DennisThornton

Prepping? Preppers?

WHNJ701
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina has us set up to stay in our own yard for at 3 to 4 weeks. 

The only thing we'd run out of is milk. Not a big deal. 

Goats?

• Like 3

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Goats?

Both of us having tried goat cheese and not being overly fond of it I'm not sure if goats milk would be a viable alternative.

I do understand though that it might be the most delicious thing I've ever had and I just don't know it yet. 

If one of us was home part-time or more and we had the ability to care for animals we would have cows, more and a better variety of chickens, and pigs. 

DennisThornton

I've always wanted goats. Got a picture of me riding one as very little fellow.  Low maintenance milk, cheese and chevon!  But all animals have downsides.  Our chickens free range and one needs to watch where they step.  Had a flock a few years back that would pull all the mulch out of the flower beds.  Each and every day!  Oh!  And they love tomatoes!  Never had goats but the next door neighbors have several small breeds.  I often see them on top of their vehicles!  I'd love to have enough fencing for them to browse the woods yet stay out of the yard and garden but full sized goats like deer can jump most fencing.  And goats will chew on most everything.  It's a nice idea and I think I will keep it that way.

What I've been doing, being prepared, is very difficult for me to define.  I see it with many different levels.  Some folks shop daily or even eat out ALL the time.  Some got to town weekly.  The Mormons suggest a years worth of food.  I'd need help from my garden and perhaps woods but I'm pretty sure I could do that now.  Might tire of beans and rice but I really like both.  Is a year enough?  Who knows?  Too much?  I hope so!

I mostly didn't leave home for about 2 months during the CoVid outbreak.  Didn't need to and I'm very glad that I didn't have to.  And I could have gone longer but I would have started to run out of some things.  I intend to store more fuel but that has it's issues.  I think I'll have 20 gal drums that I will rotate and always have at least one or two full.  Tractors and generators need fuel!  

ebinmaine

I've read the same rumors about trucking and industry strikes but it's nothing to do with me and quite frankly I didn't pay that much attention. 

Up until the late seventies it was one of the most lucrative things you could do and then the government deregulated the industry...

There are those who say there is a Day of reckoning coming for the industry as a whole and obviously that would have widespread effects. 

With something in the area of 10 or 11 acres we have plenty of land for whatever animals we could want and still have a huge availability of firewood.

An issue with us that can't be ignored is that we have every type of predator that New England has to offer right on our own mountainside so as much as we would love to free-range any of our animals we just can't. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

We've lost chickens to hawks, foxes, weasels and we think a fisher.  Something climbed all over a pickup and van chasing chickens.  Took 3 full grown in one morning.  We have lots of coyotes and the occasional big cat.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

We've lost chickens to hawks, foxes, weasels and we think a fisher.  Something climbed all over a pickup and van chasing chickens.  Took 3 full grown in one morning.  We have lots of coyotes and the occasional big cat.

Mountain lions in the Northeast are so ultra rare that to the best of the knowledge of anyone in the area there are no mating pairs and they don't have to be acknowledged as a resident so to speak. 

I don't know about the other states but here in Maine gray wolves and timber rattlesnakes are listed the same way.

I've seen two mountain lions in my lifetime.

One was in Wendell Massachusetts and the other was in Thomaston Maine.

Both occasions I was with another person who was also outdoors inclined such as myself or I wouldn't have believed my own eyes...

We've heard a wolf howl up north but never seen one.

At the farm across the street up the mountain a bit they keep a game camera on all the time so as to monitor conditions and also for curiosities sake. 

Back about 9:00 or 12 years ago they had what they firmly believe was a mountain lion crossed the frame...

But to get back to preparations in general as is the threat about, we have a consistent local population of coyotes, bobcats, fishers, raccoons and foxes, and for birds we have eagles but they don't normally take live prey. Nesting right here on the side of the mountain we have red shouldered hawks, barred owls and great horned owls.... Not to mention whatever other occasionals are following the thermals riding the ridges. 

We also have a healthy population of black bears which are not normally meat eaters in this area but they absolutely will open up a chicken coop to get to the food.

With all that in mind I don't see us having chickens out free-ranging anytime in the near future.

I hadn't really given it a lot of thought in the past but I suppose if I can keep a goat IN I am probably accidentally going to be keeping other things OUT as well except birds of course. 

• Like 1

WHNJ701

@ebinmaine I caught this mountain lion in the back yard last spring, now he won't leave the house.  

PXL_20201127_145438663.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, jabelman said:

@ebinmaine I caught this mountain lion in the back yard last spring, now he won't leave the house.  

