Bruce 1960

Family RJ-58

wallfish

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Glad you found us.

What a nice example and if that paint is original, it's certainly worth more to keep it original.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Bruce 1960

No, its been repainted a couple times over its life, hench the paint on the serial tag, but I hope I can carefully clean it off, or hope that when they stamped it it maybe in metal below.

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Bruce.          Nice RJ and family history to go with it.         Looks like several interesting projects in the background.

• Like 2

Bruce 1960
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Bruce.          Nice RJ and family history to go with it.         Looks like several interesting projects in the background.

Not sure what " Project" you are referring to, but there are a few in the works!!! And now I just decided to take this one on too!! I always have things to work on in the garage, keeps me outa trouble!!!

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS:.  That sure is a nice piece of history you have there.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

What a great time capsule you have there! More than six decades in the same family and so many memories with you and your son.    :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-coolphotos:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:!

I wonder if a gentle wet sand job would bring back the original paint, with some satin clear or the like to seal the deal?

• Like 2

dovetail53

I see there's a Walk Away in the background. Do you have all the parts to it? Would be nice to see a few photos if it.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Thats a sweet little tractor you got there, and a great family history to go with it. Looks like you have the factory belt guard and heat shield too.

Could post in the wanted section here for a pair of fenders, never know what people have kicking around in their spare parts pile.

• Like 1

Bruce 1960
21 hours ago, dovetail53 said:

I see there's a Walk Away in the background. Do you have all the parts to it? Would be nice to see a few photos if it.

You tell me, I'm not sure what this is. I bought it years ago to get the kohler engine off it for the recoil I'm now using on my wheel horse. When my neighbor started to restore a speedex he had I drug this in the garage, to clean up and try to find out what it is and maybe a year of manufacture. What can you tell me about it. Thanks in advance.

speedex.jpeg

speedex3.jpeg

speedex2.jpeg

speedex1.jpeg

speedex4.jpeg

Edited by Bruce 1960

dovetail53

well, obviously it's a Speedex. the wheel hubs are almost identical to the ones on my 1953 Pond Walk-Away. that's why I referenced a Walk-Away. My guess is that it is from around the early 1950s.

I'm attaching a few pictures of my 1951 WT Speedex. It however has a Briggs and Stratton 8R6 engine instead of the Kohler. there are a number of similarities between yours and mine, so I'd think it is definitely from that time period. also attached is a photo ot the 1953 Walk-away with the wheel hub that look very similar to yours.

Speedex 006.JPG

Speedex 001.JPG

Speedex 005.JPG

Speedex 003.JPG

1953 Walkaway and 1959 RJ 003.JPG

dovetail53

I'm also guessing that your Speedex is equipped with it's own gear reduction box...... the Kohler probably doesn't have the gear reduction motor like my Briggs.

Edited by dovetail53

Bruce 1960
6 hours ago, dovetail53 said:

well, obviously it's a Speedex. the wheel hubs are almost identical to the ones on my 1953 Pond Walk-Away. that's why I referenced a Walk-Away. My guess is that it is from around the early 1950s.

I'm attaching a few pictures of my 1951 WT Speedex. It however has a Briggs and Stratton 8R6 engine instead of the Kohler. there are a number of similarities between yours and mine, so I'd think it is definitely from that time period. also attached is a photo ot the 1953 Walk-away with the wheel hub that look very similar to yours.

Speedex 006.JPG

Speedex 001.JPG

Speedex 005.JPG

Speedex 003.JPG

1953 Walkaway and 1959 RJ 003.JPG

Thanks for the help!! I didn't ask here, thinking this forum was for wheelhorse only. I guess maybe I better think of getting that back up and working too. See just as in one of my earlier posts I said I always seem to have lots of projects!!! Thanks again!!!

• Like 1

953 nut

The similarity between Speedx and Pond walk behinds is not an accident, Elmer Pod and his brother Harold both worked for Shaw building two wheeled garden tractors prior to launching their own brands.

Wheel Horse started in Elmer Pond's garage in 1946. Mr. Pond started building two-wheel garden tractors using surplus parts. Within ten years, his business had become very successful and began to build a full line of lawn and garden tractors, in addition to riding lawn mowers.

