JCM

Trail Maint/ tine raking/ Tree clean up

JCM

Resumed the Trail maint today after yesterdays storm. These are the same trails that were in my post here on 11-29-20 with a few other. Those of you who were here for the Sept M&G should recognize them. Used the bucket loader tractor to open them up and pack them and hopefully tomorrow use the 4- wheeler with a simple drag to smooth them out. If the winter produces snow throughout the season and the trails stay nice maybe a Winter trail ride is in order with gas grille and beverages some Saturday, any takers. Also a shot of the cabin with it's winter clothes on.

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, JCM said:

, any takers

Sure as heck don't need to ask me twice...

I may have to beg the use of a tractor or two though because my trailer is now very nicely buried. 

• Haha 1

Sparky
2 hours ago, JCM said:

If the winter produces snow throughout the season and the trails stay nice maybe a Winter trail ride is in order with gas grille and beverages some Saturday, any takers. 

I’m always game...a bit of a long ride though :eusa-think: .

Actually might have a job up near you soon, like February or early March.

• Like 3

JCM
7 minutes ago, Sparky said:

March can be a good time to try for, hard to tell, would be fun tho if it worked out Mike. We shall see.   :thumbs:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, Sparky said:

If you need/want a place to stay let us know. 

Dog's alright but I'm hard to live with. 

You WON'T leave hungry for damn sure. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

OK I guess i am odd.  But what is with this trail ride stuff.  If you want to appreciate nature get out and walk through it.    You will see things walking that you will never see ridding around on a noisy polluting vehicle...Kids these days only want to be outside if they are riding some gas powered vehicle.  Great training for them you can only have fun if you are burning fossil fuels and tearing up nature.....

• Like 1

Sparky
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

OK I guess i am odd.  But what is with this trail ride stuff.  If you want to appreciate nature get out and walk through it.    You will see things walking that you will never see ridding around on a noisy polluting vehicle...Kids these days only want to be outside if they are riding some gas powered vehicle.  Great training for them you can only have fun if you are burning fossil fuels and tearing up nature.....

I walk, ride my mountainbike and occasionally take a tractor in the woods. 
  I love a chance to get some seat time in and not have to be cutting grass or shoving snow to get it. And if a few other tractor lovin people like myself ride along all the better! 
 To each their own....

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I walk, ride my mountainbike and occasionally take a tractor in the woods

We do the same although the bike is a rarity. 

Different types of appreciation I find. 

We do a BUNCH of walking and hiking so I don't feel the least bit bad about an occasional tractor ride for no particular purpose. 

• Like 3

JCM

Back at it today with the 4 wheeler. Starting to pack down nice. I don't get my hopes up to much because Iv'e had them look like this before then a warm spell and the leaves and pine needles return, then snow again. It is a lot of work but I truly do enjoy working outdoors in the cold, it sure beats doing plumbing work all the time. Something different that is why I love New England and it's 4 seasons, always changing. Besides the Deer herd love to walk on them and it makes it easier for them to outrun the coyotes.   :handgestures-thumbup:

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

Edited by JCM
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Maxwell-8
7 minutes ago, JCM said:

Back at it today with the 4 wheeler. Starting to pack down nice. I don't get my hopes up to much because Iv'e had them look like this before then a warm spell and the leaves and pine needles return, then snow again. It is a lot of work but I truly do enjoy working outdoors in the cold, it sure beats doing plumbing work all the time. Something different that is why I love New England and it's 4 seasons, always changing. Besides the Deer herd love to walk on them and it makes it easier for them to outrun the coyotes.   :handgestures-thumbup:

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

Like it!, i need to get my a*s outside, doing stuff on the ranch! makes me live.

• Excellent 2

Sparky

Today I took my noisy polluting machine into the woods :rolleyes:...when I walk I see plenty of deer but they take off running as soon as they hear, see or smell me in the woods. But....if I’m on my tractor putting along the trail they literally stand still and stare at me till I’m about 100’ or so away. Only then do they move but they don’t run away, they simply walk away. Sometimes only 50’ or so, then they stop and chew on a leaf or whatever. If there’s a group of em usually one watches me on my tractor while the others are eating and pretty much paying me no mind. 

