JCM

Animal tracks in the woods

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Me thinks you might be on crack there tho EB. Wolves would rather eat 'yoties than breed with them...... maybe escapees from pen raised stock? 

That is entirely possible. 

Depending on who you ask they're either NON existent or in wonderful breeding colonies. 

I've seen what were identified as coyote/wolf mixes both in Massachusetts and Maine. 

Instead of brownish fur tones they are white with grey tones. ..... If you take info from certain people. 

Quote:

Coyote wolf hybrids, or coywolves, have evolved over a relatively short period of time and are now found in areas in eastern North America stretching from southern Canada into parts of the Midwest and south into Virginia, but they're really flourishing in parts of Maine. 

Another interesting read:

https://theconversation.com/yes-eastern-coyotes-are-hybrids-but-the-coywolf-is-not-a-thing-50368

• Thanks 1

JCM

This was taken this morning at 7.30   3' from the steps of the cabin. I have a real good idea what made that track. He or She was in a hurry for sure as the next track was 6 or 7' in line with this one. Expert opinions welcome.

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

lynnmor
32 minutes ago, JCM said:

This was taken this morning at 7.30   3' from the steps of the cabin. I have a real good idea what made that track. He or She was in a hurry for sure as the next track was 6 or 7' in line with this one. Expert opinions welcome.

IMG_0636.JPG

Lynx maybe?  I don't know the distance they leap, that does sound a bit much for them.

R0010029.JPG.3abaeab1ea47543ef59e881daf68a6a5.JPG

• Like 1

ebinmaine

What's got me is there's two together and then two separate. 

Bunny rabbits do that on a regular basis but those tracks are awful big for a rabbit and I can't see them clearly on my phone. 

Ed Kennell

Snowshoe hare.

• Like 1

JCM

We do have many Snowshoe hare tracks all over the property, but I believe @lynnmor was headed in the right direction. I think Bobcat is the culprit ? We get pictures of them all the time on the game camera and have seen remnants of grouse feathers all over the snow during winters. I'm thinking there are Lynx in Northern Maine but not this far south ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JCM said:

We do have many Snowshoe hare tracks all over the property, but I believe @lynnmor was headed in the right direction. I think Bobcat is the culprit ? We get pictures of them all the time on the game camera and have seen remnants of grouse feathers all over the snow during winters. I'm thinking there are Lynx in Northern Maine but not this far south ?

I believe that is correct. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

The Lynx I photographed were in northern Maine, there was a third one just off the trail in those dark bushes.  There were numerous wabbit tracks right there so that was likely their lunch.  I don't know where your cabin is located, your signature says southern Maine.  From talking to the locals, there is some that believe that their territory has been expanding southward since nearly all were in Canada not that many years ago.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

From talking to the locals, there is some that believe that their territory has been expanding southward

I'd agree with the possibility. 

Trina and I have seen a mountain lion so lynx are certainly realistic. 

WHX??

You guys in Maine  should be crawling with bobcats your DNR is managing them right although  the big river may hamper that some. I know they do a bang up job with the moose. 

Here  regulations, kill permits and such help a lot.. Most of ours are kick outs from the MI UP which are kickouts from our Canadanian  brethren. Not exactly crawling with them here but a well regulated permit system still allows us a 'cat hunt. 

I've come across more than a few Bob's out in the wild but very fleeting with few photo ops but always very cool. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4

Pullstart

I took a gander across the field today looking for deer life.  The only tracks I found were from rabbits and mice.  And a man.  The good thing about snow being so cold... it doesn’t stick on you when you’re knee deep in it!

E2462A3B-C98C-4321-9053-0E1A53E3F352.jpeg

DD9DA768-B342-4E35-B4E9-70A64AF7CD9B.jpeg

CC5D9D5E-DA28-41E5-B6BF-FA7AA47B82EF.jpeg

7405161E-C127-452D-AAB0-7F06DB31C1AA.jpeg

22CC7A1A-67C2-4C27-BE4F-742F4865BD7B.jpeg

FE8223CC-21B0-4DA3-8E51-9B54EC5898A6.jpeg

93E7B725-73B3-461B-8A22-CBDCE7A9D6A4.jpeg

1A701859-8CF1-4A07-A360-20646A14006A.jpeg

7546F71D-EBF5-4219-9B91-8EBBE6561447.jpeg

CFF165EB-DDCB-4F6C-8CC1-F8E910F58D42.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Great pics...thanks.      Looks like snowshoes are in order.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

I took a gander across the field today looking for deer life.  The only tracks I found were from rabbits and mice.  And a man.  The good thing about snow being so cold... it doesn’t stick on you when you’re knee deep in it!