This is a story that starts out way before the brand name "Pond" or "Wheel Horse." It starts out with the name "Shaw." Elmer Pond and his associates, Glen Hielman and Harold Pond worked for many years for Shaw making tractors. These tractors were produced out of motorcycle and automotive parts and were made for the bigger gardens and small orchards.

After a while the three men decided to build their own tractor and go into business for themselves. Harold Pond had worked for Shaw since the 1920’s and decided that he would make a tractor known as the Speedx Model "B," and Pond garden tractor in 1938, which would be one of the first four-, wheeled garden tractors. Glen Hielman would make the "Garden Master" in 1952.

After World War II, Elmer Pond took the advantage, as did the other two men, to make a smaller lawn tractor that could do the work of a garden tractor and a lawn tractor. People who had a small garden didn’t need or want a big tractor for the small jobs they had to do, so they depended on these men for their garden needs.

Another reason smaller garden tractors became very popular was that these tractors were rather inexpensive, so even the typical family could own one of these tractor and maintain it for a low cost.

Many of these tractors were made from small air-cooled engines, drive systems, axles, wheels, tires, and other various parts that could be found. The framework was made from pieces of angle or channel iron.

Elmer Pond started production in 1946 in his two-car garage in South Bend, Indiana. These tractors were made from crude parts that could be found. He produced a two-wheeled tractor that was self-propelled, which was sold under the Pond name. Pond made these for nine years, known as the "Walk- Away's " because the design of the tractor.

• Like 3

Bruce 1960

Well started tear down today. Found out it's serial no: 13310 ? or is it 17310?20210109_094823.jpg.475cbd634bc0b222fdcd3a5a2a317d8a.jpg RJ-58. Transmisson has number 3501 N. I don't remember if I used new case or donor when I replaced gears and bearings yrs ago, but can you guys make out this date? Thanks.

20210109_100032.jpg

20210109_094823.jpg

wheelhorse7.jpeg

Edited by Bruce 1960
rotate pic

Frankenstein 58

Can’t help with the trans number but the serial number is 17310. Good luck

• Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Top of your trans, right side of the shifter, you'll find a boss with your transmissions mfg date.

20210110_085831.jpg.5ebee37bb1bb42b44ed842478fbf89b5.jpg

20210110_085641.jpg.9d91b3c6a4d87d79223ce4aea15e08a4.jpg

Screenshot_20210110-084742_Gallery.jpg.273b35737b082cd9bd58537b02c190ed.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Thanks 1

Bruce 1960

AMC RULES, After posting yesterday, I cleaned more dirt off and found other no, D14-9 . So does this mean April 14 1959? or is it Dec 14 1959? either way I now know I used the donor transmission case. But that's fine I'm sure there are many others with replacement transmissions. I know I junked all the other parts years ago, so original case is long gone.

I

wheelhorse8.jpeg

Frankenstein 58

Apri 14 1959. Now that’s the serial number 

• Thanks 1

dovetail53

it means April 14 1959

• Thanks 1

AMC RULES

It's just a number...

on your 1958 tractor.

• Thanks 1

Frankenstein 58

Not serial number of tractor but date of trans casting. Didn’t mean to confuse the two. 

• Thanks 1

Bruce 1960

Well I started to tear this old girl apart, to give it a good rebuild. In all the years I have been around this thing, I have always thought it steered hard, and didn't turn real sharp. Well since I never had a exploded view of all parts, I never knew what the steering was supposed to consist of. This thing sheared off the pin on the steering rod just about every time it was run. It was common practice to have 16 penny nails in the tool box under seat for fast replacement. Well when I started to tear it apart,  I found out someone years ago, welded the pin to the tie rod, so both sides were welded, this meant pin could not rotate, so being a machinist I removed weld and made a new pin, put back together and it turns lock to lock!! So now I'm making all new parts that are wore out. This thing will drive like a caddy when I get done!! I'm having a ball!! 

20210116_144418.jpg

20210116_144357.jpg

20210118_190914.jpg

Edited by Bruce 1960
O
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1