Not sure why but I can get super close if I’m on my tractor. And if I stop to snag a pic of a video the tractor must stay running. Shut it off and they are instantly on high alert. 
  Hopefully the video works (note: the tractor is running he whole time)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

Deer are used to farm machinery so they don't seem to get to excited by the noise until you get close. I've experienced the same with the deer around here. Even when I'm going down the driveway with the truck they just stand there until I get mighty close. And sometimes I have to actually stop until they decide to move.

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Like 2

1995 520H+96+97

This is why deer like tractors, chainsaws. FOOD.

Edited by 1995 520H+96+97
  • Excellent 1

JCM

After adding another connecting trail yesterday I figured it was another sunny day and good temps out why not do another one. This area was used for some purpose by the PO so I did not need to take any big stuff down and what I did removed will be added for next years fire wood. This trail is off of the main trail that goes from the yard area headed to the brook about half way down on the right hand side. It was the 418-A's turn to help out today.

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

• Excellent 3

Maxwell-8
2 minutes ago, JCM said:

After adding another connecting trail yesterday I figured it was another sunny day and good temps out why not do another one. This area was used for some purpose by the PO so I did not need to take any big stuff down and what I did removed will be added for next years fire wood. This trail is off of the main trail that goes from the yard area headed to the brook about half way down on the right hand side. It was the 418-A's turn to help out today.

IMG_0568.JPG

It looks like somebody is having fun!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

It looks like somebody is having fun!

Oh yeah he is!

@JCM it's good that you spread the workload among the herd. 

• Haha 1

Sparky

Jim.

You have great property for trails. Down here in Connecticut it’s so rocky, it’s hard to find a nice straight stretch to blaze a trail. Always twisting and turning around rocks.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Jim.

You have great property for trails. Down here in Connecticut it’s so rocky, it’s hard to find a nice straight stretch to blaze a trail. Always twisting and turning around rocks.

That's how it is here too Mike. 

Our trails are most certainly useable for gathering firewood but not anything to do with Straight. 

Almost always in 2nd gear at half throttle when jouncing down through the trees. 

Rugged. 

JCM
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Oh yeah he is!

@JCM it's good that you spread the workload among the herd. 

I try to keep the hours down on all of them. I may be giving the 312-8 off from mowing this year and use the 418-A  with the 48'' SD mower. May have to pick up some more 5 gallon jugs for spares.    :D

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, JCM said:

I try to keep the hours down on all of them. I may be giving the 312-8 off from mowing this year and use the 418-A  with the 48'' SD mower. May have to pick up some more 5 gallon jugs for spares.    :D

Well at least you have a non ethanol station right close by now!

• Like 1

JCM

As I mentioned in the Dec 19th post about not getting to excited about the snow lasting for the duration of Winter, we did lose most of it except where the sun don't shine. I headed out this morning and started the grooming process with the bucket loader in the float position with the 60'' bucket curled back a bit to flatten and smooth out the snow. After that a test run with the 418 A and 420 LSE get them good and hot for a mid-winter run and back inside.

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, JCM said:

where the sun don't shine

I've had LOTS of people tell me to put stuff there over the years.....

:scared-eek::scared-eek::scared-eek::scared-eek:

• Haha 2

JCM
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've had LOTS of people tell me to put stuff there over the years.....

:scared-eek::scared-eek::scared-eek::scared-eek:

Hahahahah, What am I going to do with You , @WHX24  and Rodney Dangerfield doing stand up together would have been something to see back in the day.   :ROTF:

• Like 1

WHX??
5 hours ago, JCM said:

lose most of it except where the sun don't shine 

I lost a few things there myself.... Wife says ya lose something? Yah I told her ....she says good.

I tell ya I get no respect....

My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I said how about a little action .... she got me a loaded revolver...here she said play with yourself. 

I wrote that joke for Rodney back in the eighties.... he never used it ... told me I was being too kind to his wife. He asked me if I knew his wife... I says no. He says you wanna? 

I tell ya I get no respect.

Seriously Plunge you ever consider makeing a drag like the snowmobile clubs have for grooming trails? Maybe an old tailgate with some weight on it? Horses just kinda glide over it then? 

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, JCM said:

Hahahahah, What am I going to do with You , @WHX24  and Rodney Dangerfield doing stand up together would have been something to see back in the day.   :ROTF:

You're giving me waaaaaaaaaaaaayy too much credit!!!

I just calls em as I sees em. 

• Haha 1