JoeM

Thanksgiving and Covid Something different.

JoeM

Having some family members knocked off their feet with the virus and others in the high risk area, my daughter in law planned dinner a little different this year. Always having a big spread, she still cooked for everyone but had the dinners delivered in to go containers. My wife and I ate alone at the dinning room table, talked, and looked at the family photos displayed across the buffet. Nice! 

Our fridge looks like we had a take out extravaganza! :D

1050632178_TKtakeout1.jpg.7084195718231b5725d9b90441f25f7a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

peter lena

JOE, with what's going on , seams like everyone is doing something different , ours was also different , but with all the regular changes we make , adapting to what ever you have to do , gets it done , had some family time , and that's what matters most , thanks for sharing , pete 

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Couldn't find a small turkey, so we bought a roasting chicken, and wife and I ate alone.   Then we Zoomed with 3 children, 8 grandchildren, and a great-grandchild all at the same time.   We got to see everyone on Zoom for about an hour, yet we didn't have all of the hassle of the prep and clean up.   And didn't have to wear masks. Thank goodness for Zoom and Skype.

Y'all stay safe out there.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Our plans changed 2 hours before dinner. Our daughter, who lives 1 mile from us, had dinner planned at her home this year. This would have been the first family dinner gathering at her house since a 2-year long remodeling took place. She was very excited. My son and his family were also attending. Prior to Thanksgiving, everyone had been very careful. Some of us isolated, some had negative covid tests, but no one had been in a situation where Covid would have been a problem...until my daughter received info yesterday morning that a fellow employee at the veterinary office where she works part-time, had tested positive after coming to work sick. My daughter had not been in direct contact with this person, she had been in contact with others who had. Needless to say, exercising an abundance of caution, dinner at her house was canceled.  She was devastated, and furious at the employee and her employer. However, we made the best of it. I had roasted a 20 pound turkey and my wife made apple pies, so the plans changed. My son and family diverted to my house (we had all been together for four days at their townhouse in Ocean City, MD, not going anywhere) and none of us had been in contact with my daughter or her family for at least 10 days. So I carved the turkey, divided it and the pies, then divided the food brought by my son, and I delivered it to my daughters family. I then picked up portions of the food she'd prepared and left on a table in her driveway. Her food was then placed into the oven for cooking, reheating and virus-killing, and we all had a virtual Thanksgiving. Not at all what had been planned, but no one went hungry, and I think we all stayed safe.  After dinner, and all the guests had gone home, I told my wife that I want to be the first to get vaccinated as soon as it's available. I am so tired of this sh*t.

canceled.jpg.c2efcbccd43aeb81585fcf636c831d45.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Ed Kennell

We cancelled our normal 18-20 person dinner.      Our Thanksgiving meal was a  cheesy spinach sausage  quiche we made and took to my 96 yo MIL. 

My son Mark is making a traditional turkey dinner on Sunday.   It will be drive thru carry out for everyone.    We all look forward for the oyster stuffing.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Well, since the 3 of us have had the virus, and we still don't have our strength back full yet.  We decided to go along with just the immediate family and let the other family members, we usually have, fend for themselves...which was no problem.  We also have not been hungry enough to do the traditional, big dinner...clean up was an issue.  What did sound good was a Fish Boil.  One pot dinner, which also doubled as a serving dish and a small pan of melted butter.

So, we found the Old Bay seasoning and salt and brought a large pot of water to a boil.  We use Pearl onions, and Red potatoes and carrots, and when ready we added fillets of Cod, peeled Shrimp, and medium sized Scallops.  Plus, we had to have some cranberry sauce.  This all came out excellent and cleanup was next to nothing.  I can see a new tradition starting here...after all...the Pilgrims' did not really have Turkey that day.  Come to think of it...they may have had a Fish Boil at the 1st Thanksgiving.  :occasion-xmas:  :confusion-confused:

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I told my wife that I want to be the first to get vaccinated as soon as it's available. I am so tired of this sh*

:text-yeahthat:

dcrage
20 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I told my wife that I want to be the first to get vaccinated as soon as it's available. I am so tired of this sh*t.

YES!!