucky Oil" metallic flecks in it. Replaced the filter & but 7 new Qts of Mobil 1 in. I plan to run 3000 miles on this oil change and then go back to my 5000 mile cycle of oil changes.

Back story on the "Lucky Oil" comment - I know a guy who has well over 200k on a Caravan. He pulled the dip stick one day to check his oil & I could see metallic flecks on the dip stick. I asked "When is the last time that you changed that?" His reply was "Change it ?!?! That's my Lucky Oil, you can't buy oil with gold flecks in it like this".

:eusa-doh:I had no reply.  I'm still not sure if he was kidding or not.

And yes, he's still driving it.:unsure:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Good to hear....guessing  you running syn? 

20 minutes ago, Achto said:

That's my Lucky Oil, you can't buy oil with gold flecks in it like this".

Tell the guy to dump a bottle of that schnapps with the gold flakes in it! :lol:

• Haha 4

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

guessing  you running syn? 

Yep Mobil 1 synthetic. This can be used for a break in oil.

Amsoil on the other hand can not be used for a break in oil.

WHX??
10 minutes ago, Achto said:

Amsoil on the other hand can not be used for a break in oil.

Why is that?

I don't think I have ever used Amsoil products.... let's too many moths out the wallet I guess. :)

• Haha 1

Achto
14 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I don't think I have ever used Amsoil products.... let's too many moths out the wallet I guess. :)

Amsoil will definitely clean your wallet out that's for sure. As for a break in oil well, it's actually too slippery and will not let the rings wear in.

True story: I had a customer at the bike shop that ran Amsoil in his Evo bagger from 5k on. I did a base gasket job on it at 115k and the cylinders showed almost 0 wear. The cross hatch looked like it was put in that day. I did not slip the pistons out of the jugs to do the base gaskets so there was no need to change the rings. Last time I saw the bike it had 150k on it with the original pistons & rings. 

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Hard to believe but lost me Dan... by base gaskets do you mean the jug to case ones? How is that posiible without lifting the jugs or cutting the base gasket? 

Achto
11 hours ago, WHX24 said:

by base gaskets do you mean the jug to case ones? How is that posiible without lifting the jugs or cutting the base gasket? 

Yes the jug to case gasket. You just gotta have talent.:thumbs2:

After unbolting the head, you slide the jug up until you can access the wrist pin on the piston. Then you remove the wrist pin and leave the piston in the jug. This way you do not disturb the ring placement and there is no reason to replace them. This is if the cylinder did not look bad. Saved the customer some coin and they did not have to go through the hassle of breaking in new rings. On the the other hand, if you pulled the jug up too far and slipped the piston out then the cylinder had to be re-scuffed and new rings installed at a minimum.

Evo's were well known for base gasket leaks, some with less than 5k miles on them. I can't even begin to count how many bikes I used this procedure on. 

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Achto said:

slide the jug up until you can access the wrist pin on the piston.

Ahhh yes I see now! :handgestures-thumbupright: I woulda never though of that in a zillion years! 

• Like 1