DD9DA768-B342-4E35-B4E9-70A64AF7CD9B.jpeg

Sasquatch!!!

• Haha 3

JCM

So Eric, care to let us know where you were when you viewed that Mountain Lion. You may want to carry more than a walking stick if those are around you out hiking. One of those behind you on a trail and you would be in BIG trouble.     :scared-eek: 

Ed Kennell
6 minutes ago, JCM said:

you would be in BIG trouble

I may be wrong, but I believe Big Bears are above scrawny pumas in the food chain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I may be wrong, but I believe Big Bears are above scrawny pumas in the food chain.

I'd like to agree. 

But this Large Bear would not like to test the theory either. 

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, JCM said:

So Eric, care to let us know where you were when you viewed that Mountain Lion. You may want to carry more than a walking stick if those are around you out hiking. One of those behind you on a trail and you would be in BIG trouble.     :scared-eek: 

The one Trina and I saw together was in Thomaston Maine. 3 years ago??

Each if us has seen one separately in the distant past as well. 

I saw one in Wendell Massachusetts about 1997 while riding in a car with another "outdoor" minded person or I would never have believed my own eyes. 

Each of us turned to the other and was like "Did you?" "Was that a.."? 

Uhh.... Yeah....

She has had a few run-ins with wildlife when younger. 

Around the age of 12 a lion was watching her from the bushes and growling. Trina just slowly backed off and eventually they lost contact with each other.  

Her family used to watch moose deer and bears going through the fields of the farm regularly. 

She was 7, maybe 8?... sitting in a (berry patch?) and a moose walked up, stood over the top of her.... And sneezed on her little head. 

Naaayuhstyy. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

JCM

You do know Maine Fish & Wildlife say they are not here, I'm sure you and I do not believe that as countless others do also.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JCM said:

You do know Maine Fish & Wildlife say they are not here, I'm sure you and I do not believe that as countless others do also.

The biological term they use is "Extirpated". 

transitive verb. 1a : to destroy completely : wipe out.

The term also qualifies for elk, caribou, wolves, timber rattlers. 

I found what I am 99% sure was a timber rattler a few years ago here on the mountain. 

I contacted IFW because one of the neighbors said it would be a good idea to let them know. 

Guy I spoke to was great. 

He said there ARE rattlers, wolves and mountain lions in the state as occasional travelers. No breeding population so they don't have to list them. 

P. S. ... We've heard a wolf howl up north. Incredibly beautiful sound. 

But...

Also a tad scary to know they're around. 

• Sad 1

JCM

Rattlers ?    I will have to remember that next time I am sitting on the ground in November Deer hunting. Quick funny story. 4  years ago I was sitting on the ground with my back up against a tree and fell asleep about 300 yards from the cabin overlooking a nice spot where the Deer frequent and heard a noise right next to me, startled I looked up and it was my neighbor, all 6' 3'' of him with a rifle staring at me with my 06 on my lap and I said you scared the S$%T out of me , his answer was I was about to steal your rifle. True story.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, JCM said:

Rattlers ?    I will have to remember that next time I am sitting on the ground in November Deer hunting. Quick funny story. 4  years ago I was sitting on the ground with my back up against a tree and fell asleep about 300 yards from the cabin overlooking a nice spot where the Deer frequent and heard a noise right next to me, startled I looked up and it was my neighbor, all 6' 3'' of him with a rifle staring at me with my 06 on my lap and I said you scared the S$%T out of me , his answer was I was about to steal your rifle. True story.

Neighbors like that should be introduced to the backhoe. 

😁

• Haha 1

JCM

One of the best neighbors I could ask for, he is Paul Bunyans twin brother.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, JCM said:

One of the best neighbors I could ask for, he is Paul Bunyans twin brother.

Monsieur Bunyon. One of my childhood heroes. 

And still someone I "look up to". 

:hide:

And of course Babe the big blue ox. 

Love oxen. 

• Haha 1

JCM

Checked the trail cam this morning and appears to be the resident bobcat and by looking at the size of him the snowshoe hare diet is working. The date was 1 day off, reset it.

IMAG0481.JPG

IMAG0426.JPG

IMAG0475.JPG

• Like 2