WheelhorseBob

Frame strength.

WheelhorseBob

I just yesterday pulled my first Horse down to the bare frame. As an ex welder fabricator I thought the area where the frame mounts to the transaxle appeared less than strong. I did what any self respecting man of the 21st century would do and googled wheel horse frame failures. Well, seems that area is quite susceptible to failure under some uses. I then looked at all 6 of my Horses and low and behold the 93’ 520 had what appears to be a reinforced mount. Looks like a plate of 3/16 or 1/4” added. Question, I intend to restore my 416 with loader which has the standard mount. With a loader should I think about reinforcing this area? Most post‘s I viewed attributed the failures to snow plows or rototillers. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Great catch there Bob !

Here's a thread I keep a link to in my email. 

Excellent information. 

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

Thank you Eric, those are very doable additions! I‘ll do one or the other to the 121 just cause I’m there. The 416 wasn’t going to come apart to this extent unless it needs to. That being said has anyone seen frame failures attributed to FEL’s given the 3 point mounting? By three point I mean front attachamatic, mid attachamatic and rear axle. Just curious?

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

This is the plate someone else posted. Wheelhorse did add this plate to the 520h and it was a part that could be purchased from them but not anymore. But even with this added its best to add supports to the frame.

6949739639_6e4edfd2e6_m.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

JoeM
7 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

With a loader should I think about reinforcing this area

It would not hurt if you have it apart. I have two FEL's on 520H frames and both have been okay. We do work them hard at times and they have held up.

I will say they are not the standard WH / Ark loader. These are fabricated with 2x2 11 gauge sub frames. One high force area on a loader is the support arm from the tower to the front frame. It is important to check those loader mounts on a routine basis.  

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

Most post‘s I viewed attributed the failures to snow plows

When people slam a snowplow into a frozen snowbank or a curb the snowplow (and the rear axle it is attached to) stop abruptly while the forward momentum of the tractor and operator attempt to continue going forward. The poor little metal transaxle plate tak  es the brunt of the blow. The failure wasn't the snowplow's fault, it was the operator's fault.       :soapbox:

With a good sub-frame the forces exerted by a FEL are transferred directly to the axles saving the tractor frame. Never hurts to take a look at your frame because it could have been abused by a previous owner.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

squonk

You got it apart. DO IT! :helmet:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

BOB,  agree with you on detailing and reinforcing that frame, I  personally thought that the FEL TRACTOR SHOULD HAVE HAD A TOTALLY DIFFERENT FRAME . just looking at the basics of frame width to bucket width is showing you huge mechanical over reach on the frame, insuring cracking failure . just the front end alone , with single pivot point , and axel spindle set up , is fine for basic yard work , but over hang and reach with weight and hydraulic advantage is what twists and  cracks these narrow frames . the other thing  is operator error , like using your horse like a battering ram , this is only my own opinion , and what I have seen  others do is pretty scary , pete  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

I wonder if Wheel Horse used a better grade of angle iron than the usual A36.  I have worked my frame hard with a FEL, and so far no problem.  There are high strength grades available at a higher price.  If you ever cut bed frame angle iron you might have experienced the difference.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

used to make hundreds of feet of angle steel, glass pipe, mounting hangers , I can appreciate  a higher grade angle steel . a lot of damage is operator error , I was fortunate to start my working years with a guy that owned heavy equipment , he would show you how to operate anything , with the idea of not destroying it.  he also taught me how to mirror drive , and back up equipment , when I was in the guard , first driving test , sgt said nothing , got done , first thing he said was , you've driven equipment , you will be driving duce an half , 5 ton, 10 ton wrecker , up to the airport exchange . regularly drove up wrecks , for rebuilding , and drove back like new trucks . ENJOYED MY GUARD TIME , PETE  

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

Wow, what a great informational post! I’ve worked with mainly two carbon steels in my boiler maker days. A36 and 516-70. We built the large cryogenic storage vessels and all of the outer vacuum jackets were 3/8 A36 with 4x4x1/2  A36 angle rings for reinforcing. All lifting lugs and foot pads were 1-1/4” 516-70. A 36 is pretty strong imo. I’m going to make some combination of what has been shown here. Thanks again for the great informative responses!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

great informational post

You'll find that a LOT here. 

Great folks more than willing to help and a very wide variety of backgrounds. 

Many different skill sets as well. 

• Heart 1