That's the most dangerous kind of all right there

I believe the Latin name is something to do with mountainous in-housus caticuss. 

bottjernat1

I have a few preps of course guns and plenty of ammo, tools, odds and ends, also have a few pails like these.

pails.JPG

• Like 1

DennisThornton
5 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

I have a few preps of course guns and plenty of ammo, tools, odds and ends, also have a few pails like these.

pails.JPG

Most of my long term foods are just dried foods that I've either vac packed or sealed with O2 absorbers but I do have some commercially prepared long term foods.  I think it's wise to do so. 

And yes some protection and ammo.  I have enough that someone will get me before I run out.  Just yesterday I heard from a friend that a long time acquaintance, 85 years old, a few minutes from my home, was pistol whipped to near death and died in the hospital days later.  Druggies beat his door down and demanded all his money.  Beat him in front of his wife.  85...  What a way to go.  Puts another spin on "being prepared"!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

bottjernat1
20 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

And yes some protection and ammo.  I have enough that someone will get me before I run out.  Just yesterday I heard from a friend that a long time acquaintance, 85 years old, a few minutes from my home, was pistol whipped to near death and died in the hospital days later.  Druggies beat his door down and demanded all his money.  Beat him in front of his wife.  85...  What a way to go.  Puts another spin on "being prepared"!

I never use to be prepared at all. But in the last 5 to 10 years I have been concerned about where we are heading in this world. Sorry to hear about your friend. So sad folks cant grow up and go get a job. I live in a house full of girls, and girls no man would ever mess with trust me. My wife and daughters are a better shot then me so if anybody trys to break in better hope i shot at you before my wife does. LOL. This is how cautious i am. My daughter had a friend a couple years ago just walked up into my home I always have a 357  by me. Lets just say that girl never again walked into my house without knocking. She almost craped herself. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

In 1986 I moved from the greater Cincinnati area to here in the rural Adirondacks to raise my 3 boys away from drugs.  Well, the drug dealers had a better distribution system than most corporations, little did I know!  But armed robbery and murder is still a rarity, thank goodness but having it that close by to someone I've known for decades is somewhat scary.  Add that to all the other crap that's going on and all the rumors and I'm glad that I've added protection, provisions and plans.

• Like 1

Stormin
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 2:12 AM, ebinmaine said:

The only thing we'd run out of is milk. Not a big deal. 

Goats!! :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

slim67
On 11/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, DennisThornton said:

Most of my long term foods are just dried foods that I've either vac packed or sealed with O2 absorbers but I do have some commercially prepared long term foods.  I think it's wise to do so. 

One word for the druggies....Shockwave 12 gauge

On 11/30/2020 at 8:05 AM, DennisThornton said:

I've always wanted goats. Got a picture of me riding one as very little fellow.  Low maintenance milk, cheese and chevon!  But all animals have downsides.  Our chickens free range and one needs to watch where they step.  Had a flock a few years back that would pull all the mulch out of the flower beds.  Each and every day!  Oh!  And they love tomatoes!  Never had goats but the next door neighbors have several small breeds.  I often see them on top of their vehicles!  I'd love to have enough fencing for them to browse the woods yet stay out of the yard and garden but full sized goats like deer can jump most fencing.  And goats will chew on most everything.  It's a nice idea and I think I will keep it that way.

What I've been doing, being prepared, is very difficult for me to define.  I see it with many different levels.  Some folks shop daily or even eat out ALL the time.  Some got to town weekly.  The Mormons suggest a years worth of food.  I'd need help from my garden and perhaps woods but I'm pretty sure I could do that now.  Might tire of beans and rice but I really like both.  Is a year enough?  Who knows?  Too much?  I hope so!

I mostly didn't leave home for about 2 months during the CoVid outbreak.  Didn't need to and I'm very glad that I didn't have to.  And I could have gone longer but I would have started to run out of some things.  I intend to store more fuel but that has it's issues.  I think I'll have 20 gal drums that I will rotate and always have at least one or two full.  Tractors and generators need fuel!  

Do they sell ethanol free by you? I never knew how much water that stuff absorbs.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Goats!! :handgestures-thumbup:

Do you or have you raised goats.  I'd to but I've seen, read and heard enough that I don't dare.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, slim67 said:

One word for the druggies....Shockwave 12 gauge

Do they sell ethanol free by you? I never knew how much water that stuff absorbs.

Yes, thank goodness!  Several stations have premium no ethanol.  I try to not put anything else into a container!  Long term storage I'd still want some Stabil or ...

• Like 2

Stormin

Many years ago my ex and I had goats. Two nannies and a billy. Nannies are not a problem and give nice milk. Billys are a different kettle of fish. Smelly with dirty habits.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
10 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Many years ago my ex and I had goats. Two nannies and a billy. Nannies are not a problem and give nice milk. Billys are a different kettle of fish. Smelly with dirty habits.

