slim67

Front wheel weights.... who has them ?

slim67

I wanted to see who is running front wheel weights on their machines especially for winter. What do you have?

DennisThornton
15 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

I have a set of Wheel Horse weights on my C-161. I have a 54 inch snow blade on there and it never flinches so I assume they are doing some good.  My dad had the whole set so I put them on when I got the tractor from him. I think they’re pretty pricey today, especially if you have to have them shipped. I also have inside weights on the rears and the rear tires are fluid filled. I’ve never encountered a snowfall it couldn’t handle easily from a traction standpoint.B91B7CF5-759D-4085-94E6-5C9A2D995872.jpeg.7cac2c4f3b22e98cba0e6091496f3139.jpeg

Ags and tri-ribs with weights!  Awesome!  I've wondered if that might be a great combo, though I'd think I would need chains as well. 

I'm a huge fan of chains!  My NH TC35 4wd is a different beast with chains!  I just got some tri-ribs but I also what to try Wallfish's roller chains on the front too.  Love your rear tires!  What are they?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Got a set on the plow mule. 

20190921_192712.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

cschannuth
6 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Ags and tri-ribs with weights!  Awesome!  I've wondered if that might be a great combo, though I'd think I would need chains as well. 

I'm a huge fan of chains!  My NH TC35 4wd is a different beast with chains!  I just got some tri-ribs but I also what to try Wallfish's roller chains on the front too.  Love your rear tires!  What are they?

Before I paved my driveway I used chains. Once I put down the concrete in sections I actually found the chains would cause slippage and scarring. I took them off and never have looked back. I used to plow snow with my old 520 and it had just fluid in the rear tires on turf savers and it did great as well. I think my tires are Carlyle but I would have to go past the shed to see for sure. It’s been a while since I put those on there.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk
7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

20190921_192712.jpg

Nice shin grabbers you got there! :helmet:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Before I paved my driveway I used chains. Once I put down the concrete in sections I actually found the chains would cause slippage and scarring. I took them off and never have looked back. I used to plow snow with my old 520 and it had just fluid in the rear tires on turf savers and it did great as well. I think my tires are Carlyle but I would have to go past the shed to see for sure. It’s been a while since I put those on there.

One of the very fine benefits of this forum is not only the vast amount of knowledge, but the depth of different experiences AND the ability to ask and explain and fine tune are invaluable!  I've pushed snow for decades but my driveway is crushed stone and I can see where your concrete would be different and that chains would perform differently on a hard smooth surface as well!  My chains dig in EVEN in frozen hard packed gravel, but they would stop at a hard concrete surface and then I suppose have less surface area to grab!  I'm still going to say studs or chains for ice, but perhaps not for blacktop or concrete.   Thank you!

I think that everyday that I learn something is a good day!  I'm concerned that I might be forgetting more than I learning though and how long can I sustain that before...  KEEP THE GREAT IDEAS COMING!

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

slim67
54 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

I have a set of Wheel Horse weights on my C-161. I have a 54 inch snow blade on there and it never flinches so I assume they are doing some good.  My dad had the whole set so I put them on when I got the tractor from him. I think they’re pretty pricey today, especially if you have to have them shipped. I also have inside weights on the rears and the rear tires are fluid filled. I’ve never encountered a snowfall it couldn’t handle easily from a traction standpoint.B91B7CF5-759D-4085-94E6-5C9A2D995872.jpeg.7cac2c4f3b22e98cba0e6091496f3139.jpeg

Thats loaded down nicely!

33 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

20190921_192712.jpg

I like it. Are those Gravely weights on the front? Do you know the weight?

• Excellent 2

DennisThornton

I can't even begin to have a single set per rear and you have DUAL weights on the rear? 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

The 315-8 set up for tilling... 

20200405_134119.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

slim67
32 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

One of the very fine benefits of this forum is not only the vast amount of knowledge, but the depth of different experiences AND the ability to ask and explain and fine tune are invaluable!  I've pushed snow for decades but my driveway is crushed stone and I can see where your concrete would be different and that chains would perform differently on a hard smooth surface as well!  My chains dig in EVEN in frozen hard packed gravel, but they would stop at a hard concrete surface and then I suppose have less surface area to grab!  I'm still going to say studs or chains for ice, but perhaps not for blacktop or concrete.   Thank you!

I think that everyday that I learn something is a good day!  I'm concerned that I might be forgetting more than I learning though and how long can I sustain that before...  KEEP THE GREAT IDEAS COMING!

My driveway is asphalt but needs a topping in the future so Im not concerned about chains as I run a set on my tractor. I always have  and so did my Dad but when I find a nice set of wider gas I will stop with chains especially after getting my driveway done.

slim67
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The 315-8 set up for tilling... 

