slim67

Front wheel weights.... who has them ?

slim67
53 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Me too bud. Me too. 

@slim67 I run oversized tires all around on the Cinnamon Horse. 

The fronts are 20 x 8 x 8 turfs with over 5 gallons of Rimguard each. Between the fluid (110 lbs+), bigger wheels, and larger tires I've probably added 120 lbs or more to the front of the tractor. 

On Trina's Pig Pen 867 I'm going to add a piece or 2 of steel weight in front of the frame. 

Each piece is 40 and 45lbs respectively. 

Cinnamon is the one in your avatar right? The "skidder"?

• Like 1

midpack

I found out a set of Craftsman plastic rear weights (for 18" rims I think) fit nicely in 8" front rims on my C 175 snowthrower machine 

Got a set of steel ones on my plow tractor too.

Best bang for the buck is the chain  wrapped around the rire

• Like 3

slim67
28 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Thanks....I have no idea Slim... picked them up at a swap meet... thinkin Lane Ranger might have sold them to me ... or did I get the back ones from him???... I CRS. 

They are supposed to be inside wheel weights but just a burly one from going over the hub. Some day I'll peel them off and machine them a bit. Plow day was not waiting for me so threw the land side on outside. Lots of us plow dogs run dual weights. Hardcore furrow rats even run three or more plus loaded tires.  Furrow side only has one. 

My wallet was as thick as Billy's I would have some suitcases off the front too. :lol:

20190921_153006.jpg

20190921_143737.jpg

20190921_192647.jpg

That's a beauty right there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
25 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

My wallet was as thick as Billy's I would have some suitcases off the front too. :lol:

IDK about all that (I have 3 teenagers) but I did find me a couple more plus this cool TORO job ... 

20201023_170256_HDR.jpg

20201023_170303_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Lol Jeffrey... suitcases ...even the mini ones..... around here a guy would think they were cast in gold! :)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

slim67

I have a 9 inch diameter by 4-1/2 inch thick piece of steel I got off my neighbors curb on rubbish day. It's one of those things I had to have. Anyone seeing me load it would think I'm nuts but hey that's what we do for tractors, right? I am looking into how and where I could take it and cut it either in half or fourths. I figured it's about 80 lbs based on a calculator from a local steel company. Plasma cutter? Bandsaw? If I could do that then I would have enough for my other tractors.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
8 minutes ago, slim67 said:

I have a 9 inch diameter by 4-1/2 inch thick piece of steel I got off my neighbors curb on rubbish day. It's one of those things I had to have. Anyone seeing me load it would think I'm nuts but hey that's what we do for tractors, right? I am looking into how and where I could take it and cut it either in half or fourths. I figured it's about 80 lbs based on a calculator from a local steel company. Plasma cutter? Bandsaw? If I could do that then I would have enough for my other tractors.

Bandsaw... With a sharp new blade.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
10 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Lol Jeffrey... suitcases ...even the mini ones..... around here a guy would think they were cast in gold! :)

The last 2 was $75 and the TORO was $20.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Cinnamon is the one in your avatar right? The "skidder"?

Yessir

:handgestures-thumbup:

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

the TORO was $20

What??!!??

That's $150+ around here EASY

• Sad 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What??!!??

That's $150+ around here EASY

If it makes you feel any better i got lost finding the PO when I went to pick it up :hide:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

If it makes you feel any better i got lost finding the PO when I went to pick it up :hide:

Alright alright I'll let the price slide...

• Haha 3

slim67
9 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Bandsaw... With a sharp new blade.

I was hoping someone with experience would suggest that.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C-85

I have some weights on the back and as a result, the front got light and I had trouble steering it, so I put these on the front.  In addition to the front wheel weights, I put on the weight carrier, which doesn't connect to the plow and really helped! The snow hog tires also helped!

C-85

1837136534_DBpicoffiPod1-20-17511.JPG.e056bfba20990743d981e7dcd9ac2551.JPG:)

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
13 hours ago, C-85 said:

I have some weights on the back and as a result, the front got light and I had trouble steering it, so I put these on the front.  In addition to the front wheel weights, I put on the weight carrier, which doesn't connect to the plow and really helped! The snow hog tires also helped!

C-85

With the front weight how far can you open the hood ?

C-85

C-85

Thanks for the question about opening the hood!  It won't open far, so I have to take some weights off and it's pole to open it fully.  The steel pole (which is a cut off front rotor shaft from an old Ariens snowblower) which is just sitting in a hole in the carrier, so it easily comes out.

C-85

• Like 2

slim67

Well I went a half hour east of me and got these for 40 bucks. I was fortunate the people I got them from were good enough to to hold them for me. WV Hillbilly was correct when he said his didn't line up as the wheel hole spacing is 5 inches and the weights holes are 4-1/2 inches. I marked the spots with paint on the end of a 3/8 bolt, center punched and drilled them to 25/64. After checking fit, I wiped them down with gun cleaner and painted them Regal red. Each one is a hair over 20 lbs so I can't wait to see if they help. I also added a pic of the 9 inch diameter by 4-1/2 thick steel I'm trying to get cut.

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, slim67 said:

Well I went a half hour east of me and got these for 40 bucks. I was fortunate the people I got them from were good enough to to hold them for me. WV Hillbilly was correct when he said his didn't line up as the wheel hole spacing is 5 inches and the weights holes are 4-1/2 inches. I marked the spots with paint on the end of a 3/8 bolt, center punched and drilled them to 25/64. After checking fit, I wiped them down with gun cleaner and painted them Regal red. Each one is a hair over 20 lbs so I can't wait to see if they help. I also added a pic of the 9 inch diameter by 4-1/2 thick steel I'm trying to get cut.

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

If I would have had a good drill press and bit and vice could have gotten them drilled out, but again a fresh 10-14 tpi bi-metal band in a horizontal bandsaw should slice that chunk into 4 nice slugs the next part would be boring the hub center hole big enough to clear.

slim67
36 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

If I would have had a good drill press and bit and vice could have gotten them drilled out, but again a fresh 10-14 tpi bi-metal band in a horizontal bandsaw should slice that chunk into 4 nice slugs the next part would be boring the hub center hole big enough to clear.

I have a coworker with possible access to a good bandsaw at a machine shop. I told hime if he can get it cut into 4 pieces, he can have two for helping me. He's a Wheel Horse owner and a good guy. I meant to add WVHB that I drilled the wheels not the weights.

Edited by slim67
add
  • Like 1

slim67

That's  the end result and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Now just waiting for the next storm.

IMG_1685.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH
Just now, slim67 said:

That's  the end result and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Now just waiting for the next storm.

IMG_1685.JPG

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

slim67
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-thankyouyellow: sir

• Like 2

JohnD
On 12/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, slim67 said:

Plasma cutter?

The only plasma cutter I have access to is 45W and can cut 3/4" steel.  For 4.5" I expect you need a pretty strong plasma cutter. 

• Like 1

skippy1969

I have the WH front weights and the plastic 75 lb WH weights on the rear of my 520 H

3D8AB203-4BD2-4982-BC5C-208EA559E9BA.jpeg

• Like 3

Maxwell-8

Except for plowing and snow-removal, Why would you use Tire weights?

Would they be good for traction in a mudhole?