Been told the same about Billy's!  But I've heard troubles with does as well.  Climbing on vehicles, eating everything and containment issues with jumping or climbing over all the fencing.  Now, I have read that IF they have little reason to escape AND have a place to climb they might not jump the fence even though they could.  I have no interest in milking for now, I just think I would enjoy one as a pet.  And of course no Billy, no kids and no milk.  I'd like that too but I'm not ready for all that.  Might never be!

• Like 1

Stormin

Kept mine tethered during the day. Fallacy they will eat anything. Only what you don't want them too. Won't eat thistles, nettles etc unless been cut down for 2 - 3 days.

• Haha 2

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Kept mine tethered during the day. Fallacy they will eat anything. Only what you don't want them too. Won't eat thistles, nettles etc unless been cut down for 2 - 3 days.

That's funny!  One of the reasons I wanted goats was for them to browse!  I've seen what Scottish Highlanders can do I thought goats were even better!

• Like 1

Greentored

Some good reading here fellas!

I've always been the somewhat self sufficient one, at least with home and vehicle repairs, hunting for meat, etc... and, oh, it would be a bad idea to break into my home, shop, vehicle, or try to harm family or myself;)

That means even more these days with the way this world is getting.

Last year with purchase of a weekend getaway/flip property, I tried gardening, learned a ton, had some success, and was also glad there was a grocery store in town haha. Unfortunately not there enough to have chickens, goats, etc... 

Just working every day to being as self reliant, independent, off the grid, and prepared as I can be. The current events have kicked that goal up a notch....

Guys like us should do just fine if the stuff hits the fan:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Some good reading here fellas!

I've always been the somewhat self sufficient one, at least with home and vehicle repairs, hunting for meat, etc... and, oh, it would be a bad idea to break into my home, shop, vehicle, or try to harm family or myself;)

That means even more these days with the way this world is getting.

Last year with purchase of a weekend getaway/flip property, I tried gardening, learned a ton, had some success, and was also glad there was a grocery store in town haha. Unfortunately not there enough to have chickens, goats, etc... 

Just working every day to being as self reliant, independent, off the grid, and prepared as I can be. The current events have kicked that goal up a notch....

Guys like us should do just fine if the stuff hits the fan:handgestures-thumbupright:

I've got the basics covered in depths but it's the little things that concern me, what I've NOT thought of and what I've not predicted or practiced.  Call me crazy but I'm going to start flipping the main from time to time and test my plans for off grid.  Not sure how long the lady of the house will tolerate that but she will to some extent, especially if I've done my work and made it easy to get by.  I value being prepared and as independent as I can be, within reason, whatever that means.  Prepared for a day of no power?  Three days?  Week?  BIG solar flare frying the grid and perhaps a year or better?  I'm shooting for 3 days with as little interruption and discomfort as practical and then maybe work up from there.  I did 10 days during the great ice storm but there was a bit more discomfort than I'd like the next time.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bds1984
On 11/30/2020 at 11:36 AM, jabelman said:

I have one of them, too, and this one loves going into the garden and sampling. In my hometown there have been many sightings of big cats in the Thumb of Michigan. 

received_1281759121991459.jpeg

20191008_200733.jpg

20190722_121013.jpg

• Heart 1

bds1984

In all seriousness, I could get by for a month.  I grew up in the middle of corn fields and state land and learned from my grandparents, who lived on farms during the Great Depression, on how to get by.  I hear stories from my dad's mom about how they had it "rough" on the farm but then it'd be followed up with "we had all the food we'd want and my mother would take us to town in the Ford V8 or Hudson while my dad had a drink in the passenger seat". 
I'm not too worried if things ever got bad as I have skills and goods I can barter with if needed.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
58 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

In all seriousness, I could get by for a month.  I grew up in the middle of corn fields and state land and learned from my grandparents, who lived on farms during the Great Depression, on how to get by.  I hear stories from my dad's mom about how they had it "rough" on the farm but then it'd be followed up with "we had all the food we'd want and my mother would take us to town in the Ford V8 or Hudson while my dad had a drink in the passenger seat". 
I'm not too worried if things ever got bad as I have skills and goods I can barter with if needed.

Great!  I'm trying to get better and better at being more self sufficient for longer and longer and I'm always eager to hear how others are doing the same.  This group has lots of garden tractors as opposed to city dwellers who simply couldn't.  City dweller will suffer horribly if the supply chain breaks down!  I don't want to be part of that group!  Hundred years ago many lived self sufficiently but today most expect their needs to be always available locally or via some delivery. 

What if for some reason it isn't?

• Like 1