20200405_134119.jpg

Those fronts look like MTD weights. Thats what im putting on mine.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, slim67 said:

My driveway is asphalt but needs a topping in the future so Im not concerned about chains as I run a set on my tractor. I always have  and so did my Dad but when I find a nice set of wider gas I will stop with chains especially after getting my driveway done.

Never used them but I've read good about the rubber "chains".

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Those fronts look like MTD weights. Thats what im putting on mine.

Could have been in paid the man brought them home painted them the figured out only 1 bolt hole aligned up :eusa-think: :angry-banghead:... But they never came loose during tilling season.

SylvanLakeWH

For the reasons noted above regarding surface damage, I plow 3 flat driveways (1 concrete, 2 asphalt) with my C 105 with no weights or chains. No issues...

:twocents-02cents:

66DF9633-1C92-4DB4-A3AA-D4A6717827AE.jpeg

49EBF606-5852-4687-89B0-DAFDCF42B9FD.jpeg

B4853262-70F3-41A9-9AC1-FC6C7EAB6E67.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

slim67
7 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

For the reasons noted above regarding surface damage, I plow 3 flat driveways (1 concrete, 2 asphalt) with my C 105 with no weights or chains. No issues...

:twocents-02cents:

66DF9633-1C92-4DB4-A3AA-D4A6717827AE.jpeg

49EBF606-5852-4687-89B0-DAFDCF42B9FD.jpeg

B4853262-70F3-41A9-9AC1-FC6C7EAB6E67.jpeg

That's incredible. you must have the touch

• Thanks 1

slim67
10 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Could have been in paid the man brought them home painted them the figured out only 1 bolt hole aligned up :eusa-think: :angry-banghead:... But they never came loose during tilling season.

How far off was the other hole? It looks like they give you 3 options of which two looked like they should work.

WVHillbilly520H
5 minutes ago, slim67 said:

How far off was the other hole? It looks like they give you 3 options of which two looked like they should work.

My pair maybe 1/8- 3/16"  and with a hand drill in just couldn't correct it enough maybe a drill press or milling machine and an endmill (I miss my old machine shop days)

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

SylvanLakeWH
9 minutes ago, slim67 said:

That's incredible. you must have the touch

Well... thanks...! I’ve been told I’m “touched”... B)

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Well... thanks...! I’ve been told I’m “touched”... B)

Me too bud. Me too. 

@slim67 I run oversized tires all around on the Cinnamon Horse. 

The fronts are 20 x 8 x 8 turfs with over 5 gallons of Rimguard each. Between the fluid (110 lbs+), bigger wheels, and larger tires I've probably added 120 lbs or more to the front of the tractor. 

On Trina's Pig Pen 867 I'm going to add a piece or 2 of steel weight in front of the frame. 

Each piece is 40 and 45lbs respectively. 

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

Thats loaded down nicely!

I like it. Are those Gravely weights on the front? Do you know the weight?

Thanks....I have no idea Slim... picked them up at a swap meet... thinkin Lane Ranger might have sold them to me ... or did I get the back ones from him???... I CRS. 

1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I can't even begin to have a single set per rear and you have DUAL weights on the rear? 

They are supposed to be inside wheel weights but just a burly one from going over the hub. Some day I'll peel them off and machine them a bit. Plow day was not waiting for me so threw the land side on outside. Lots of us plow dogs run dual weights. Hardcore furrow rats even run three or more plus loaded tires.  Furrow side only has one. 

My wallet was as thick as Billy's I would have some suitcases off the front too. :lol:

20190921_153006.jpg

20190921_143737.jpg

20190921_192647.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 5

rjg854

I have 2 sets, front and rear. One set for the plow tractor and the other on the blower tractor.20180114_115833.jpg.97daa2aa644beea295490c6344c97c8e.jpg20200207_141609-1.jpg.f58b8a5e73279d35cde0b31a68432f06.jpg

• Like 4

JoeM

The chains on the FEL mark the concrete just moving around. Tire weights and box weight 600, plus tractor and operator. Marks disappear pretty much by spring. The rest are gone when I use the rotating pressure head to clean.

I used 1-1/2" front wheel weights on my old C145 and it does seem to give an odd sensation when steering. It helps on the slope to keep front end from sliding. C145HFrontWheelWeightwChain1.jpg.fbbc785469167b9d64974b2a14c36632.jpg

• Like 5

Achto
8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

.I have no idea Slim... picked them up at a swap meet

Are those the weights that you bought off from Joel?? Think they were on the back of a Simple City score that he got.

WHX??

No I don't think so.... the only weights he gave me were the cutouts from the water jet. Those are ear marked for the front of the super C. Thinkin I got a set from Massey Jason???? 

Edited by WHX24